AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Thought about returning in a c5 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=205603)

Lawrence Lugar October 28th 07 05:27 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

i say the vette should remain front-engine, rwd.
but if the brass is so insistant on entering the exotic market with this
mid-engine vette...than make two, two versions.

one should be the vette as its configuration is now.

and one should be a limited production, 'exotic' version, mid-engine
configuration, more horses, track-tuned suspension, chasis, and an improved
interior - all at a premium price...for the american exotic-seekers

by the way, americans suck at trying to be exotic...just look at their last
attempt, with the ford gt (lol)

ps.com...

Bob I October 28th 07 03:54 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

And what is the criteria for supercar? As for power to weight, the
regular 'vette matches the the 911. Top speed, same. Balance? The 'vett
is better balanced AND has the engine mid-mounted instead of hanging
off the rear end of the differential. And it doesen't come with all the
other compromises like no trunk to speak of, silly little seats in the
package compartment, gas guzzler fuel mileage, extremely intrusive
maintenance schedule. and on an on. Stand where you will, it doesn't
change reality.

Lawrence Lugar October 28th 07 10:01 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

you're right - that's why the Vette is dubbed america's sportscar, because
everything considered...it Is a great value for performance, good mpg, truck
space, relatively high on reliability.

but if you have change to spare, the 911 Turbo is ever soooo, sooo lovely.

by the way, the 911 Turbo get's an avg. of 20mpg (i believe) and It's very
reliable(german).
it's a sportscar, you don't need large backseats and truckspace anyways
(it's not a station wagon)

if you drive both for a week, in the street and track...i can almost
guarantee you although the Vette is great, the 911 (preferably the Turbo
model) will merge with your soul like no other car, or woman, can

Bob I October 29th 07 12:22 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

Humm, guess you are one of those "believers". Considering the 911 came
in 5th in the satisfaction survey, it was below the Honda S2000, Mazda
MX-5 Miata and Mini Cooper S. And I'll give you one guess as to what car
topped the list. By the way 20mpg is dismal. Reliable? I suppose as long
as you give it back to the dealer every 30k miles to have the belts and
other flapping pieces replaced. And a while a sports car isn't a station
wagon, it still should enough room to pack some bags and souvenirs for a
vacation or outing. So basically you desire it even if it's not as good
at doing anything as well as a Corvette. Spare change? I suppose if you
are intimating that if money is no object, well a Porsche would be the
last thing I would consider ****ing it away on.

Bob I October 29th 07 02:40 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

Pretty simple Yes or No, you bought a car, would you buy it again?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q... oogle+Search

Unfortunately, your logic says if you paid MORE it MUST be better, which
is a fallacy all by itself. So in your world if it costs less it must be
inferior. In reality, I see a lot more advertising hype, than car when
it comes to Porsche, but hey, believe what you will.

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 03:17 AM

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 07:04 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

lol - i won't disagree with you on the advertising...porsche sells emotion
in their advertising, while corvette sells its performance stats.
i see it all the time in the car magazines i read.

there's four levels of sportscars:

1.) asian brands
2.) corvette
3.) porsche
4.) ferrari

they're all fine and great cars, in their respective price categories.
but one should ultimatey start from 1 and go all the way up through 4, if
possible

the vette people always say the vette can match, if not beat, the italians
and germans.
maybe or maybe not...but there's sooo much more else than just what 0-60 and
other common stat measures tells.

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 07:08 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

the ferrari will make you hot and horny.
the porsche will make your soul dance.
the corvette will make you feel like the lead actor.
and the asian sportscars, lol..will make you feel karatey and chinese foody

JimH[_2_] October 29th 07 08:21 PM

Bob I wrote:
> Pretty simple Yes or No, you bought a car, would you buy it again?
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q... oogle+Search

Well, I prefer the Corvette, but to be honest, the survey that you
linked to shows that both cars scored very high, and within a few
percent points of each other. Based on that, and the text that goes with
the table, both got a thumbs up rating. They both ranked below the
Toyota Prius, but I'm not considering one to replace my Corvette.

lab~rat >:-)[_2_] October 30th 07 01:40 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:29:06 -0700, "Lawrence Lugar"
> puked:

>a mid-engine vette won't decrease weight, nor increase 0-60 time
>it says so in the article....if anything, it'll just add cost for the sake
>of being 'exotic'
>
>i think it was the latest isssue of Road and Track. (forgot which magazine
>specifically, i subscribe to many)
>
>pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

Wouldn't the mid engine be RWD? And the engine placement is for
overall balance of the car.

--
lab~rat >:-)
Stupid humans...