AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=280369)

XOZ July 5th 08 10:12 AM

On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
> Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
> to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
> According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
> 60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
> West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
> Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
> is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
> states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
> UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
police state bonanza for.

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 5th 08 11:26 AM

XOZ wrote:
> On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>
>>Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
>>to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
>>According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
>>60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
>>West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
>>Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
>>is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
>>states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
>>UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

> How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
> people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
> out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
> enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
> simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
> just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
> police state bonanza for.

Hell, the DC Beltway or Dulles Toll Road is downright dangerous at 55
(even though that's the posted speed limit.) Don't blame Virginians, we
know better. Just blame this one guy that had a dumbass idea.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Otto Yamamoto July 5th 08 01:12 PM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

As far as I know, though I'll admit to not being the most educated on this,
we don't have a supply problem, we have a price problem. The Nixon Memorial
Speed Limit won't do anything to help that. Just moar smoke and mirrors to
deflect attention away from the real issue: namely hueg erl company
profits.

--
Comrade Otto Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com

[email protected] July 5th 08 04:39 PM

On Jul 5, 5:12*am, XOZ > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
> > to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
> > According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
> > 60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
> > West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
> > Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
> > is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
> > states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
> > UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

> How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. *Those
> people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
> out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
> enforcement. *Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
> simple. *And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
> just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
> police state bonanza for.

I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.

Jim K. Georges

Jeff Morrison July 5th 08 05:40 PM

On Jul 5, 10:39*am, wrote:
> I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
> more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
> be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.
>
> Jim K. Georges

Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

Brent P[_1_] July 5th 08 06:04 PM

On 2008-07-05, Jeff Morrison > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:39*am, wrote:
>> I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
>> more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
>> be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.
>>
>> Jim K. Georges

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

What a crock of ****. Go to Germany and ride with someone who lives
there and has a decent car. a 100mph+ is perfectly safe. What's reckless
is the stupid lane and other behavior that is permitted on US roads.

Bill[_12_] July 5th 08 07:56 PM

"XOZ" > wrote in message
> On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>> Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit?
>> It's easy for him
>> to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the
>> wrath of angry voters.
>> According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed
>> limit (either 55 or
>> 60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the
>> Mississippi, but here out
>> West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the
>> despised double-nickel?
>> Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975:
>> The 55 speed limit
>> is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by
>> the
>> states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural
>> freeways, or AZ, NV,
>> UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't
>> drive 55."

> How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
> people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
> out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
> enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
> simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
> just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
> police state bonanza for.

For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
of federal gold.

[email protected] July 5th 08 08:02 PM

On Jul 5, 12:40*pm, Jeff Morrison > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:39*am, wrote:
>
> > I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
> > more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
> > be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.

> > Jim K. Georges

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

Not True! On an urban interstate in moderate to heavy traffic, weaving
in and out OK, but on a rural Interstate, staying in your lane with a
speed limit of 65 or 70 among minimal traffic in perfect weather
conditions, no, it's not reckless.

Jim K. Georges

gpsman July 5th 08 08:08 PM

On Jul 5, 1:04 pm, Brent P > wrote:
> On 2008-07-05, Jeff Morrison > wrote:
>
> > Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

> What a crock of ****. Go to Germany and ride with someone who lives
> there and has a decent car. a 100mph+ is perfectly safe.

No, it's often true.

Evidently you are unaware of the definitions of "perfect" and
"safe" (what are those, words learned in 5th grade? Elementary school
anyway).

But, 80mph is "relatively safe", depending on where. You are not
permitted to drive 80 through or around major German urban areas, same
as in the US.

> What's reckless
> is the stupid lane and other behavior that is permitted on US roads.

On that we agree, where we differ is what constitutes reckless and
stupid.
-----

- gpsman

Brent P[_1_] July 5th 08 08:15 PM

On 2008-07-05, > wrote:
> On Jul 5, 12:40*pm, Jeff Morrison > wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 10:39*am, wrote:
>>
>> > I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
>> > more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
>> > be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.

