AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=200735)

KLS September 26th 07 12:40 AM

time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8

I really need to put new sneakers on my 98.5 A4Q this week if
possible, and I'm not sure which all-season tires to buy. I'm in
western New York, on Lake Ontario, and have sold my extra rims so I
won't be running winter tires this year (not sure how much longer I'll
keep the car). Can folks recommend good all-season tires that won't
wipe out in more than light snow? The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
is getting great reviews on TireRack, and I know the Subie folks love
those, but I'm also interested in other possibilities. I was
considering the Kumho Solus KH16, but the reviews for snow and ice
performance aren't as good as for the Goodyear. Looking forward to
the collective wisdom.

Dano58 September 26th 07 04:40 PM

On Sep 25, 7:40 pm, KLS > wrote:
> I really need to put new sneakers on my 98.5 A4Q this week if
> possible, and I'm not sure which all-season tires to buy. I'm in
> western New York, on Lake Ontario, and have sold my extra rims so I
> won't be running winter tires this year (not sure how much longer I'll
> keep the car). Can folks recommend good all-season tires that won't
> wipe out in more than light snow? The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
> is getting great reviews on TireRack, and I know the Subie folks love
> those, but I'm also interested in other possibilities. I was
> considering the Kumho Solus KH16, but the reviews for snow and ice
> performance aren't as good as for the Goodyear. Looking forward to
> the collective wisdom.

I bought a new set of Sumitomo HTR+ tires this past summer. Replacing
the OEM tires with the same thing (Michelin Pilot Sport) was just too
expensive at $200+ per tire. These were under $100 each and have
pretty good ratings overall. I find them a little 'softer' handling
than the Michelins, but this isn't a track car. They have a pretty
aggressive tread design that looks like it will work well in snow -
they are excellent in rain.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

KLS September 27th 07 02:23 AM

time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:40:07 -0000, Dano58 >
wrote:

>On Sep 25, 7:40 pm, KLS > wrote:
>> I really need to put new sneakers on my 98.5 A4Q this week if
>> possible, and I'm not sure which all-season tires to buy. I'm in
>> western New York, on Lake Ontario, and have sold my extra rims so I
>> won't be running winter tires this year (not sure how much longer I'll
>> keep the car). [cut]

>I bought a new set of Sumitomo HTR+ tires this past summer. Replacing
>the OEM tires with the same thing (Michelin Pilot Sport) was just too
>expensive at $200+ per tire. These were under $100 each and have
>pretty good ratings overall. I find them a little 'softer' handling
>than the Michelins, but this isn't a track car. They have a pretty
>aggressive tread design that looks like it will work well in snow -
>they are excellent in rain.

Thanks for responding to this. I decided against the Kumho Solus KH16
because of the lower ratings in deep snow and ice and picked the B.F.
Goodrich Traction T/A H tire, which has better ratings in these areas
(the Sumimoto ratings in these areas were pretty bad for my purposes).
They're not as good as the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, but at $30
less per tire, they're pretty much a buy one, get one free deal
relative to Goodyear, and I think I'll be ok with these. I'll find
out Friday!

Pete[_10_] September 28th 07 04:05 AM

time to replace the tires on the 98.5 A4Q 2.8

"KLS" wrote
>I really need to put new sneakers on my 98.5 A4Q this week if
> possible, and I'm not sure which all-season tires to buy. I'm in
> western New York, on Lake Ontario, and have sold my extra rims so I
> won't be running winter tires this year (not sure how much longer I'll
> keep the car). Can folks recommend good all-season tires that won't
> wipe out in more than light snow? The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
> is getting great reviews on TireRack, and I know the Subie folks love
> those, but I'm also interested in other possibilities. I was
> considering the Kumho Solus KH16, but the reviews for snow and ice
> performance aren't as good as for the Goodyear. Looking forward to
> the collective wisdom.

Nokian WR.

Pete