AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   new car vs own car (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=10896)

Howard Lester September 21st 04 08:45 PM

new car vs own car

"Bill" wrote

> >> why?? I am curious now:)

> >Check with Oregon DMV and find out what they require in terms of

licensing
> >and fees. There may be little to none. Just be sure to have your title

and
> >bill of sale, proving you own it and the taxes you have already paid.

> It depends on the state you are moving to-
> Some states, charge a % of the cars value when you license it in that

state.
> Oregon doesn't. Fees are around $30+ for 2 years.

My point exactly. When I moved to Washington state, they required me to
present the bill of sale from NY, showing what sales taxes I paid. If
Washington's sales tax rate was higher than NY's, they'd have wanted me to
cough up the difference. Each state has different rules.

When someone makes an unsubstantiated blanket statement.... beware.

SoCalMike September 22nd 04 01:41 AM

prash_chat wrote:

> hey
>
> first of all thanks to everybody who replies.
>
> i have a honda/acc/coupe/135k/92 in phoenix. The AC does not work but
> I am moving to portland where they say you can live without the AC if
> you have survived phoenix.
>
> My question is (assuming that I am in a position to buy a new car)
> Should I sell it or should I take to portland and use it for another
> 50K miles before selling it?
>
> Any inputs are highly appreciated.

do you really like the car?
what would you replace it with?
cash? or payments?
can you easily afford 5 years of payments?

fixing the AC would be much cheaper than a new car, if you can find a
reputable place. might just need a recharge, probably needs more.

and i imagine with the fog and cool air in portland, the AC would help
keep the windshield clear.

SoCalMike September 22nd 04 01:44 AM

MarcKyle64 wrote:

>>It's not a good idea to buy a new car before moving to a new state.
>>

> That's for sure! This happened to me, I moved from Arkansas to Montana,
> Montana insisted that I pay the taxable value ( 5% IIRC ) of my car when I
> registered it there after I got done moving, i.e. "up front". Then I got a bill
> from the Arkansas DMV almost a year later for the taxes I owed them on my car
> when I last assessed my car's value down there, they do you a 'favor' by
> delaying the tax bill a year when you assess the car's value there, sooo.... I
> got double taxed that year, and still had to pay the next year's tax value when
> my Montana tags expired after my first year of living there, so I paid taxes on
> my car three times within 366 days. Sucked!!

what would have happened if youd told arkansas to blow a goat? is there
a reciprocity agreement?

SoCalMike September 22nd 04 01:54 AM

Caroline wrote:

> Economically speaking: Drive it until there's a major expense (or major ongoing
> expenses) that you just don't want to pay.
>
> Taste-wise: Drive it until you get sick of its looks.
>
> I'd say keep it at least one more year. If you don't have the money for a new
> car, consider taking this one to at least 200k miles.
>
> Caroline
> Original owner, 1991 Civic LX, 157k miles, never had air conditioning, but
> driven mostly up north, and I'm a tough bird when it comes to hot summer
> temperatures, anyway. Gonna take it to at least 250k miles or five more years,
> but I do my almost all my own maintenance on the car. 42 mpg is usual in the
> summer time. Can't beat that without going hybrid.

you suck, caroline :)

its amazing that in just 7 years, the mpg of civics dropped about 10
mpg. mu 98 gets about 32 average. i always liked the way that particular
generation of civics looked, too... low beltline, wedgy, lots of glass.

its completely the opposite now on almost all cars.. high doors, small
windows. the chyrysler 300 comes to mind, as well as the corolla, and
scions.

MarcKyle64 September 22nd 04 02:19 AM

>what would have happened if youd told arkansas to blow a goat? is there
>a reciprocity agreement?

I'm sure that failure to pay on my part would have meant some sort of legal
hassle for me.

SoCalMike September 22nd 04 04:12 AM

prash_chat wrote:
> Hey
> Thanks everybody for you reply. I really appreciate your insightful
> comments.
>
> So, if I sell my car here and move and then buy the car, will it make
> sense? Then I will not have to face triple taxation and confusions?

or move with the old car, and keep it there for a while. itll give you a
chance to scout out dealers and not be immediately forced into buying a
new car. dunno whether selling a"sun belt" car in portland would give
you any price advantage. doubt it.

just dont buy a new car now, and then move w/it.

