AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   4 stud Beetle wheel dimensions (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=374835)

Allanw October 27th 12 05:17 AM

4 stud Beetle wheel dimensions

Righteo,

Just sorting out the brakes on my 72 1200 Euro, and realised that one rim is
different to the rest.

3 and the (damaged) spare are 4.5Jx15, with ET34 offset, the other one is
4jx15 but I can't find the offset.

I want 2 to replace the odd one and the spare, but not sure what they are
foo. Are they standard beetle? All the 1500 beetles we have over here *look*
like they are the odd rim, as my wheels look more flush with the guards
thatn the 1500s do.

Any pointers?

Allan

Gary Tateosian October 27th 12 05:12 PM

4 stud Beetle wheel dimensions

Can you link to pictures?

[email protected][_1_] October 27th 12 07:32 PM

4 stud Beetle wheel dimensions

There should be a date (month/year) stamped on the center part of the rim, in between the lug holes.

Allanw October 27th 12 08:09 PM

4 stud Beetle wheel dimensions

Thanks for the replies guys,

But, in typical fashion, I found an answer mere hours after asking:

http://web.archive.org/web/200412260...k/whsteel4.htm

It would seem that my 34mm offset wheel were used from Feb 1972 to Jul 1973.

Because the offset is lower and the rim is a touch wider, there is more rim
protrusion, making the rims look much wider and more flush with the guards.
I REALLY like the look they have, AND they are stock for the year 8) Sweet.

I was worried they were off some oddball model for a while, as my car has
had a few mods, like 1500 disk brakes added, bilstein shocks and had a
1776cc that raun on 3 cylinders when I got it (And yet, was still faster
than the 1600TP in it now :-D)

Cheers

Allan
"Allanw" > wrote in message
> Righteo,
>
> Just sorting out the brakes on my 72 1200 Euro, and realised that one rim
> is different to the rest.
>
> 3 and the (damaged) spare are 4.5Jx15, with ET34 offset, the other one is
> 4jx15 but I can't find the offset.
>
> I want 2 to replace the odd one and the spare, but not sure what they are
> foo. Are they standard beetle? All the 1500 beetles we have over here
> *look* like they are the odd rim, as my wheels look more flush with the
> guards thatn the 1500s do.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Allan
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---