AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   coolant (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36397)

[email protected] June 25th 05 12:16 AM

coolant

Hi,
I am planning to drain/refill the radiator on my 1994
SL2 auto. At my local auto store, I could only found those
Prestone coolant that it touts for all makes and models. My
Haynes manual specifically states that I should use
non-phosphate ethylene glycol based antifreeze. I just so
happen to have a couple containers of unused Prestone antifreeze,
sealed, sitting in my garage for 8 - 10 years.
Does anyone know would the chemicals in the antifreeze breaks
down over time (again 8-10 years) even if it is sealed and
kept in a garage all this time? Is it ok to use the
coolant?
Thanks,
Ted

blah blah June 25th 05 03:54 AM

In article .com>,
says...
> Hi,
> I am planning to drain/refill the radiator on my 1994
> SL2 auto. At my local auto store, I could only found those
> Prestone coolant that it touts for all makes and models. My
> Haynes manual specifically states that I should use
> non-phosphate ethylene glycol based antifreeze. I just so
> happen to have a couple containers of unused Prestone antifreeze,
> sealed, sitting in my garage for 8 - 10 years.
> Does anyone know would the chemicals in the antifreeze breaks
> down over time (again 8-10 years) even if it is sealed and
> kept in a garage all this time? Is it ok to use the
> coolant?
> Thanks,
> Ted

If it takes dexcool use dexcool. If it takes an OAT coolant never use
conventional coolant. Conventional green coolants attact aluminum and
should be completely changed every 2 years. Un-mixed sealed coolant
should have a very very long shelf life. The new prestone coolant,
yellow in color I think, I havent used yet nor seen it used long enough
to know what it will do...

[email protected] June 26th 05 03:37 AM

wrote:
> Hi,
> I am planning to drain/refill the radiator on my 1994
> SL2 auto. At my local auto store, I could only found those
> Prestone coolant that it touts for all makes and models. My
> Haynes manual specifically states that I should use
> non-phosphate ethylene glycol based antifreeze. I just so
> happen to have a couple containers of unused Prestone antifreeze,
> sealed, sitting in my garage for 8 - 10 years.
> Does anyone know would the chemicals in the antifreeze breaks
> down over time (again 8-10 years) even if it is sealed and
> kept in a garage all this time? Is it ok to use the
> coolant?
> Thanks,
> Ted

I found the following info at the Prestone site,
http://www.prestone.com/tips/page7.htm
which states:

"Q: What is the shelf life of Prestone=AE Antifreeze/Coolant?
A: If the product is still in the original sealed container then it has
a shelf life of many years. If the product has been opened and has not
been diluted with water then it also has a shelf life of many years."

However, what is "many years"? that's very vague. Is 10 years
"many years", that is or too many years. Can anyone shed some
light.

Thanks
Ted

[email protected] June 27th 05 03:57 PM

If it says "safe for aluminum engines" then it's OK to use. 15 years
ago phosphate-free antifreeze was the exception rather than the rule.

Do not put Dexcool (used in newer Saturns) in.

> Does anyone know would the chemicals in
> the antifreeze breaks down over time (again 8-10
> years) even if it is sealed and kept in a garage all this time?

If the container hasn't broken down, then the antifreeze in it is fine.

Tim.