AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   alternative way to extract cel/mil codes (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=369623)

peter June 18th 11 06:08 PM

alternative way to extract cel/mil codes

hi,

i read my cel/mil codes just a couple weeks ago, (o2 sensor was
replaced). the lite comes on again but now the data link connector
doesnt want to give the codes up, i must have mung it u someway.
i tried to "3m" the light green/yellow wire from #10 on the dlc and
use a coat hanger to engine ground but i still dont get any blinks.

is there another way to extract codes, maybe from the ecu directly?

tia,
peter

charlie June 18th 11 06:57 PM

On 6/18/2011 1:08 PM, peter wrote:
> hi,
>
> i read my cel/mil codes just a couple weeks ago, (o2 sensor was
> replaced). the lite comes on again but now the data link connector
> doesnt want to give the codes up, i must have mung it u someway.
> i tried to "3m" the light green/yellow wire from #10 on the dlc and
> use a coat hanger to engine ground but i still dont get any blinks.
>
> is there another way to extract codes, maybe from the ecu directly?
>
> tia,
> peter

If you have a 99 (maybe some 97s) or later, there are no blink codes for
the ECU. The tens to ground forces "open loop", and has no direct
relation to blink codes. Effectively, there are three wires involved in
the diagnostic plug under the dash. Ground, power, and the signal line.
If the code reader turns on, ground and power are likely OK.

peter June 19th 11 05:05 PM

On Jun 18, 1:57*pm, charlie > wrote:

> If you have a 99 (maybe some 97s) or later, there are no blink codes for
> the ECU. The tens to ground forces "open loop", and has no direct
> relation to blink codes. *Effectively, there are three wires involved in
> the diagnostic plug under the dash. Ground, power, and the signal line.
> If the code reader turns on, ground and power are likely OK.

opps forgot to say early 95 m-ed.
i believe odb II came in some late 95's
peter