AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Thought about returning in a c5 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=205603)

rebco10 October 22nd 07 03:26 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

I had a 93 vette vert and a 96. Loved the 96. Sold it to get a newer
one. Found a newer one buy the money was spent already on stuff
like.... mortgage

Anyway, ready to jump back in. I drove a 07 vert in Florida. Great
ride fantastic performance and comfort. BTW, dont like the paddle
shift, it is not real or even close to ferrari like shifters. Anyway,
I would get a stick.

Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
fun to drive.
This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
heads up display. Plenty to like.

The owner pulls up in a red m3 bmw. I have never driven one. Always
thought they looked great. He said I could test drive it. Both cars
were around $25K.
The engine in this thing was smooth as silk. Seating position was
sedan like and easy to get in and out. Seats top notch. Back seat,
well forget that, but is was 2x better then a 911 seating. Precise
stearing and very comfortable ride. Con: Shifter was numb.

I am really leaning towards the BMW. Sure maintenance is scary but I
hardly use these cars.

If you have any opinions, please let me know. BTW, I did not plan to
look at the BMW. My plan for today was to pick between a early c5
corvette and a 87-89 911 carerra 2. If anyone has experience with the
911, I would really like to hear it.

Dave in Lake Villa October 22nd 07 02:11 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

It comes down to : Do you want a Family Car or a Sports Car (an M3 or a
Corvette) ? Lastly, had you taken that 2000 Vette thru some turns ,
you would have found out about its superior handling in addition to raw
power. Motor Trend said the Corvette outhandles the Viper even.

I think you need to hold off on your purchase until you have given my
question much more thought. Let us know what you ultimately decided on.

Dave

ACAR October 22nd 07 04:21 PM

On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:

> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy.

Tires on the 00?
7 year-old originals?

rebco10 October 23rd 07 12:10 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

On Oct 22, 9:11 am, (Dave in Lake Villa)
wrote:
> It comes down to : Do you want a Family Car or a Sports Car (an M3 or a
> Corvette) ? Lastly, had you taken that 2000 Vette thru some turns ,
> you would have found out about its superior handling in addition to raw
> power. Motor Trend said the Corvette outhandles the Viper even.
>
> I think you need to hold off on your purchase until you have given my
> question much more thought. Let us know what you ultimately decided on.
>
> Dave

Hey Dave.

Please no flames. I am a Corvette fan. The M3 stats up very close to
vette. Look. My point was the vette seemed so disconnected with the
driver.

2001 BMW (E46) M3
Year 2001
Make BMW
Model (E46) M3
Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Production Years for Series 2001 -
Price $45,500.00
Weight 3020 lbs | 1369.9 kg
Introduced At 2000 Paris Motor Show

Performance
0-60 mph 4.8 seconds.
1/4 Mile 13.2-13.3 seconds.
Top Speed 155 mph | 249.4 km/h Similar top speeds

Engine
Engine Configuration I
Cylinders 6
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 3.00 L | 183.1 cu in. | 3001 cc.
Valvetrain DOHC
Horsepower 330.00 HP (242.9 KW)
Torque 255.00 Ft-Lbs (345.8 NM) @ 4900.00 RPM
HP to Weight Ratio 9.2 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
HP / Liter 110.0 BHP / Liter
Vehicles with similar horsepower and weight

Transmission Information
Gears 6
Transmission Manual

Dimensions
Seating Capacity 4
Exterior
Length 176.701 in | 4488.2 mm.
Width 69.201 in | 1757.7 mm.
Height 54.001 in | 1371.6 mm.
Wheelbase 107.301 in | 2725.4 mm.
Vehicles with similar dimensions

2000 Chevrolet Corvette C5
Year 2000
Make Chevrolet
Model Corvette C5
Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Production Years for Series 1997 - 2003
Price $38,895.00
Weight 3218 lbs | 1459.7 kg

Performance
0-60 mph 4.8 seconds.
1/4 Mile 13.3 seconds.
Top Speed 172 mph | 276.7 km/h Similar top speeds

Engine
Engine Configuration V
Cylinders 8
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 5680.00 cc | 346.6 cu in. | 5.7 L.
Valvetrain OHV
Horsepower 345.00 BHP (253.9 KW) @ 5600.00 RPM
Torque 350.00 Ft-Lbs (474.6 NM) @ 4400.00 RPM
HP to Weight Ratio 9.3 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
HP / Liter 60.5 BHP / Liter
Vehicles with similar horsepower and weight

Transmission Information
Gears 6
Transmission Manual

I took the vette around lots of side roads and turns. That is what
bothered me. It seems to lose composure

rebco10 October 23rd 07 12:11 AM

On Oct 22, 11:21 am, ACAR > wrote:
> On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:
>
> > Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> > fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy.

> Tires on the 00?
> 7 year-old originals?

Good question. Needed tires in back.

SS October 23rd 07 11:30 AM

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:11:19 -0700, rebco10 > wrote:

>On Oct 22, 11:21 am, ACAR > wrote:
>> On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:
>>
>> > Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
>> > fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy.

>> Tires on the 00?
>> 7 year-old originals?

>Good question. Needed tires in back.

You compare this car to others knowing it's rear drive and needs rear
tires? Even if it wasn't a Vette, it would not be a fair
comparision. What an idiot.

Dave in Lake Villa October 23rd 07 12:50 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

'Please no flames. I am a Corvette fan. The M3 stats up very close to
vette. Look.'

REPLY: I regret that you took it as a flame ; not my intention. I can
see you like Corvettes. The Corvette is americas icon sports car while
the M3 is obviously a 4 seater family car , albiet, a well made car im
sure . The stats may be simular but thats not what defines a sports
car . Like the other Poster eluded to : change out the 7 year old
Corvette tires for some Michelin PS2's and the car takes on a totally
new personality . On my 2006, i swapped out the RunFlats for a set of
same size PS2's which improved handling, markedly, and made the ride
quieter.

rebco10 October 23rd 07 08:30 PM

On Oct 23, 5:30 am, SS wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:11:19 -0700, rebco10 > wrote:

> >> Tires on the 00?
> >> 7 year-old originals?

> >Good question. Needed tires in back.

> You compare this car to others knowing it's rear drive and needs rear
> tires? Even if it wasn't a Vette, it would not be a fair
> comparision. What an idiot.

Thats cute.... calling me an idiot!
The tires on the M3 were equal wear to the ride on the Vette. The 65%
worn tires are not going to have that much affect on the feel of the
car, the suspension travel and the rigity of the package. It will
have a part.

Dont call me an idiot, you dont know me and I strongly doubt I would
meet you in any of my social circles.

SS October 23rd 07 10:13 PM

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:30:47 -0700, rebco10 > wrote:

>On Oct 23, 5:30 am, SS wrote:

>> >Good question. Needed tires in back.

>> You compare this car to others knowing it's rear drive and needs rear
>> tires? Even if it wasn't a Vette, it would not be a fair
>> comparision. What an idiot.

>Thats cute.... calling me an idiot!
>The tires on the M3 were equal wear to the ride on the Vette. The 65%
>worn tires are not going to have that much affect on the feel of the
>car, the suspension travel and the rigity of the package. It will
>have a part.
>
>Dont call me an idiot, you dont know me and I strongly doubt I would
>meet you in any of my social circles.

You might be surprised if we had to compare net worths but I still say
you sound like an idiot expecting a sports car to handle well on a
rear drive with worn rubber. But heck buy what you want. I don't
really care.

rebco10 October 24th 07 12:34 AM

On Oct 23, 5:13 pm, SS wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:30:47 -0700, rebco10 > wrote:

> >> You compare this car to others knowing it's rear drive and needs rear
> >> tires? Even if it wasn't a Vette, it would not be a fair
> >> comparision. What an idiot.

> >Thats cute.... calling me an idiot!
> >The tires on the M3 were equal wear to the ride on the Vette. The 65%
> >worn tires are not going to have that much affect on the feel of the
> >car, the suspension travel and the rigity of the package. It will
> >have a part.

> >Dont call me an idiot, you dont know me and I strongly doubt I would
> >meet you in any of my social circles.

