AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My odometer has lost its mind! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=375942)

ChrisKlinger April 23rd 13 10:58 PM

My odometer has lost its mind!

Filled up just after getting out of work, odometer shows 00621. Got home -
straight home - ODO shows 00636. It's a 5 mile ride...

No wonder I occasionally seem to get extraordinary MPG.

Bet I've been changing my oil too often, too.

Chris

Jorge[_2_] April 24th 13 05:45 AM

My odometer has lost its mind!

In article >,
ChrisKlinger > wrote:

> Filled up just after getting out of work, odometer shows 00621. Got home -
> straight home - ODO shows 00636. It's a 5 mile ride...
>
> No wonder I occasionally seem to get extraordinary MPG.
>
> Bet I've been changing my oil too often, too.
>
> Chris

I once sold a speedo to a guy with the same problem. I sold it cheap
because the needle had broken off. He was going to replace the MPH
pointer. Imagine how that could be done?
good luck!
--
Karma ; what a concept!

ChrisKlinger April 27th 13 09:19 PM

My odometer has lost its mind!

Jorge -
When I redid my '59/'60, I disassembled the speedo, fixed the odometer (and
reset it to 00000), and replaced the colored plastic for the
generator/oil/blinker lights. Never had a problem with it after that. Guess
putting a needle on shouldn't be too hard.

just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a tens
place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel to turn the
next one.

Chris

[email protected] April 28th 13 08:31 AM

My odometer has lost its mind!

> just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a
> tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel
> to turn the next one.
> Chris

All I can think of right now is friction between the wheels. ??
(prob'ly a really dumb idea)

---------------------

RAMVA was always cool, you could post that you turned your odometer
back to all zeros and no one ever threw a fit about it. LOL :)

Did that to my new-to-me '91 Bronco with 125k miles after I got it
and swapped the automatic transmission for a ZF 5 speed manual.

FullSizedBronco.com didn't either, they're pretty cool over there.
For a website forum, it's got a bad reputation.
Most guys can't handle it. xD

To me it's got kind of a "sweet" newsgroup feel to it. ;)

Alvin in AZ

ChrisKlinger April 29th 13 04:22 AM

My odometer has lost its mind!

LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have
dawned on me.

Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group :)

Boy, it's good to be home.

Chris

John[_28_] April 29th 13 07:53 AM

My odometer has lost its mind!

There is a little white gear that drives the readout assembly. Gets loose on
shaft
which lets now disconnected readout vibrate to wherever it wants. Used a
tiny bit of superglue on mine after spraying
it with cleaner to get oil off. That was on my car anyway.

ChrisKlinger May 1st 13 01:00 AM

My odometer has lost its mind!

Thanks John -

In this case (I've been watching it), the tens place turns at 9-0, then
again at 4-5. Hundreds place I haven't caught yet, but I _know_ it has
skipped a thousand on me at least twice.

Makes for fantastic illusionary gas mileage ;)

Chris

Jorge[_2_] May 7th 13 04:33 PM

ChrisKlinger > wrote:

> LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have
> dawned on me.
>
> Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group :)
>
> Boy, it's good to be home.
>
> Chris
>
> wrote:
>
> >> just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a
> >> tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel
> >> to turn the next one.
> >> Chris

> > All I can think of right now is friction between the wheels. ??
> > (prob'ly a really dumb idea)
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > RAMVA was always cool, you could post that you turned your odometer
> > back to all zeros and no one ever threw a fit about it. LOL :)
> >
> > Did that to my new-to-me '91 Bronco with 125k miles after I got it
> > and swapped the automatic transmission for a ZF 5 speed manual.
> >
> > FullSizedBronco.com didn't either, they're pretty cool over there.
> > For a website forum, it's got a bad reputation.
> > Most guys can't handle it. xD
> >
> > To me it's got kind of a "sweet" newsgroup feel to it. ;)
> >
> > Alvin in AZ

You know I just acquired a pile of parts with two speedometers that were
under water. I just may take them apart as I have never looked inside
one.
wish me luck.
--
Karma ; what a concept!