>> > Jim K. Georges

>> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

> Not True! On an urban interstate in moderate to heavy traffic, weaving
> in and out OK, but on a rural Interstate, staying in your lane with a
> speed limit of 65 or 70 among minimal traffic in perfect weather
> conditions, no, it's not reckless.

Weaving would indicate a failure to keep right except to pass in many cases.

H.B. Elkins July 5th 08 08:24 PM

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 09:40:26 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Morrison wrote:

>Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

No it isn't.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

Arif Khokar July 5th 08 08:25 PM

Jeff Morrison wrote:

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

Hardly. That's the speed of traffic (or maybe 3 to 5 mph faster ) on
many interstates.

Arif Khokar July 5th 08 08:27 PM

Bill wrote:

> For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
> out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
> property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
> limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
> not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
> drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
> limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
> passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
> will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
> of federal gold.

Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
(and lower the gas price a little bit).

necromancer in CNY (hint - its not an airport) July 5th 08 09:41 PM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 02:12:30 -0700 (PDT), XOZ
> wrote:

>On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>> Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy for him
>> to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of angry voters.
>> According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed limit (either 55 or
>> 60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the Mississippi, but here out
>> West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the despised double-nickel?
>> Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit
>> is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by the
>> states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV,
>> UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

>How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
>people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
>out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
>enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
>simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
>just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
>police state bonanza for.

Dear Allah in Paradise, are they dredging that dead horse up again? I
guess the old saying is true: those who don't learn from history are
doomed to repeat it. Good thing my frequent flyer account is still
active.
--
"The record run in oil prices is related more to
speculation and a weakening dollar than supply

--Exxon-Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 6th 08 01:03 AM

Jeff Morrison wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:39 am, wrote:
>
>>I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
>>more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
>>be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.
>>
>>Jim K. Georges

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open
it and remove all doubt. (author unknown, but commonly attributed to
Mark Twain)

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 6th 08 01:04 AM

Bill wrote:
> "XOZ" > wrote in message
>
>>On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit?
>>>It's easy for him
>>>to do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the
>>>wrath of angry voters.
>>>According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed
>>>limit (either 55 or
>>>60) would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the
>>>Mississippi, but here out
>>>West (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake at the
>>>despised double-nickel?
>>>Or SF to Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates said it best in 1975:
>>>The 55 speed limit
>>>is/was the dumbest law since Prohibition. Speed limits should be set by
>>>the
>>>states, period. If CA wants to go to 70 on Interstates and other rural
>>>freeways, or AZ, NV,
>>>UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like the Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't
>>>drive 55."

>>How dare any of the speed nazis from Vagina propose anything. Those
>>people in the "Commonwealth" should put everybody in the legislature
>>out of office for what they're doing to their own citizens with speed
>>enforcement. Any return to the 55 MPH is highway robbery, plain and
>>simple. And btw, try driving I-16 in South Georgia at 55...it's not
>>just those western states that an unreasonable 55 MPH would be a
>>police state bonanza for.

> For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
> out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
> property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
> limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
> not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
> drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
> limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
> passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
> will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
> of federal gold.

Not gonna happen, as if anything states today are more dependent on
Federal highway funds than they were back in 1974.

nate

Jason Pawloski July 6th 08 01:05 AM

On Jul 5, 12:27*pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
> > out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
> > property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
> > limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
> > not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
> > drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
> > limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
> > passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
> > will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
> > of federal gold.

> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?
The reason why this sounds wrongs to me is about half the states
receive less than they send to Washington for the federal gas tax, so
the optimal strategy would be to not pay the gas tax, not receive
federal funds, and increase the state tax by an equivalent value. And
you would still lower the gas price a little bit.

Free Lunch July 6th 08 01:44 AM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 17:05:22 -0700 (PDT), Jason Pawloski
> wrote in misc.transport.road:

>On Jul 5, 12:27*pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>> > For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
>> > out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
>> > property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
>> > limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
>> > not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
>> > drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
>> > limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
>> > passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
>> > will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
>> > of federal gold.

>> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
>> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

>Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
>federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?

Of course not.

Arif Khokar July 6th 08 02:29 AM

Jason Pawloski wrote:
> On Jul 5, 12:27 pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:
>> Bill wrote:

>>> For those who weren't around for the original 55 law, it should be pointed
>>> out that the law itself didn't change any speed limits outside of federal
>>> property. Instead it coerced the individual states into lowering their speed
>>> limits by threatening to withhold federal highway dollars for those that did
>>> not comply. This is the same technique used to impose the 21-year-old
>>> drinking requirement, among others. No state can be forced to lower their
>>> limit by federal law, just "encouraged". So even if a federal law were
>>> passed, there is always a faint hope that at least some state legislatures
>>> will have some backbone, and not sell out their citizens for their 30 pieces
>>> of federal gold.

>> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
>> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

> Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
> federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?

Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Jason Pawloski July 6th 08 02:31 AM

On Jul 5, 6:29*pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> Jason Pawloski wrote:
> >> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
> >> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

> > Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
> > federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?

> Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
> particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
> 21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
> continue to collect the federal gas tax?- Hide quoted text -

I mean, I agree in principle, but I don't there is anyway that
argument would ever jive.

Free Lunch July 6th 08 02:41 AM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:29:51 -0400, Arif Khokar >
wrote in misc.transport.road:

>Jason Pawloski wrote:

>>> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
>>> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

>> Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
>> federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?

>Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
>particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
>21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
>continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Where did you get the idea that the state collects the revenue for the
feds?

Matthew T. Russotto July 6th 08 02:57 AM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

In article >,
Arif Khokar > wrote:

>Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
>particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
>21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
>continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Because the Feds have an army. (What, did you really think it came
down to anything other than force in the end?)
result in a fully-depreciated one.

BSMack July 6th 08 03:02 AM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

Eighty is wreakless driving. A lot of the drivers are too in-experienced and
ignorant of the rules of the road to drive that fast. If the speed limit is
dropped to 60 MPH, it should be strictly enforced with oppressive fines.
Repeat offenders should have their driving privileges revoked.

H.B. Elkins July 6th 08 04:34 AM

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:02:23 GMT, BSMack wrote:

>Eighty is wreakless driving.

Bzzt. Sorry, wrong, but thanks for playing.

If 80 is, what about 79? 78? 77? 76? 75?

You get the picture -- well maybe you don't if you think 80 is reckless per se.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

[email protected] July 6th 08 04:41 AM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Jul 5, 11:34*pm, H.B. Elkins >
wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:02:23 GMT, BSMack wrote:
>
> >Eighty is wreakless driving.

> Bzzt. Sorry, wrong, but thanks for playing.
>
> If 80 is, what about 79? 78? 77? 76? 75?
>
> You get the picture -- well maybe you don't if you think 80 is reckless per se.
>
> --
> To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

80 Reckless?

Well if I'm correct the Interstates are designed for safe travel at 70
MPH in rural areas, that being the case, if 70 is safe, how is 80
reckless? West Texas allows 80 MPH during the day.

I have always encountered very light traffic on I-77 in VA north of
I-81 in Wytheville, that's where I got nailed back in 2004 doing 80+
in a 65 Zone.

Jim K. Georges

[email protected] July 6th 08 05:33 AM

On Jul 5, 9:29*pm, Arif Khokar > wrote:

> Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
> particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
> 21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
> continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Because Federal troops will occupy the state if they don't collect
it. Precedent set by George Washington.

As you may recall, the Articles of Confederation was a failure. So
they came up with a new system which a much stronger central national
government.

Brent P[_1_] July 6th 08 05:53 AM

On 2008-07-06, Arif Khokar > wrote:

> Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
> particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
> 21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
> continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Effectively, the states are not what they were any longer. Today's model
is that of an empire. The post-911 set up has a top-down follow orders
set up where state and local agencies take their orders from the federal
government. This is part of why disaster relief has been so FUBAR since
2001 and getting more so.

In theory a state could assert itself. However Lincoln pretty much
outlined the federal response to that.

Brent P[_1_] July 6th 08 05:57 AM

On 2008-07-06, BSMack > wrote:
> Eighty is wreakless driving.

wreakless?

