AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   4.0L AX-15 bell housing - missing parts? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=167766)

Chris[_23_] June 23rd 07 11:04 AM

4.0L AX-15 bell housing - missing parts?

After long last, I have rebuilt my AX-15 and am ready to stick it back
into the XJ. When I first took it out many months ago, I took the
bell housing off underneath the vehicle, then moved the transmission
inside to work on it.

When I was getting ready to put the housing back onto the transmission
tonight, I noticed a pair of (approximately) 1/8" stainless steel
balls laying in the housing. They look similar to the shift balls
that are used in the AX-15, just a lot smaller.

I was wondering if someone knows where these are supposed to go? Are
they part of the release fork, release bearing, or am I just ending up
with spare parts that aren't needed? I think that the housing for the
2.5L engine has a pivot ball that detaches, but my 4.0 housing's pivot
ball is fixed in place.

Any advice is appreciated!

stilllearning June 24th 07 09:58 PM

On Jun 23, 6:04 am, Chris > wrote:
> After long last, I have rebuilt my AX-15 and am ready to stick it back
> into the XJ. When I first took it out many months ago, I took the
> bell housing off underneath the vehicle, then moved the transmission
> inside to work on it.
>
> When I was getting ready to put the housing back onto the transmission
> tonight, I noticed a pair of (approximately) 1/8" stainless steel
> balls laying in the housing. They look similar to the shift balls
> that are used in the AX-15, just a lot smaller.
>
> I was wondering if someone knows where these are supposed to go? Are
> they part of the release fork, release bearing, or am I just ending up
> with spare parts that aren't needed? I think that the housing for the
> 2.5L engine has a pivot ball that detaches, but my 4.0 housing's pivot
> ball is fixed in place.
>
> Any advice is appreciated!

A ball from a torrington or other bearing?

Chris[_23_] June 24th 07 11:42 PM

On Jun 24, 1:58 pm, stilllearning > wrote:

> A ball from a torrington or other bearing?

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell all the bearings in
the transmission roll on "rod" shaped rollers rather than balls.

That does bring up a good point though. Since I'm using parts from a
known good transmission, and I overhauled this old one because it
wasn't performing properly, I'm going with the assumption that
whatever went bad in the old one might have caused these balls to get
dislodged in the process of it breaking. The transmission is back in
and next weekend I'll see if everything checks out (crossing fingers).