AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New oil maybe not so good for classic engines (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=374712)

jim beam[_4_] October 7th 12 07:11 PM

On 09/24/2012 07:47 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 11:31=A0pm, bob > wrote:
>>> http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com/...roperly-lubric...
>>>
>>> bob

>> I guess all classic car owners will be going to performance shops to
>> buy their oil.

> Or more likely to the truck stops. Many of the diesel engine oils have
> reasonable ZDDP levels. Rotella T seems to be the favorite of the classic
> car guys I know and it's not very expensive.

even rotella is well below old zddp levels these days. i'll bet that
diesel fleet managers are starting to get ****ed round about now.

> I think how important this is also depends a lot on just how much spring
> pressure is on those cams. Some of those high performance V-8s have a
> huge amount more force than something like a BMW M30, and that makes ZDDP
> levels a lot more important.

this is correct. here's a civic cam [relatively high lift compared with
some other cam profiles] clearly showing the "break-through" point that
results from spring pressure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/8063634686

in the old days of higher zddp levels, civic cams used to look uniform
throughout the contact zone, even at high mileage. today, all look
distressed from direct metal-to-metal contact above line 2, and many
look distressed above line 1.

--
fact check required