AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49560)

[email protected] November 25th 05 07:36 AM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines. I'm
wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim. I
would like to hear from mechanically knowledgeable people on this
subject. Thanks for any info.

Googleheimlich

Dana H. Myers November 25th 05 02:55 PM

wrote:
> Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
> about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines. I'm
> wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim. I
> would like to hear from mechanically knowledgeable people on this
> subject. Thanks for any info.

Well, I don't know about the absolute number but I'm willing to
believe that (a) this Miata makes about 20% more power than the
preceeding 1.8L models and (b) this probably equates to about 130hp
on a rear-wheel dyno.

Lanny Chambers November 25th 05 03:57 PM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
> about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines. I'm
> wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim.

The Solstice claims 178 from a larger displacement, and is slower. 170
for the NC seems right in the ballpark for its 6.5 second 0-60 time.
It's just a number, anyway--all agree the car is significantly quicker
than the NB.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

Leon van Dommelen November 26th 05 12:38 AM

wrote:

>Over the years, Mazda has been well known for making overstated claims
>about the amount of horsepower produced by its Miata engines.

Only once, and that was due to changes made for exhaust requirements.

> I'm
>wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they claim.

They do not claim it "belts out" at 170 hp. They claim that the
engine produces 170 hp, which is a very different matter.

But I agree that it would be nice if manufacturers were required to
report actual, rear wheel horsepower instead of some technical,
immeasurable number. Car & Driver and Road & Track ready to
stand tall for this for a change???

I guess it would cut down on advertisements $$$ for automatics. :(

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen :) Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
http://www.dommelen.net/miata

Chris D'Agnolo November 26th 05 01:45 AM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

Since several manufacturers (incl'g mazda) have been badly embarassed by
this in the past (and it's cost them cash!), seems to me the trend has
turned to understate to be safe. I agree, there should be a bit more
standardization.

Chris
99BBB

kgruber November 26th 05 07:18 AM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

KG

oups.com...

Craig Wagner November 26th 05 03:17 PM

"kgruber" > wrote:

>The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
>worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
>was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

Feeling a little bitter about something?

That's surely the stupidest comparison I've ever heard. The car was never
intended to compete with something like a Corvette in the power department.

And it doesn't get worse mileage than a Corvette, if that's what you're
implying. I have one of each, and the MX-5's mileage is much better.

--
Craig Wagner, craig(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com
Portland, OR

"Don't ban high-performance vehicles, ban low-performance drivers!"

Leon van Dommelen November 26th 05 03:27 PM

"kgruber" > wrote:

>The new Miata will STILL have far less power than a Corvette and STILL get
>worse gas mileage. The original thought of making a modern Lotus Elan sure
>was flushed down the toilet early in the history of this car.

I assume this is a troll, rather than ill-informed. The M1 Miata was
a quite close copy of the Elan in performance, with almost the same power,
top speed, and gas consumption. The newer Miatas are significantly faster.

Neither the Elan or the Miata was ever intended to compete with a big engine
piece of American junk like the Corvette. It is ludicrous to suggest so.

EPA estimated mileage of the Miata is 23/30. Claimed EPA mileage of the
Corvette is 18/28; the 28 is probably wrong, since it seems to be taken
straight from the coupe version without correcting for the fact that the
convertible has more drag. Of course, to get those numbers you are not
using that big 6.0 l engine at all. So, why have it?

Leon

>KG

roups.com...

Gus November 26th 05 04:07 PM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> ...... I'm wondering if the 2006 model really belts out 170 HP as they
> claim.....

The current issue of Sport Compact Car (I know I know its not the kind of
rag a Miata guy should be reading, but I couldn't resist the cover promising
a "Miata Megatest.") includes a side by side comparison of the new 2006
Miata with the 2005 Mazdaspeed and of course a project car the editors have
done all sorts of stuff to. Anyway, the tests include horsepower at the
wheels with the following results: Project Miata = 187 HP, 2005 Mazdaspeed
= 152 HP, and 2006 Mazda MX-5 = 134 HP. The editors wonder a lot about the
lower number for the 2006, but claim it had something to do with ambient
conditions at the time of the test and the engine control unit retarding
timing to protect the engine.

Gus (91 BRG)

XS11E November 26th 05 04:20 PM

170 HP 2006 Miata : fact or fallacy ?