AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1996 Blazer Starter Relay (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=79167)

[email protected] November 28th 06 04:55 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

Where would I locate the Starter Relay on my 96 blazer? Is it behind
the plastic cover inside the glove compartment?

Thanks

[email protected] November 28th 06 05:08 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

wrote:
> Where would I locate the Starter Relay on my 96 blazer? Is it behind
> the plastic cover inside the glove compartment?
>
> Thanks

Follow the thick positive battery cable. It will lead you right to it.
Might be mounted on the starter itself.
There's another starter relay, a small one that controls the big
one, and it might be in the fusebox. Little black box with four
terminals. If there are more than one with the same part number,
switching them might make the starter go. Or stop. We have a '96 Astro
that had a stuck starter, and this little relay had frozen closed. The
fusebox is under the hood on the left fender well.

Dan

[email protected] November 28th 06 05:35 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

willy November 28th 06 06:55 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

wrote:
> Where would I locate the Starter Relay on my 96 blazer? Is it behind
> the plastic cover inside the glove compartment?
>
> Thanks

There isn't a starter relay on a 96 Blazer. There's a starter solenoid.
It's bolted to the starter. Most come with a new/rebuilt starters come
with it. The starter is a little bit of a pain to R&R, so you just
replace both. The two relays in the glove box, behind the cover are an
A.C. Clutch relay and the other is the Fuel Pump relay.

[email protected] November 28th 06 07:32 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

The guy I talked to about it said he had replaced the starter relays on
the blazers a couple times and the part store has one listed for it....
not sure what the deal is

MT-2500[_80_] November 28th 06 07:55 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

Wrote:
> Where would I locate the Starter Relay on my 96 blazer? Is it behind
> the plastic cover inside the glove compartment?
>
> Thanks

You will find it at the center rear engine compartment. I assume on
firewall.
If that does not get it post back what it is doing or not doing.
Good Luck
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com

[email protected] November 29th 06 02:32 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

Found it.... Exactly where you said, rear of engine on the firewall.
There were 3 identical relays back there so had to do a little trial
and error unplugging and replugging to find which one controlled the
starter. Hopefully this will fix the problem. Was having intermittent
non-starting, no cranking, no solenoid click, nothing. But only
happens sometimes.

MT-2500[_81_] November 29th 06 02:53 PM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

Wrote:
> > > Where would I locate the Starter Relay on my 96 blazer? Is it

> behind
> > > the plastic cover inside the glove compartment?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > You will find it at the center rear engine compartment. I assume on
> > firewall.
> > If that does not get it post back what it is doing or not doing.
> > Good Luck
> > MT
> >

> > --
> > MT-2500

> > MT-2500's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930
> > View this thread:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=648539
> >
> > http://www.automotiveforums.com

If that does not do it.
The next time it quits check the starter solenoid small wire with a
test light for getting 12 volts to it.
Make sure all grounds and battery cables and ends are good and also
check the side post bolts for being tight and clean.
If it is getting good 12 volts to it and the battery cables are good.
Try the old tap test on the bottom of the starter.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Larry Herzog Jr. October 24th 18 04:18 AM

1996 Blazer Starter Relay

replying to the_graphic1, Larry Herzog Jr. wrote:
Left, middle, or right?? (viewing from the front of the vehicle)

I have the same problem!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/199...lay-47564-.htm