AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1983 CJ7 Hazard Lights Won’t Stop Flashing (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440103)

Jeepers March 12th 18 01:18 PM

1983 CJ7 Hazard Lights Won’t Stop Flashing

I have a 1983 Jeep CJ 7, and I cant seem to find a switch or toggle to stop
the hazard lights from blinking. The only way I can get them to stop is by
pressing on the brake. As soon as I release my foot from the brake peddle,
they start blinking again. I don’t know how to stop this.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/jeep/198...ng-135026-.htm

Sam Stone March 12th 18 04:28 PM

1983 CJ7 Hazard Lights Won’t Stop Flashing

On the steering column.. there's a little button. Push = on / Pull = off

Lee Ayrton[_4_] March 22nd 18 06:38 PM

On 3/12/2018 8:18 AM, Jeepers wrote:

> I have a 1983 Jeep CJ 7, and I cant seem to find a switch or toggle to stop
> the hazard lights from blinking. The only way I can get them to stop is by
> pressing on the brake. As soon as I release my foot from the brake peddle,
> they start blinking again. I don’t know how to stop this.

The brake locking up the flashers is a feature, not a bug. It allows
traffic behind you to know that you've applied the brakes.

You flashers are controlled by a small button on the steering column,
correct? The switch for that is part of the signal light switch, and is
probably borked. It isn't *too* difficult to replace, but it does
require pulling the steering wheel. The difficult part, as I recall, is
threading the harness down the column tube (but it's been over a decade
since I did that and may be misremembering).