Showing results 1 to 25 of 70
Search took 0.37 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bob Hoover
Forum: VW air cooled April 23rd 09, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 11
Posted By Bob Hoover
Leaking valve cover gasket q.

ASSUMING... the use of stock valve covers and gaskets, tool marks on
the valve gallery sealing surface are the most common cause for
symptoms of a persistent leak. SOP is to check the sealing...
Forum: VW air cooled April 20th 09, 06:36 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Bob Hoover
Template for Oil Cooler L-Bracket Seal in db& Hot VWs May 2009Issue

On Apr 16, 8:59*am, wrote:
> Wouldn't a foam rubber strip at the base of the oil cooler do the same
Forum: VW air cooled April 12th 09, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Bob Hoover
"Blueprinting" VW heads

On Apr 10, 7:45*pm, Geoffe Elias > wrote:

> *I guess besides the fact
> that watercooled engines can handle autodetonation better due to their
> ability to shed waste heat...
Forum: VW air cooled April 10th 09, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Hoover
For illustrators

To All:

The URL below will take you to a 3D drawing of a VW engine. It
contains a lot of errors but it's the best such drawing I've...
Forum: VW air cooled April 10th 09, 10:56 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Bob Hoover
"Blueprinting" VW heads

On Apr 8, 2:50*pm, Geoffe Elias > wrote:
> *What tool should I use to get
> deep in there and clear out those places between the fins.
Forum: VW air cooled February 27th 09, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Bob Hoover
Conned I think

On Feb 26, 11:50*pm, "John" > wrote:
>... I found the primary ( 12 volt side) and the secondary (
> ouch side) to have all but identical resistances and inductance....
> I very...
Forum: VW air cooled February 8th 09, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 28
Posted By Bob Hoover
VW powered generator

On Feb 5, 8:42*am, wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
Works...
Forum: VW air cooled January 22nd 09, 12:01 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 37
Posted By Bob Hoover
Congratulations America!

On Jan 20, 9:34*am, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> Congratulations with you new president, great speech!...
Forum: VW air cooled January 2nd 09, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 9
Posted By Bob Hoover
What Every Woman Wants! (No, Seriously!)

It's due to the Dexamethasone of course. ('Dexy' to the trade.) Dexy
is one of those horrifically potent steroids that flat EATS cancerous
tumors. Along with everything else, alas. Which is why...
Forum: VW air cooled December 30th 08, 07:56 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 11
Posted By Bob Hoover
Spark Plugs

On Dec 29, 5:12*pm, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> > BTW when would the oil turn into carbon? *Under what conditions? *Curious
> > here! *;-)

Forum: VW air cooled December 22nd 08, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Bob Hoover
Quick-cure Epoxy

To All:

There are times when you need to put something together fast, often
while HOLDING the parts in positionby HAND, such as when you are
making a jig or fixture. Many times the fixture is made...
Forum: VW air cooled December 19th 08, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 12
Posted By Bob Hoover
Faster engine warmup question. Help Please!

On Dec 19, 8:40*am, Eddie > wrote:
> My engine doesn't have a thermostat or flaps. I live in So. Ca. and it
> was about 38 degrees this morning. *Today, I let it warm up...
Forum: VW air cooled December 19th 08, 06:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Hoover
ADJUSTING VW VALVES -- AGAIN

On Dec 18, 1:46*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Bob you are a wealth of information that is appreciated!...
Forum: VW air cooled December 19th 08, 06:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Hoover
ADJUSTING VW VALVES -- AGAIN

On Dec 18, 5:20*pm, John J > wrote:
> What about roller-rockers.
Dear John,

I've no idea.

There are lots of non-stock...
Forum: VW air cooled December 18th 08, 06:47 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 5
Posted By Bob Hoover
ADJUSTING VW VALVES -- AGAIN

I get a LOT of mail about adjusting the lash on Volkswagen valves, and
much of that mail comes from folks who are FLYING behind a converted
VW engine, making it a valid topic for this Newsgroup.

The...
Forum: VW air cooled December 2nd 08, 05:20 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 0
Posted By Bob Hoover
Valve Train Geometry

It must be winter... somewhere :-)

I've noticed that I get more questions about engine-building during
the cold months, along with comments such as '...not driving the bug
now that WINTER is...
Forum: VW air cooled November 29th 08, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Hoover
Sealing Tin-ware Gaps

To All:

In a recent post to this Group regarding assembly of a VW engine, I
said the only place to use an RTV compound would be on the base of the
cylinders where they contact the crankcase.

This...
Forum: VW air cooled November 24th 08, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Bob Hoover
Why did they weld the holes in the refurbished rocker set?

On Nov 23, 7:20*pm, wrote:

> Why did they weld the holes in the refurbished rocker set?

For comparison, they...
Forum: VW air cooled November 23rd 08, 07:42 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 16
Posted By Bob Hoover
Heat for Feet

It's winter again. Every year about this time I get a raft of
messages asking what they can do about the poor heating in their bug
or bus.

Most don't like what I have to say :-)

The Volkswagen...
Forum: VW air cooled November 23rd 08, 06:38 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By Bob Hoover
Type 1 pushrod tube seals - getting it right

Dear Leopold,

I have never used "Hondabond II" so I can't offer an opinion. But as
a point of interest, that applies to an untold number of other
sealants in that, never having used them, I know...
Forum: VW air cooled November 22nd 08, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 12
Posted By Bob Hoover
Update to the saga

On Nov 20, 7:52*pm, " > wrote:

> And I just wanted to send a big thank you to Mr. Bob Hoover for all of
> his contributions in recent weeks. It's just been really...
Forum: VW air cooled November 21st 08, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 21, 5:44*am, Jan > wrote:

> similar. I sometimes use that to seal engine tin to the case to
> eliminate all air gaps. (You know how poorly the aftermarket tin...
Forum: VW air cooled November 21st 08, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 20, 4:49*pm, Leopold Stotch > wrote:

> * *What do you advocate using for the sealant?...
Forum: VW air cooled November 20th 08, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 14
Posted By Bob Hoover
Type 1 pushrod tube seals - getting it right

Dear Chris,

I see no evidence of leakage at the push-rod tube gaskets. The
sealing surface is nice & clean and the lip that caused the trouble I
wrote about some years ago is not evident in your...
Forum: VW air cooled November 19th 08, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By Bob Hoover
Hey Bob Hoover, Where Can I Get 20HD Oil?

On Nov 19, 11:47*am, wrote:
> Where Can I Get 20HD motor Oil?
> *I would like to use it in cold weather.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 70