> A lot of the drivers are too in-experienced and
> ignorant of the rules of the road to drive that fast. If the speed limit is
> dropped to 60 MPH, it should be strictly enforced with oppressive fines.

Why not enforce the rules of the road instead of worrying about speed?
After all the problem as you just stated is an ignorance of the rules of
the road. This ignorance is because of the focus on speed and BAC. Shift
the focus to proper lane usage and other rules of the road. When right
of way and lane usage rules are followed, speed on a limited access
highway is not relevant.

Brent P[_1_] July 6th 08 05:59 AM

On 2008-07-06, > wrote:

> Well if I'm correct the Interstates are designed for safe travel at 70
> MPH in rural areas, that being the case, if 70 is safe, how is 80
> reckless?

70mph in the average 1950s sedan with bias-ply tires and 4 wheel manual
drum brakes and manual steering.

> West Texas allows 80 MPH during the day.

Back in the 1930s, some people knew what limited access highways were
for:
http://geocities.com/american_autoba...speedsells.jpg

1100GS_rider July 6th 08 06:23 AM

Brent P > wrote:

> On 2008-07-06, Arif Khokar > wrote:
>
> > Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
> > particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
> > 21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
> > continue to collect the federal gas tax?

> Effectively, the states are not what they were any longer. Today's model
> is that of an empire. The post-911 set up has a top-down follow orders
> set up where state and local agencies take their orders from the federal
> government.

That started a long time before 9-11-01.

--
You can trust me; I'm not like the others.

Brent P[_1_] July 6th 08 06:40 AM

On 2008-07-06, 1100GS_rider > wrote:
> Brent P > wrote:
>
>> On 2008-07-06, Arif Khokar > wrote:
>>
>> > Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
>> > particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
>> > 21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
>> > continue to collect the federal gas tax?

>> Effectively, the states are not what they were any longer. Today's model
>> is that of an empire. The post-911 set up has a top-down follow orders
>> set up where state and local agencies take their orders from the federal
>> government.

> That started a long time before 9-11-01.

Yes. That's why I mentioned President Lincoln in the part you cut out.

Arif Khokar July 6th 08 07:29 AM

BSMack wrote:

> Eighty is wreakless driving.

Where do these semi-illiterate trolls or sock-puppets come from? I
haven't seen this one post before in either r.a.d. or m.t.r.

> A lot of the drivers are too in-experienced and
> ignorant of the rules of the road to drive that fast.

Perhaps you're one of them, but the rest of us aren't.

gpsman July 6th 08 08:29 AM

On Jul 6, 2:29 am, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> BSMack wrote:
>
> > A lot of the drivers are too in-experienced and
> > ignorant of the rules of the road to drive that fast.

> Perhaps you're one of them, but the rest of us aren't.

His assertion is obviously fact, supported by your own reports.

Yours is obviously false, and extremely unlikely to include you, if we
only compare how stupid you are to assert his assertion is false, as
his assertion is supported by your own reports.

As many people get less practice driving due to driving fewer miles
his assertion will most likely become more factual, as yours becomes
more false.

Apparently, the cognitive dissonance illustrated by constantly
complaining about the plethora of bad drivers while simultaneously
asserting they are exceedingly skilled and competent is lost upon many
if not most, if not all "knowledgeable" r.a.d. driving experts... all
of whom coincidentally share nearly the exact same driving education
and "qualifications"... that they, of course, may simultaneously
denigrate as wholly insufficient.
-----

- gpsman

John Lansford July 6th 08 01:21 PM

wrote:

>On Jul 5, 11:34*pm, H.B. Elkins >
>wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 02:02:23 GMT, BSMack wrote:
>>
>> >Eighty is wreakless driving.

>> Bzzt. Sorry, wrong, but thanks for playing.
>>
>> If 80 is, what about 79? 78? 77? 76? 75?
>>
>> You get the picture -- well maybe you don't if you think 80 is reckless per se.
>>
>> --
>> To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

>80 Reckless?
>
>Well if I'm correct the Interstates are designed for safe travel at 70
>MPH in rural areas, that being the case, if 70 is safe, how is 80
>reckless? West Texas allows 80 MPH during the day.

Some are designed for that speed; I've seen interstates designed for
lower speeds in rural areas as well.

John Lansford, PE
--
John's Shop of Wood
http://wood.jlansford.net/

John Lansford July 6th 08 01:22 PM

Arif Khokar > wrote:

>Jason Pawloski wrote:

>>> Not only that, but they could also stop collecting the federal gas tax
>>> (and lower the gas price a little bit).

>> Oooookay, I'm having difficulty understanding this. If you do not take
>> federal money for roads, you are off the hook for the federal gas tax?

>Well, if the federal government *refuses* to distribute funds to a
>particular state because they won't enact a specific law (55 mph limit,
>21 year old minimum drinking age, etc.), then why should the state
>continue to collect the federal gas tax?

Good luck with that, Arif; I'm sure that the government will see it
the same way as you do.

John Lansford, PE
--
John's Shop of Wood
http://wood.jlansford.net/

Alexander Rogge July 6th 08 05:24 PM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

>>> Eighty is wreakless driving.
>> Bzzt. Sorry, wrong, but thanks for playing.

> I drive 80 all the time and I'm completely wreckless.

I am also a wreckless driver, and I drive at over 80 mi/hr quite often.
Almost the only times that I have had problems is when some Sloth is
blocking the passing lane or failing to yield to traffic on the roadway.
Traffic usually moves along at 80 mi/hr and faster quite safely.

Larrybud July 7th 08 05:44 PM

55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

Jeff Morrison > wrote in

m:

> On Jul 5, 10:39*am, wrote:
>> I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against
>> speeding more than any state I can think of. They consider
>> anything over 80 to be Reckless Driving and nail you
>> accordingly.
>>
>> Jim K. Georges

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

You must be a politician, pulling some arbitrary number out of your
ass like that.

Eeyore July 8th 08 11:24 PM

XOZ wrote:

> On Jul 5, 3:56 am, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
> > Anyone notice Sen. John Warner (R-VA) proposing a National Speed Limit? It's easy > for him to

> do so, as he's retiring from the Senate, and won't have to face the wrath of > angry voters.
> According to AP, he's contacted the Dept. of Energy to ask what speed > limit (either 55 or 60)
> would be most fuel-efficient. 55 may have been OK east of the > Mississippi, but here out West
> (I'm in CA), it stank. Anyone try an L.A. to Salt Lake > at the despised double-nickel? Or SF to
> Dallas or Seattle to Denver? Brock Yates > said it best in 1975: The 55 speed limit is/was the
> dumbest law since Prohibition. > Speed limits should be set by the states, period. If CA wants to
> go to 70 on Interstates > and other rural freeways, or AZ, NV, UT, and NM want 75, let them. Like
> the > Sammy Hagar song goes: "I can't drive 55."

In the UK, the Department for Transport has recently run simulations that showed that congestion
(and presumably associated fuel use/waste ) would be minimised by a RISE in the National Speed
Limit from 70 to 80 mph.

Thiss would incidentally accord with the typical mainland Europe speed limit on motorways of 130
km/h (but unlimited still on some German highways).

Graham

Eeyore July 8th 08 11:27 PM

wrote:

> I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
> more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
> be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.

80 is barely 'ticking over' in my book.

How many more accidents would occur at 50 due to boredom / falling asleep at the wheel ?

Graham

Eeyore July 8th 08 11:30 PM

Jeff Morrison wrote:

> wrote:
> > I would agree, Virginia seems to have a "Hard-On" against speeding
> > more than any state I can think of. They consider anything over 80 to
> > be Reckless Driving and nail you accordingly.
> >
> > Jim K. Georges

> Anything over 80 IS reckless driving.

You must be a VERY poor driver.

In a total of 35 years driving I have exceeded that speed regularly to the
extent in one extreme instance of 55 mph i.e. 135 mph.

I have a totally CLEAN licence. Not a single endorsement on it EVER. That's
because I drive *safely*. Low speed DOES NOT ensure safety.

Graham