AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=313822)

JR[_3_] November 24th 08 04:57 PM

Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak

Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
(17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.

Bob Shuman November 24th 08 10:39 PM

Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak

Have you tried lightly sanding the rims with emery cloth and then using some
RTV sealer when they re-mount the tires? This usually solves the problem
for 4-5 years.

Bob

KirkM November 26th 08 12:24 AM

On Nov 24, 9:57*am, JR > wrote:
> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
> a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
> reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
> (17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.

My brother had this problem years ago with an American Mag wheel. I
think they had to put in an innertube to fix the problem.

-KM

MoPar Man November 26th 08 03:04 AM

JR wrote:

> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks.

Buy a set of steel rims and put snow tires on them.

Use your aluminum rims and el-cheapo (and probably half bald) all season
tires for spring/summer/fall driving.

Anyone who doesn't do that, and lives in the snow/rust belt, is an
idiot.

Bryan[_2_] November 26th 08 05:08 AM

JR wrote:
> Once again its winter in Minnesota and all of my tires or rims will
> frequently lose 10-20 lbs of air in 1-2 weeks. I've had them remounted
> a couple of times, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Considering the age/condition of the vehicle (97 Avenger) I would be
> reluctant to purchase new rims (200.00+). Are there less costly ones
> (17 in. steel?) for this car. Thanks.

I had a spare that did this. Doing the following will fix the problem:

1) dismount the tires.
2) thoroughly clean the bead area on the rims by glass-beading or use
Scotchbrite, etc.
3) fill any large pits with epoxy (smooth any high spots afterward).
4) prime and paint the bead area w/ glossy enamel paint (clear will work
fine).
5) remount the tires.

Mine didn't have any large pits, so all I did was glass-bead the bead area
on the rim and paint it. It's been over 5 years and it hasn't leaked.

Bryan

man of machines November 29th 08 03:15 PM

Aluminum Wheel - Slow Air Leak

did they clean off the white tarnish from the rims and use bead sealer a
must with aluminum to seal tires to rims