AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 seriesBMW trunk wiring looms? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=375712)

Arthur March 14th 13 05:16 AM

dpb wrote on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:15:16 -0500:

> What's the age of the vehicles and condition of insulation in the area?

All the vehicles are five to ten years old'ish.

> Are the vehicles in very cold or hot climates and not garaged by any
> chance where such degradation could have been accelerated by extremes?

The vehicles are all over the world. Same problem everywhere.

> Is there preferential failure in any given circuit(s)?

Yes. All the wires have been identified and all the circuits involved
are implicated variously, e.g.,
KNOWN LOOM WIRE CONNECTIONS:
01. Red/yellow line = 2 @ x712 -> trunk lid light (positive)
02. Red/black line = 1 @ x1191 Rear lid lock switch (positive)
03. Gray/yellow line = 3 @ 1377 -> tunk lid locking switch (open signal)
04. Brown/gray line = 2 @ x709 -> left license plate light (positive)
05. Gray/Brown line = 4 @ x311 -> zv drive (lid closed)
06. Gray/black line = 2 @ x710 -> right license plate light (positive)
07. Gray/Green -> 4 @ x311 -> zv drive rear lid (positive)
08. White/ Brown line = 3 @ x311 -> ZV to luggage compartment light
09. Brown = 1 @ x709 -> left license plate light (ground)
10. Brown = 1 @ x710 -> right license plate light (ground)
11. Brown = 5 @ x311 -> zv drive ground
12. Brown = 1 @ x1377 -> trunk lid locking switch (open signal)
13. Brown/blue line = 2 @ x1191 Rear lid lock switch (unlock)
NOTE: (majority color[s])/(line color)=(pin number)@(connector number -> description
Sizes are 0.35mm2===21AWG, 0.5mm2===20AWG, 0.75mm2===18AWG

> Perhaps a circuit operating at high capacity relative to wiring
> ampacity/insulation rating is aiding in the failure mechanism.

Mostly it's the license plate light, the central locking system, and the trunk
lid which are affected.

> What does BMW say?

Same thing BMW always says.
Replace the entire trunk wiring loom every five years.
BMW Part number: 61116907260

Phil Allison[_2_] March 14th 13 05:24 AM

What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 series BMW trunk wiring looms?

"Arthur"

> Same thing BMW always says.
> Replace the entire trunk wiring loom every five years.
> BMW Part number: 61116907260

** Or use silicone coated wire and do it just once.

..... Phil

Arthur March 14th 13 05:30 AM

Phil Allison wrote on Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:24:59 +1100:

> ** Or use silicone coated wire and do it just once.

Here's a picture of the loom, laid out (on a BMW E46 3-series):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...4&d=1297298236

Arthur March 14th 13 02:53 PM

VinnyB wrote on Thu, 14 Mar 2013 05:24:43 -0500:

>>Replace the entire trunk wiring loom every five years.
>>BMW Part number: 61116907260

> What do they typically charge for such a replacement? Let me guess:
> $15,000 That makes sense. Anyone fool enough to by a BMW should be
> happy to pay for that fix.

These 3,4,5 series BMWs are some of the best handling and safest
vehicles on the planet. The M62, M62TU, M54, M52, & M52TU engines
are bulletproof, and the suspensions superb.

Yet, part of owning a bimmer is fixing it yourself. Otherwise you'll
go broke with the repairs. I know of scores who have "repaired"
their trunk wiring loom - but I don't know of any who went to the
stealer to have it replaced.

I was only answering the question of what BMW says to do.
We all work on our own vehicles so we repair them ourselves.

Cost to "repair" is about $20 give or take - but the real question
is why it breaks in the first place. It looks like, from the discussions,
a combination of poor choice is insulation plus a badly designed snorkel.