AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1997 z3 +battery cable connector? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=320379)

Randy January 21st 09 02:52 AM

1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

Can I just clip off the connector and use a standard battery connector
to replace original on 1997 z3?
Anything to add or know?

Will the cable extend out further to add connector?

How do you pull off the plastic cover that covers the cable. It looks
like it has two screw covers that cover some screws????????

Any help will be appreciated.

Jeff Strickland January 21st 09 03:24 AM

1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

The cable is seldom long enough to do what you are asking about.

What happened to the connector you already have?

Randy January 21st 09 01:15 PM

1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

Jeff

I was having some trouble starting car and got someone to check
battery. They said that the connector was cracked. It will start but
in the near future I suspect it will work lose. BMW says $218 for the
cable and connector which is one piece.

Do you know of any alternatives?

Alan B. Mac Farlane January 21st 09 02:04 PM

1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

in article ,
Randy at
wrote on 1/21/09 5:15 AM:

> BMW says $218 for the
> cable and connector which is one piece.
>
> Do you know of any alternatives?

get one from the dismantlers yard or try after market cable just by trying
to match what you have against what is on the wall and seeing if you can
make it fit "and work well over time" for a few $ less ...

penny wise and dollar foolish is a dangerous way to drive with lives in your
hand ... I am guessing you would like to fly in the air with a compromised
electical system as well for economic reasons.

sumbuddie wishes you well

:(

Randy January 26th 09 03:12 AM

1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

Took car to my local mechanic and he was able to cut the connector at
the end of the cable, grind off the excess lead, by doing this he had
more than enough at the end of the cable to just connect a standard
connector. Models after 1997 have some type of electrical safety
connector that does not allow you to do this. Mine worked $10 instead
of $218.

[email protected] January 26th 09 05:37 PM

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:12:09 -0800 (PST), Randy > wrote:

>Took car to my local mechanic and he was able to cut the connector at
>the end of the cable, grind off the excess lead, by doing this he had
>more than enough at the end of the cable to just connect a standard
>connector. Models after 1997 have some type of electrical safety
>connector that does not allow you to do this. Mine worked $10 instead
>of $218.

I don't know if your car had one but current models have a small explosive
charge that will disconnect the electrical system in the event of a massive
crash.........

Oops - hope that doesn't happen to you - might also invalidate your car's safety
certificate (MOT - UK or whatever in Germany and USA and EU)

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK