Showing results 1 to 25 of 142
Search took 1.57 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Liam O'Connor
Forum: Technology July 9th 14, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Liam O'Connor
Why did my lug nut studs break?

On 9 Jul 2014 09:43:47 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Given the description of the original poster, this is probably what happened.
> I've done it myself.

Chryslers used to have left-hand threads on...
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 08:04 PM Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.mobile.android,rec.autos.driving
Replies: 719
Posted By Liam O'Connor
Finally, California drivers can read a cell phone map (iPad too?)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:02:42 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> The only way a Stop sign does not control speed is when selfish morons
> ignore it. Normal intelligent people, *slow down* and *stop* ......
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:39:12 -0700, Liam O'Connor wrote:

> I guess for those *entering* the roadway, a 60mph vehicle
> with headlights may seem more imposing than a 60mph vehicle
> sans headlights?...
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Replies: 719
Posted By Liam O'Connor
Finally, California drivers can read a cell phone map (iPad too?)

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:39:12 -0700, Liam O'Connor wrote:

> On highway 17, which is a dangerous road, no doubt, I can't
> imagine how headlights make *any* difference in daylight
> hours for...
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:08:12 -0400, nospam wrote:

> requiring headlights when visibility is not affected, such as in a
> sunshower, is dumb.

I agree with you.
On highway 17, which is a dangerous...
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:28:45 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

> The section between Paso Robles and Cholame (that was where James Dean
> was killed at the SR46W-SR41 intersection) is a mandatory daytime
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 03:13 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
Replies: 82
Posted By Liam O'Connor
What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 09:08:46 -0700, sms wrote:

> I only know of one instance of someone lobbying for a stop sign, and it
> was my sister. She had to go through the neighborhood and gather the
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 03:10 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:46:18 -0400, Arif Khokar wrote:

> Two yield signs for the designated minor road would even be cheaper.

Normally, I don't see "yeild" signs on T intersections though.
So, a...
Forum: Driving March 11th 14, 03:07 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:01:03 -0400, None wrote:

> The most important thing you should do is whine about it on Usenet.

Point taken!

Advice is to contact the local authorities and perform...
Forum: Driving March 10th 14, 05:30 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 16:38:50 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

> The traffic engineer, who had not done a
> traffic study, agreed with you? How could a traffic engineer decide that
> without any data?...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:29 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 10:05:24 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

> I'd look into how you can demonstrate that they are
> "no longer needed". So you'll need a traffic study.

Hi David,
I don't disagree...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:25 PM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
Replies: 82
Posted By Liam O'Connor
What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 10:05:24 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

> You have demonstrated that the stop signs do not follow a set of
> guidelines. You have not shown that the signs are illegal. Let's...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 05:41:26 -0500, Neil Ellwood wrote:

> If you are driving a car at around 30mph where there is stop sign on a
> side road how near are you to first recognise the shape of the...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:53 AM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 08:33:38 +0800, xfile wrote:

> In a perfect world where people don¢t get distracted when driving a
> vehicle and have a super memory for following every traffic rule, it¢s
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:31 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 03:55:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> Once enough nonsencical stop signs are used people stop respecting the
> nonsensical ones and occasionally the ones that make sense.

That's...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:30 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:33:43 -0500, Arif Khokar wrote:

> Maybe you can find out what your neighbors think about the
> stop sign. If most of them have the same viewpoint

On this, I doubt that the...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:28 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 08:28:13 -0500, David L. Martel wrote:

> I don't find "it's illegal" to be a very credible argument.

This was good advice, from someone who knows.
So I appreciate your time,...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:25 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:26:20 -0500, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> Such arrogance is astounding.
>> Stop at the damn sign before you kill someone.
> No one is going to get killed, so calm down Beavis.

It's...
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:22 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:53:19 -0800, sms wrote:

> I used to live in Campbell and still own property there.

I met you once. You don't remember probably, but it was
at the Pool Guys, in Saratoga....
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:21 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation
Replies: 82
Posted By Liam O'Connor
What is the process to have an illegal STOP sign removed?

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 16:53:19 -0800, sms wrote:

> But it's not illegal for a city to
> misuse them.

Is that really true?

I had simply *assumed* that the "rule" for misuse was an
actual legal one.
Forum: Driving March 9th 14, 03:20 AM Posted to misc.legal,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,ba.transportation

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:00:22 -0800, sms wrote:

> Stop signs are often used for traffic calming even when other traffic
> calming measures would be more appropriate. Stop signs are relatively
Forum: Driving March 8th 14, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:47:10 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

> Octoganal; that's the same for the entire country.

Did you also know that the sign MUST be a certain width
and distance above the...
Forum: Driving March 8th 14, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:53:43 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> You'll probably find the Stop sign is octaganal. :-)

And, it is that way expressly so the guy facing the
BACK side of the sign, knows that...
Forum: Driving March 8th 14, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 11:19:07 -0800, Don Kirkman wrote:

> In my state, California, Stop signs are red and hexagonal, Yield signs
> are yellow and triangular. I assume most US states have similar
Forum: Driving March 8th 14, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad