AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Kumho tires (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=439648)

[email protected] December 10th 17 03:09 AM

Kumho tires

I bought new about eight years ago for my 1983 Dodge B250 van. I had the van in storage for almost two years. Last week when I drove the van I heard a humming noise. I only drove the van about 2,240 miles since I had the new tires. Would the age of the tires cause the humming noise?

Retired December 10th 17 03:19 AM

Kumho tires

On 12/9/17 10:09 PM, wrote:
> I bought new about eight years ago for my 1983 Dodge B250 van. I had the van in storage for almost two years. Last week when I drove the van I heard a humming noise. I only drove the van about 2,240 miles since I had the new tires. Would the age of the tires cause the humming noise?

Yes, tires can develop problems due to age and long term storage,
regardless of mileage

Some reading he

Flat Spotting
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=42

Tire Aging
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=267

Scott Dorsey December 10th 17 12:48 PM

Kumho tires

In article >,
> wrote:
>I bought new about eight years ago for my 1983 Dodge B250 van. I had the va=
>n in storage for almost two years. Last week when I drove the van I heard a=
> humming noise. I only drove the van about 2,240 miles since I had the new =
>tires. Would the age of the tires cause the humming noise?

If they are eight years old, I'd suspect dry rot. Tires are wear items.
Inspect them carefully and see.
--scott

[email protected] December 10th 17 02:20 PM

Kumho tires

I am thinking a new set of Cooper (model) Trendsetter SE tires. Or what do you reccomend for new tires for my van that aren't too expensive? I am a slow careful driver,I don't get on the Interstates unless I have to. A tire store ( www.49tire.com ) near me advertizes them for sale for $86.99 each tire. I saw the same tires for sale at Walmart online for about $58.00 per tire, I think.

Scott Dorsey December 10th 17 10:28 PM

Kumho tires

In article >,
> wrote:
>I am thinking a new set of Cooper (model) Trendsetter SE tires. Or what do =
>you reccomend for new tires for my van that aren't too expensive? I am a sl=
>ow careful driver,I don't get on the Interstates unless I have to. A tire s=
>tore ( www.49tire.com ) near me advertizes them for sale for $86.99 each =
>tire. I saw the same tires for sale at Walmart online for about $58.00 per =
>tire, I think.

Be aware that the Walmart tires sometimes look like regular name-brand
tires but if you check the sidewall numbers you find they are specially
made by that brand just for Walmart.

This probably doesn't matter to you... if you're driving so little that
your tires are dry-rotting before they wear out, and you're not going on
the highway or driving twisty country roads, you may well be fine with just
buying the cheapest possible tires.
--scott

[email protected] December 11th 17 01:39 AM

Kumho tires

Just make sure the tires you get are stamped with the prefix 'LT'(light truck) for that van, not 'P'(passenger). I personally know somebody who runs P- tires on his custom 1990 Econoline van, and warned him likewise.

[email protected] December 11th 17 02:50 AM

Kumho tires

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:39:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Just make sure the tires you get are stamped with the prefix 'LT'(light truck) for that van, not 'P'(passenger). I personally know somebody who runs P- tires on his custom 1990 Econoline van, and warned him likewise.

My sister and brother in law are Sam's club members. He has Goodyear tires on his pickup truck. He said he bought them at Sam's. Maybe he will go with me to Sam's and I will pay him back the money for the tires. I suppose he saved money by buying his tires at Sam's.

[email protected] December 14th 17 01:36 AM

Kumho tires

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:50:04 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 8:39:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > Just make sure the tires you get are stamped with the prefix 'LT'(light truck) for that van, not 'P'(passenger). I personally know somebody who runs P- tires on his custom 1990 Econoline van, and warned him likewise.

> My sister and brother in law are Sam's club members. He has Goodyear tires on his pickup truck. He said he bought them at Sam's. Maybe he will go with me to Sam's and I will pay him back the money for the tires. I suppose he saved money by buying his tires at Sam's.

This afternoon I bought four new Cooper Trendsetter SE tires for my old 1983 Dodge van. It made a LOT of difference. Now my van runs smoother and quieter and handles better. Total price was $453.32. From now on it is Cooper tires for me.