AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Buying an older Odyssey (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=10956)

tgeliot September 26th 04 06:47 AM

Buying an older Odyssey

I'm in the market for a car, and the 98 and earlier Odysseys seem like just
what I want in terms of size and functionality. Too bad 97 and earlier had
lawnmower engines. But in the 98 they put the VTEC, from the Accord, I
believe. But there are no 98s to be had. Could I get an older (95-97)
and put a VTEC motor into it? Where would I get such a motor? Am I being
an idiot?

E. Meyer September 26th 04 10:35 PM

On 9/26/04 12:47 AM, in article
, "tgeliot"
> wrote:

> I'm in the market for a car, and the 98 and earlier Odysseys seem like just
> what I want in terms of size and functionality. Too bad 97 and earlier had
> lawnmower engines. But in the 98 they put the VTEC, from the Accord, I
> believe. But there are no 98s to be had. Could I get an older (95-97)
> and put a VTEC motor into it? Where would I get such a motor? Am I being
> an idiot?

The older ones also use the 4 cylinder engine from the Accord. When it got
bigger in the Accord, it got bigger in the Odyssey.

The difference is only 10 horsepower (2.2 liter 140 HP vs. 2.3 liter 150
HP). Go drive one. I doubt you will be able to tell much difference.

E. Meyer September 26th 04 10:39 PM

On 9/26/04 12:47 AM, in article
, "tgeliot"
> wrote:

> I'm in the market for a car, and the 98 and earlier Odysseys seem like just
> what I want in terms of size and functionality. Too bad 97 and earlier had
> lawnmower engines. But in the 98 they put the VTEC, from the Accord, I
> believe. But there are no 98s to be had. Could I get an older (95-97)
> and put a VTEC motor into it? Where would I get such a motor? Am I being
> an idiot?

Look also at the Isuzu Oasis. Its the same car made buy Honda and simply
badged as an Isuzu (Honda got to sell the Isuzu Rodeo as the Honda Passport
in the deal).

They continued to sell four door Odysseys as Isuzus for another year or two
after Honda started selling the bigger Canadian built Odysseys in the US.

motsco_ _ September 27th 04 01:12 AM

tgeliot wrote:
> I'm in the market for a car, and the 98 and earlier Odysseys seem like just
> what I want in terms of size and functionality. Too bad 97 and earlier had
> lawnmower engines. But in the 98 they put the VTEC, from the Accord, I
> believe. But there are no 98s to be had. Could I get an older (95-97)
> and put a VTEC motor into it? Where would I get such a motor? Am I being
> an idiot?

=========================

The '98 is worth the search. Better power and much better mileage. Most
of the same annoyances tho. A very nice mini-van with four swing-out
doors. The second generation seems as big as a schoolbus after owning
the first generation.

odyclub.com

Grad September 28th 04 12:04 AM

4cyl VTEC in Accord should not be associated with power gains with
Civic or Prelude VTEC. Accord's VTEC is for better gasmiles, not for
high rpm power.

I owned 1994 Accord LX (non VTEC) and then 1999 Accord EX (VTEC), both
4cyl. They are not powerful cars at all, I saw little to no real
difference between 1994 LX and 1999 EX engines.