AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help with 68' Westy....instrument panel removal (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=39398)

Fish July 29th 05 04:24 AM

Help with 68' Westy....instrument panel removal

I have a 68' Westy with an odd electrical problem. With the headlights
off the signals, both left and right, work and the dash indicators
work. With the headlights on, the right signal works and the dash
indicators work. The left signal works outside, but the dash indicators
work about every second or third flash. Although it does not appear to
be a loose connection, I would like to verify all the connections under
the instrument panel. I removed the four screws holding the panel in,
but don't know how to undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can tip
the panel out.

Question 1. Ever heard of the problem with the dash signal indicators?
Question 2. How do I undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can
easily get to the control panel wiring?

Thanks

Speedy Jim July 29th 05 07:12 PM

Fish wrote:
> I have a 68' Westy with an odd electrical problem. With the headlights
> off the signals, both left and right, work and the dash indicators
> work. With the headlights on, the right signal works and the dash
> indicators work. The left signal works outside, but the dash indicators
> work about every second or third flash. Although it does not appear to
> be a loose connection, I would like to verify all the connections under
> the instrument panel. I removed the four screws holding the panel in,
> but don't know how to undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can tip
> the panel out.
>
> Question 1. Ever heard of the problem with the dash signal indicators?
> Question 2. How do I undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can
> easily get to the control panel wiring?
>
> Thanks

Look carefully at the knobs on the heater levers and see if your year
has the tiny plastic pins. You have to push the pins out to release
the knob.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Grahame Rumballe August 1st 05 04:59 AM

"Fish" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 68' Westy with an odd electrical problem. With the headlights
> off the signals, both left and right, work and the dash indicators
> work. With the headlights on, the right signal works and the dash
> indicators work. The left signal works outside, but the dash indicators
> work about every second or third flash. Although it does not appear to
> be a loose connection, I would like to verify all the connections under
> the instrument panel. I removed the four screws holding the panel in,
> but don't know how to undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can tip
> the panel out.
>
> Question 1. Ever heard of the problem with the dash signal indicators?
> Question 2. How do I undo the heat and fresh air controls so I can
> easily get to the control panel wiring?
>
> Thanks

The only way I have found on the early '68 is:
Remove the cables from the levers - outer liner clip and inner spring clip.
Remove the "nyloc" nuts securing the axis of the levers - remembering
how all the nylon and steel apacers go.
Remove the speedo cable
Remove the Steeing wheel (optional)

Grahame
from Aus

Fish August 1st 05 04:55 PM

Yuck!
How about you coming up to the Green Bay area and showing me how.
I'll take you to a Packer game????:)

Drop me a line: