AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Uber halts self-driving tests after pedestrian killed in Arizona (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440136)

Ban Uber March 20th 18 12:06 AM

Uber halts self-driving tests after pedestrian killed in Arizona

A female pedestrian was reportedly killed after being struck by
an autonomous Uber vehicle in Arizona, according to ABC 15. In
response, Uber has pulled all of its self-driving cars from
public roads in the state as well as in the cities of San
Francisco, Toronto, and Pittsburgh.

The crash occurred near Mill Avenue and Curry Road early Monday
morning in Tempe, Arizona, the channel reports. The Uber vehicle
was reportedly headed northbound when a woman walking outside of
the crosswalk was struck. The woman was taken to the hospital
where she later died from her injuries. Early reports suggested
that she may have been a bicyclist, but that may not be the case.

“Our hearts go out to the victim’s family,” an Uber spokesperson
told The Verge. “We are fully cooperating with local authorities
in their investigation of this incident.”

Uber confirms that the vehicle was traveling in autonomous mode
with a safety driver behind the wheel during the crash. That
would make the pedestrian one of the first known victims of a
crash involving a self-driving car.

Update March 19th, 12:58PM ET: Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
tweeted his condolences to the family of the victim.

dara khosrowshahi
?
@dkhos
Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona. We’re thinking of the
victim’s family as we work with local law enforcement to
understand what happened.
https://twitter.com/uber_comms/statu...76694857474048

9:58 AM - Mar 19, 2018
32