AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   4wd not working! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=321486)

wildman7718 January 31st 09 09:03 PM

4wd not working!

I have a 96 S-10 with the zr2 off road package that I use to plow
snow. Recently after attempting to plow a 13" snowfall, I realized my
4wd is not working. I traced down the problem and the transfer case
is engaging the front driveshaft, but the hubs aren't engaging. DOes
anyone have any ideas? they would be greatly apreciated.

PeterD January 31st 09 09:23 PM

4wd not working!

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:03:16 -0800 (PST), wildman7718
> wrote:

>I have a 96 S-10 with the zr2 off road package that I use to plow
>snow. Recently after attempting to plow a 13" snowfall, I realized my
>4wd is not working. I traced down the problem and the transfer case
>is engaging the front driveshaft, but the hubs aren't engaging. DOes
>anyone have any ideas? they would be greatly apreciated.

Just a WAG, but I'd guess either hubs or there is a locking 'motor' on
the front axle.

On my old Isuzu Troopers I always replaced the 'automatic' hubs with
manual ones (available from the dealer, easy to install) and I plowed
with 'em for years that way. Only way to go!

Reed February 1st 09 04:56 AM

4wd not working!

wildman7718 wrote:
> I have a 96 S-10 with the zr2 off road package that I use to plow
> snow. Recently after attempting to plow a 13" snowfall, I realized my
> 4wd is not working. I traced down the problem and the transfer case
> is engaging the front driveshaft, but the hubs aren't engaging. DOes
> anyone have any ideas? they would be greatly apreciated.

Check the vaccuum motor that pulls the cable that goes to the front
diff. (Cable activates the internal "locking hubs" inside the front diff)

This is the most common problem with S-10's when front wheels do not
engage.

SnoMan February 25th 09 04:53 PM

4wd not working!

This message is old but there is no "hubs" to engage here. There is a
vacuum actuated dis-connector on passenger side half shaft that is
actuated by a cable connected to a vacuum servo under the hood.