AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   156 spark plug change (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=73700)

R D S September 2nd 06 08:38 PM

156 spark plug change

Hi,

Is it an easy job changing the plugs on a 156 (2002, 2.0TS)?

I ask as I cant see them and if it likely to be hassle I will fire it off to
the garage.

Cheers,

Rick

SteveH September 2nd 06 09:09 PM

156 spark plug change

R D S > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it an easy job changing the plugs on a 156 (2002, 2.0TS)?
>
> I ask as I cant see them and if it likely to be hassle I will fire it off to
> the garage.
>
> Cheers,

Easy, once you've removed the plastic engine cover.

Just don't take off more than one plug lead at a time, or you'll never
work out how it all goes back together.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL

R D S September 2nd 06 09:26 PM

156 spark plug change

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it an easy job changing the plugs on a 156 (2002, 2.0TS)?
>>
>> I ask as I cant see them and if it likely to be hassle I will fire it off
>> the garage.
>>
>> Cheers,

> Easy, once you've removed the plastic engine cover.
>
> Just don't take off more than one plug lead at a time, or you'll never
> work out how it all goes back together.

Are they round the back? I couldnt see HT leads either.

SteveH September 2nd 06 09:28 PM

156 spark plug change

R D S > wrote:

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >R D S > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is it an easy job changing the plugs on a 156 (2002, 2.0TS)?
> >>
> >> I ask as I cant see them and if it likely to be hassle I will fire it off
> >> the garage.
> >>
> >> Cheers,

> > Easy, once you've removed the plastic engine cover.
> >
> > Just don't take off more than one plug lead at a time, or you'll never
> > work out how it all goes back together.
> >

> Are they round the back? I couldnt see HT leads either.

Eh?

<thinks>

If you need to ask, you'd better take it to a responsible adult and ask
them to do it for you.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL

R D S September 2nd 06 09:33 PM

156 spark plug change

"SteveH" > wrote in message
>R D S > wrote:
>
>> "SteveH" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > Easy, once you've removed the plastic engine cover.
>> >
>> > Just don't take off more than one plug lead at a time, or you'll never
>> > work out how it all goes back together.
>> >

>> Are they round the back? I couldnt see HT leads either.

> Eh?
>
> <thinks>
>
> If you need to ask, you'd better take it to a responsible adult and ask
> them to do it for you.

Chortle, I am capable of changing a spark plug, a quick look under the
bonnet in the ****ing down rain and it wasn't obvious where they are.

I have been driving diesels for years, have things moved on from the plug
lead?

A few years ago I would happily spend half of my Sunday hunched over the
bonnet, but no more.

Rick

SteveH September 2nd 06 09:34 PM

156 spark plug change

R D S > wrote:

> >> Are they round the back? I couldnt see HT leads either.

> > Eh?
> >
> > <thinks>
> >
> > If you need to ask, you'd better take it to a responsible adult and ask
> > them to do it for you.

> Chortle, I am capable of changing a spark plug, a quick look under the
> bonnet in the ****ing down rain and it wasn't obvious where they are.
>
> I have been driving diesels for years, have things moved on from the plug
> lead?
>
> A few years ago I would happily spend half of my Sunday hunched over the
> bonnet, but no more.

They're under the bloody plastic engine cover.

Jesus, this is hard work.....
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL

R D S September 2nd 06 09:35 PM

156 spark plug change

What, in the ****ing top? Whats that about.

SteveH September 2nd 06 09:38 PM

156 spark plug change

R D S > wrote:

> >> A few years ago I would happily spend half of my Sunday hunched over the
> >> bonnet, but no more.

> > They're under the bloody plastic engine cover.
> >
> > Jesus, this is hard work.....

> What, in the ****ing top? Whats that about.

Remove the plastic / alloy engine cover.

This will expose the 8 plugs and leads neatly located between the
camshaft tunnels.

ISTR each cylinder has a pair of unequal sized plugs, but I could be
wrong, they may be the same size, or is that on the old 75 TSpark
lump.....

Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're in
the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always been
on twin-cam engines.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL

R D S September 2nd 06 09:43 PM

156 spark plug change

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..

>> > They're under the bloody plastic engine cover.
>> >
>> > Jesus, this is hard work.....

>> What, in the ****ing top? Whats that about.

> Remove the plastic / alloy engine cover.
>
> This will expose the 8 plugs and leads neatly located between the
> camshaft tunnels.
>
> ISTR each cylinder has a pair of unequal sized plugs, but I could be
> wrong, they may be the same size, or is that on the old 75 TSpark
> lump.....
>
> Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're in
> the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always been
> on twin-cam engines.

Well you've saved me the bother of my next question, 'wheres the bloody
camshaft then?'
I hadn't realised there were two of them!

Ill give it a do tomorrow, its misfiring like a bitch, the engine light is
either lit or flashing depending on its mood, ever the optimist I am hoping
it wants plugs!

--
Rick
Alfa 156 regretful

R D S September 2nd 06 09:44 PM

156 spark plug change

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..

>> > They're under the bloody plastic engine cover.
>> >
>> > Jesus, this is hard work.....

>> What, in the ****ing top? Whats that about.

> Remove the plastic / alloy engine cover.
>
> This will expose the 8 plugs and leads neatly located between the
> camshaft tunnels.
>
> ISTR each cylinder has a pair of unequal sized plugs, but I could be
> wrong, they may be the same size, or is that on the old 75 TSpark
> lump.....
>
> Whatever, I can't remember plug sizes on the 16v TSparks, but they're in
> the same place - between the camshaft tunnels. Where they've always been
> on twin-cam engines.

Oh, and plugs £10 each? WTF?