AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Are new Hondas maintenance free? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=32610)

Alex Rodriguez May 18th 05 10:06 PM

In article >,
says...

>Great post. It's my opinion that a broken timing belt would in most cases
>do less damage to an engine than a broken chain. However, if you change
>the timing belt or timing chain about every 50,000 to 60,000 miles--it's
>very likely that the owner of the car would never have to worry about the
>consequences of a broken chain or belt.

What manufacturer recommends changing a chain at 60k miles?
-------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez May 18th 05 10:10 PM

In article . net>,
says...

>One forgets that chains put a certain amount of stress on motor oil.
>If people are lax about their oil change intervals and/or use poor
>quality oils, chains have been known to crap out. Chains create
>their own difficulties with OHV engines. Belts don't need any
>lubrication.

If you change your oil at proper intervals, a chain will live a long time
with no problem. given a choice, I would take a chain over a belt any
time.
----------------
Alex

Jason May 19th 05 01:28 AM

In article >, Alex Rodriguez
> wrote:

> In article . net>,
> says...
>
> >One forgets that chains put a certain amount of stress on motor oil.
> >If people are lax about their oil change intervals and/or use poor
> >quality oils, chains have been known to crap out. Chains create
> >their own difficulties with OHV engines. Belts don't need any
> >lubrication.

> If you change your oil at proper intervals, a chain will live a long time
> with no problem. given a choice, I would take a chain over a belt any
> time.
> ----------------
> Alex

Alex,
Which would cause more damage to an engine if it broke while the driver
was driving 60 miles pers hour--a chain or belt?
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

SoCalMike May 19th 05 07:16 AM

Jason wrote:
> Alex,
> Which would cause more damage to an engine if it broke while the driver
> was driving 60 miles pers hour--a chain or belt?
> Jason

if both engines are "interference"? theyre both likely screwed regardless.

Alex Rodriguez May 19th 05 07:36 PM

In article >,
says...
>In article >, Alex Rodriguez
> wrote:
>> In article . net>,

says...
>> >One forgets that chains put a certain amount of stress on motor oil.
>> >If people are lax about their oil change intervals and/or use poor
>> >quality oils, chains have been known to crap out. Chains create
>> >their own difficulties with OHV engines. Belts don't need any
>> >lubrication.

>> If you change your oil at proper intervals, a chain will live a long time
>> with no problem. given a choice, I would take a chain over a belt any
>> time.
>> ----------------
>> Alex

>Alex,
>Which would cause more damage to an engine if it broke while the driver
>was driving 60 miles pers hour--a chain or belt?

About the same. The main thing to consider is that a chain is less likely
to break.
------------
Alex

magix23 June 20th 05 06:36 AM

What is all the fuss about.
Why did Honda go for chains on the $ cyl?
Nissan Altima had and continue to have Timing chains.
The 3.5 L V6 is a very good engine and it has a timing chain.
Forget about Nissan.look at these other brands.
Mercedes Benz, BMW, Jag,Rolls, Bentley, Asthon Martin, also all of the top
Italian manufacturers use chains on their vehicles.
Belts are cheaper to manufacture and makes it simpler to work in overhead
cam engines,
Chains have proven themselves over time they are stronger. that is why they
are used on bicycles, motorcycles and CVT trans missions
Chains are used in the transfer cases of most 4 wheel drive systems.as the
most reliable transmission medium.