Caroline September 22nd 04 05:27 AM

"SoCalMike" > wrote
> Caroline wrote:
>
> > Economically speaking: Drive it until there's a major expense (or major

ongoing
> > expenses) that you just don't want to pay.
> >
> > Taste-wise: Drive it until you get sick of its looks.
> >
> > I'd say keep it at least one more year. If you don't have the money for a

new
> > car, consider taking this one to at least 200k miles.
> >
> > Caroline
> > Original owner, 1991 Civic LX, 157k miles, never had air conditioning, but
> > driven mostly up north, and I'm a tough bird when it comes to hot summer
> > temperatures, anyway. Gonna take it to at least 250k miles or five more

years,
> > but I do my almost all my own maintenance on the car. 42 mpg is usual in the
> > summer time. Can't beat that without going hybrid.

> you suck, caroline :)

<kissy-smooch> back at ya. :-)

> its amazing that in just 7 years, the mpg of civics dropped about 10
> mpg.

Those Honda design yahoos had increased the Civic engine size to 1.6 liters
(from 1.5 liters) by 1998.

Why'd they do that? Caving in to foul American car consumer taste?

Is Honda in this for the money or something?

> mu 98 gets about 32 average. i always liked the way that particular
> generation of civics looked, too... low beltline, wedgy, lots of glass.
>
> its completely the opposite now on almost all cars.. high doors, small
> windows. the chyrysler 300 comes to mind, as well as the corolla, and
> scions.

Yes. As I've said a few times in the past year or so, if something catastrophic
happened to my 1991 Civic tomorrow, I'd be looking at a new Toyota Echo (also a
1.5 liter engine). But jeez I am not wild about the Echo's boxy look and lack of
velour upholstery on the inside.

[email protected] September 22nd 04 05:55 AM

hey

thanks for your input. I am not sure if I should start a new thread
from here...I guess I will post it here and in a new thread both...

Does anybody has any experience driving long distance or moving the car
with any towing company. I mean should I drive or get it shipped?
Thanks a million for your input..

Regards

Sparky September 22nd 04 07:54 AM

MarcKyle64 wrote:

>>what would have happened if youd told arkansas to blow a goat? is there
>>a reciprocity agreement?
>>

> I'm sure that failure to pay on my part would have meant some sort of legal
> hassle for me.

Arkansas to Montana? Doubt it.

Sparky September 22nd 04 07:56 AM

Caroline wrote:

> "SoCalMike" > wrote
>
>>Caroline wrote:
>>

>>>Economically speaking: Drive it until there's a major expense (or major

> ongoing
>
>>>expenses) that you just don't want to pay.
>>>
>>>Taste-wise: Drive it until you get sick of its looks.
>>>
>>>I'd say keep it at least one more year. If you don't have the money for a

> new
>
>>>car, consider taking this one to at least 200k miles.
>>>
>>>Caroline
>>>Original owner, 1991 Civic LX, 157k miles, never had air conditioning, but
>>>driven mostly up north, and I'm a tough bird when it comes to hot summer
>>>temperatures, anyway. Gonna take it to at least 250k miles or five more

> years,
>
>>>but I do my almost all my own maintenance on the car. 42 mpg is usual in the
>>>summer time. Can't beat that without going hybrid.

>>you suck, caroline :)

> <kissy-smooch> back at ya. :-)
>

>>its amazing that in just 7 years, the mpg of civics dropped about 10
>>mpg.

> Those Honda design yahoos had increased the Civic engine size to 1.6 liters
> (from 1.5 liters) by 1998.
>
> Why'd they do that? Caving in to foul American car consumer taste?
>
> Is Honda in this for the money or something?
>

>>mu 98 gets about 32 average. i always liked the way that particular
>>generation of civics looked, too... low beltline, wedgy, lots of glass.
>>
>>its completely the opposite now on almost all cars.. high doors, small
>>windows. the chyrysler 300 comes to mind, as well as the corolla, and
>>scions.

> Yes. As I've said a few times in the past year or so, if something catastrophic
> happened to my 1991 Civic tomorrow, I'd be looking at a new Toyota Echo (also a
> 1.5 liter engine). But jeez I am not wild about the Echo's boxy look and lack of
> velour upholstery on the inside.

Does it have velour upholstery on the outside?