AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone use an nForce2 on-board GF4MX for sims? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17315)

Kendt Eklund October 26th 04 12:53 AM

Anyone use an nForce2 on-board GF4MX for sims?

I'm getting ready to sell a processor and some memory to my brother to
put together a game rig, primarily for race sims (GPL, LFS, maybe some
newer stuff like F1c/mods).
Since the step up to any graphics card that's worth an upgrade from my
9700pro is still a bit too steep, and he's looking to save as much as
possible I recommended he get a nForce2 board with the IGP so he'd at
least have some type of 3d acceleration to start with (it's trivially
more expensive than a board without).
Anyone have experiences using the nForce2 IGP with sims, and maybe
other games? Is it slow enough that's its not worth bothering with?

TIA for any info!
Kendt

BTW this is for a AMD XP 2400+ CPU w/512 or 1gb RAM.

Charlie October 26th 04 01:10 AM

it's worth bothering with, imho. Not good, but will play plenty of
games on low detail / res.

Charlie

Dave Henrie October 26th 04 02:02 AM

(Kendt Eklund) wrote in
om:

> I'm getting ready to sell a processor and some memory to my brother to
> put together a game rig, primarily for race sims (GPL, LFS, maybe some
> newer stuff like F1c/mods).
> Since the step up to any graphics card that's worth an upgrade from my
> 9700pro is still a bit too steep, and he's looking to save as much as
> possible I recommended he get a nForce2 board with the IGP so he'd at
> least have some type of 3d acceleration to start with (it's trivially
> more expensive than a board without).
> Anyone have experiences using the nForce2 IGP with sims, and maybe
> other games? Is it slow enough that's its not worth bothering with?
>
> TIA for any info!
> Kendt
>
> BTW this is for a AMD XP 2400+ CPU w/512 or 1gb RAM.

i have an Abit Nf2 board and although I don't use the onboard video, I
love the motherboard. It boots faster than my old Asus, it runs more
stable, I have had zero mb problems. This includes getting good textures
from my ATI vidcard, my old Asus MB had all sorts of video corruption
issues when I stuck the ATI in. Just changing the mb cleared all that up.
dave henrie

Jussi Koukku October 26th 04 02:18 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:10:59 +1000, Charlie > wrote
something like:

>it's worth bothering with, imho. Not good, but will play plenty of
>games on low detail / res.

Yep. I built such a machine (2400+, Abit NF7-M, 512MB) for my wife's
cousin about a month ago, mainly for office use and casual gaming.
Runs GPL and Rally Trophy quite nicely, and isn't too bad with F1C
either... I guess I could've recommended him some non-driving games
too, but I don't really know about those =)
--
- Jussi Koukku -

Brent Burton October 28th 04 05:13 PM

(Kendt Eklund) wrote:
| I'm getting ready to sell a processor and some memory to my brother to
| put together a game rig, primarily for race sims (GPL, LFS, maybe some
| newer stuff like F1c/mods). [...]
| Anyone have experiences using the nForce2 IGP with sims, and maybe
| other games? Is it slow enough that's its not worth bothering with?

I do, and am happy with it overall. My machine is a small Shuttle box, nf2
board with the GF4MX. I run with 128MB assigned to the video (of the
512MB installed).

I run F1C, GPL, LFS, Racer, driving a 1280x1024 LCD panel.
I also other non-sim games on occasion. I run LFS with full graphics
detail, but at 1024x768; 12x10 is too much, but at 10x7 it maintains
a solid 50-60 refresh.

Kendt Eklund October 29th 04 02:02 PM

(Brent Burton) wrote in message >...

(Kendt Eklund) wrote:
> | I'm getting ready to sell a processor and some memory to my brother to
> | put together a game rig, primarily for race sims (GPL, LFS, maybe some
> | newer stuff like F1c/mods). [...]
> | Anyone have experiences using the nForce2 IGP with sims, and maybe
> | other games? Is it slow enough that's its not worth bothering with?
>
> I do, and am happy with it overall. My machine is a small Shuttle box, nf2
> board with the GF4MX. I run with 128MB assigned to the video (of the
> 512MB installed).
>
> I run F1C, GPL, LFS, Racer, driving a 1280x1024 LCD panel.
> I also other non-sim games on occasion. I run LFS with full graphics
> detail, but at 1024x768; 12x10 is too much, but at 10x7 it maintains
> a solid 50-60 refresh.

Cool - thanks for the info (and to the other posters as well). Just
got my XP-M barton (running @2.5Ghz) and 1 gig of 400Mhz DDR RAM in
(Patriot RAM fron NewEgg CAS2 - a steal for RAM this fast). I can't
believe how much faster my machine is with the upgrade.

Kendt