> You might be surprised if we had to compare net worths but I still say
> you sound like an idiot expecting a sports car to handle well on a
> rear drive with worn rubber. But heck buy what you want. I don't
> really care. - Hide quoted text -

Dear Sir.
You use a venue where your name and location is hidden, and flame
without instigation.
You are not an idiot or an ass. Just imature. I beg of you to please
not respond to any of my topics. I use this sight for assistance and
really can not waste my valuable time. If you continue to name call,
then great. At least you get you vent here instead of at home.

[email protected] October 24th 07 12:45 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I had a 93 vette vert and a 96. Loved the 96. Sold it to get a newer
> one. Found a newer one buy the money was spent already on stuff
> like.... mortgage
>
> Anyway, ready to jump back in. I drove a 07 vert in Florida. Great
> ride fantastic performance and comfort. BTW, dont like the paddle
> shift, it is not real or even close to ferrari like shifters. Anyway,
> I would get a stick.
>
> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.
>
> The owner pulls up in a red m3 bmw. I have never driven one. Always
> thought they looked great. He said I could test drive it. Both cars
> were around $25K.
> The engine in this thing was smooth as silk. Seating position was
> sedan like and easy to get in and out. Seats top notch. Back seat,
> well forget that, but is was 2x better then a 911 seating. Precise
> stearing and very comfortable ride. Con: Shifter was numb.
>
> I am really leaning towards the BMW. Sure maintenance is scary but I
> hardly use these cars.
>
> If you have any opinions, please let me know. BTW, I did not plan to
> look at the BMW. My plan for today was to pick between a early c5
> corvette and a 87-89 911 carerra 2. If anyone has experience with the
> 911, I would really like to hear it.

We had an lt4 and have driven the M3. Both are great. The m3 is much
more refined like a precision machine. If it is quality, composure,
go with BMW and of course 4 real seats. The Vette is brute force.
The Vette feels like a chevy. It is plastic and rough and well that
is part of the beauty.

name October 24th 07 05:59 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic

the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can

oups.com...

ACAR October 25th 07 01:25 PM

On Oct 23, 3:30 pm, rebco10 > wrote:

> The tires on the M3 were equal wear to the ride on the Vette. The 65%
> worn tires are not going to have that much affect on the feel of the
> car, the suspension travel and the rigity of the package. It will
> have a part.

This is not accurate. Tire performance is not all about tread depth.
7 year old tires worn 65% will not perform the same as 1 year old
tires worn 65%.
7 year old tires should not be on any sports car regardless of tread
depth.
Tires play a HUGE role in the way a car feels.

Years ago I taught my kids this lesson with a Toyota Corolla. On OEM
tires the car was a poor handler, it wandered at speed and was very
sensitive to cross winds and poor pavement. The ABS seemed not to work
very well. Then I put a set of high performance Pirelli tires on the
car. Everything changed. They couldn't believe it was the same car.
They wore out those Pirellis in 20,000 miles but they learned a bit
about driving.

ACAR October 25th 07 01:30 PM

On Oct 24, 12:59 am, "name" > wrote:
> the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic
>
> the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can

You might want to test drive a Cayman. It's mid-engine layout has some
advantages over the 911. (Some rumors are circulating that GM is
seriously considering a mid-engined Corvette.)

You should not test drive a Ferrari.

Bob G.[_2_] October 25th 07 04:05 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

>Years ago I taught my kids this lesson with a Toyota Corolla. On OEM
>tires the car was a poor handler, it wandered at speed and was very
>sensitive to cross winds and poor pavement. The ABS seemed not to work
>very well. Then I put a set of high performance Pirelli tires on the
>car. Everything changed. They couldn't believe it was the same car.
>They wore out those Pirellis in 20,000 miles but they learned a bit
>about driving.

Years (mid 80's) ago I purchased an new Audi 5000 for my daily driver
came with Pirellis from the Factory.... WIFE liked (loved) that car so
darn much she purchased an identical car (different) color for herself
about a month afterward.

Long story short... Her car was delivered with Continential Tires.

Cars drove completely different, ...The following week "we"
mounted a set of Pirelles on her car and she smiles for close to
200000 miles ....

Tires make a BIG difference...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Convertibles
76 & 79 Coupes

[email protected][_2_] October 25th 07 06:05 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.

I have a '96 and an '03. I know what you mean about the handling.
The 03 feels very much like you are perched on it. The 96 feels like
you are snuggled into it. The 96 GSC tires are slightly stickier than
the EMT's on the 03. I think that's why the Z06's don't use the
EMT's. The 96 is heavier with more body roll but slightly better
pitch and yaw stability in corners and much better yaw stability when
braking, especially on uneven pavement.
Awhile back I read a comment from someone who raced C5's
professionally. As I recall, he said that you have to just have faith
that the C5 will get through the corner as you don't get much
feedback.
I drive both the 96 and the 03 every week and through the same
turns. The best description I can give of the difference is that at
50 MPH on a typical cloverleaf loop, the 03 is busier than the 96.

name October 25th 07 10:53 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

"ACAR" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 24, 12:59 am, "name" > wrote:
>> the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic
>>
>> the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can
>>

> You might want to test drive a Cayman. It's mid-engine layout has some
> advantages over the 911. (Some rumors are circulating that GM is
> seriously considering a mid-engined Corvette.)
>
> You should not test drive a Ferrari.

ferrari is great - it captures so much emotion for the driver like no other
car can...specially with its hot interior, and sexy engine sound
but it's expensive, high maintenance and can be bitchy easily

i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
front-engine design placement

call me a traditionalist, but the only porsche i like is the 911 carerras -
specially the king, the Turbo.
i don't care for much for the boxster, cayman, suv, or carrera gt

Z˙RiX[_2_] October 26th 07 09:47 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
>> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
>> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
>> fun to drive.
>> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
>> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
>> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
>> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
>> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
>> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
>> heads up display. Plenty to like.

> I have a '96 and an '03. I know what you mean about the handling.
> The 03 feels very much like you are perched on it. The 96 feels like
> you are snuggled into it. The 96 GSC tires are slightly stickier than
> the EMT's on the 03. I think that's why the Z06's don't use the
> EMT's. The 96 is heavier with more body roll but slightly better
> pitch and yaw stability in corners and much better yaw stability when
> braking, especially on uneven pavement.
> Awhile back I read a comment from someone who raced C5's
> professionally. As I recall, he said that you have to just have faith
> that the C5 will get through the corner as you don't get much
> feedback.
> I drive both the 96 and the 03 every week and through the same
> turns. The best description I can give of the difference is that at
> 50 MPH on a typical cloverleaf loop, the 03 is busier than the 96.

Change the tires.....

--
Z˙RiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

ACAR October 26th 07 03:16 PM

On Oct 25, 5:53 pm, "name" > wrote:

> i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
> considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
> front-engine design placement

If mid-engined is the way Corvette has to go in order to shed weight -
then so be it.
Ever increasing HP is gonna send insurance rates even higher. Corvette
has to find another way to boost performance.
A mid-engined platform should also allow for an AWD option. I'd
certainly go for that!

Traditionalists will have the new Camaro by the time the C7 comes out.

Lawrence Lugar October 26th 07 04:29 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

a mid-engine vette won't decrease weight, nor increase 0-60 time
it says so in the article....if anything, it'll just add cost for the sake
of being 'exotic'

i think it was the latest isssue of Road and Track. (forgot which magazine
specifically, i subscribe to many)

pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

ups.com...

PJ October 26th 07 05:47 PM

Lawrence Lugar wrote:
> a mid-engine vette won't decrease weight, nor increase 0-60 time
> it says so in the article....if anything, it'll just add cost for the sake
> of being 'exotic'
>
> i think it was the latest isssue of Road and Track. (forgot which magazine
> specifically, i subscribe to many)
>
> pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

All is not race/track in this market. Strap on a 914-6 or Lotus and
give a 'middie' a try in a wide variety of driving situations. (If yhou
have more money than I -- a lot more -- go Italian) Putting your fanny
near the CG with very low polar moment yields a lot of pure joy in road
sport. Don't judge by something like the MR2 or Fiero or some race cars
where the engine's center of mass is quite high.

> "ACAR" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Oct 25, 5:53 pm, "name" > wrote:
>>>
>>> i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
>>> considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
>>> front-engine design placement

>> If mid-engined is the way Corvette has to go in order to shed weight -
>> then so be it.
>> Ever increasing HP is gonna send insurance rates even higher. Corvette
>> has to find another way to boost performance.
>> A mid-engined platform should also allow for an AWD option. I'd
>> certainly go for that!
>>
>> Traditionalists will have the new Camaro by the time the C7 comes out.

While fun to drive, mid-engine layouts (I speak to less expensive
criters that I've owned: MR2, Lotus, Porsche, & Fiero) have poor use of
interior volume. Storage, for a weekend trip is laughable. Any
production Corvette has to carry golf clubs... period.

Middies are a nightmare when it comes to maintenance accessibility --
the flat rate manual hours, for what we think of as simple tasks, are
sky high. Plumbing for cooling and a/c add weight and cost. Engine
layout, to keep vertical center of mass low, is a challenge.

The horsepower vs. insurance rate scare argument has been around since
the first Chrysler 300 -- circa 1950s -- and it doesn't prove out.

My Corvette insurance rates have dropped even though HP has increased.
Drunks, immature drivers and racing exposure all raise prices. My '02
costs less than does my '89 for all elements of the policy including
comprehensive. The liability and med coverages are much lower on the
'02 -- the car is safer! This year's bill is less than what I paid in
2005. (the result of placing less importance on ZIP code and more on a
driver's track record.)

--
pj

Bob I October 26th 07 09:32 PM

ACAR wrote:
> On Oct 25, 5:53 pm, "name" > wrote:
>>
>> i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
>> considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
>> front-engine design placement

> If mid-engined is the way Corvette has to go in order to shed weight -
> then so be it.
> Ever increasing HP is gonna send insurance rates even higher. Corvette
> has to find another way to boost performance.
> A mid-engined platform should also allow for an AWD option. I'd
> certainly go for that!
>
> Traditionalists will have the new Camaro by the time the C7 comes out.

The 'vette IS a mid-engine forward mounted design. Mid engine means
between the rear AND the front wheels. The engine is behind the front
wheels. AWD isn't going to shed any weight. Look what a Z06 does to a
Lambo, and with 135 less horsepower.

Lawrence Lugar October 27th 07 06:54 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

the best supercar for the street/everyday life...is by far, the 911 Turbo

ferrari's and lambo's, even the z06 is best at home on a track...driving it
in street conditions is like walking a wildcat on a leash in the park

Bob I October 27th 07 03:10 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

Unfortunately you have way too many compromises for it to be used as a
daily driver so the 'vette gets the nod once again.

Tom in Missouri October 27th 07 07:02 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

I saved this note because I think the last line says it all about tires and
their importance.

Tom in Missouri October 27th 07 07:11 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

This is the exact impression I had when I test drove a '97 new back in the
spring of '97.

It was like leaving the Hertz rental car office and climbing into any
generic rental car - blah. It certainly didn't feel like a Corvette.
Granted, all I did was drive it around a few blocks, and never had the
opportunity to push it, but in just a regular drive, it felt just like any
regular car. I've never seen any other Corvette do that.

ups.com...

Lawrence Lugar October 27th 07 09:57 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

if it's the 'vette...it's the c6, not the zo6, that's best suited for a
daily driver

but even then, there's a reason the 911 Turbo is known for being a supercar
for everyday
....so my vote still stands, firmly

ACAR October 28th 07 12:12 AM

On Oct 26, 11:29 am, "Lawrence Lugar" > wrote:

> pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

While pure race track isn't what the Corvette is all about why would
mid-engine rule out RWD?
(I was thinking of AWD as an option to make the car more useful off
the track.)
And I wouldn't take R&T's assessment as the last word. Did R&T ever
predict that the C5 would weigh as little as it does?

Unfortunately, pj has a point about storage for golf clubs. The vast
majority of Corvettes are sold with automatic transmissions and see
little sporting use. Mid-engined might work if GM did something like
the RX8's "freestyle" doors for storage behind the seats. But the C7
is likely to be evolutionary, not revolutionary, and remain front-
engine, RWD.

Lawrence Lugar October 28th 07 01:35 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

lol - i think you have evolutionary and revolutionary confused with each
other - based on your sentence composition.

if the vette is to remain front-engine, rwd...then that'd be revolutionary;
to be evolutionary...it'd need to be mid-engine

ups.com...

ACAR[_1_] October 28th 07 03:38 AM

On Oct 27, 8:35 pm, "Lawrence Lugar" > wrote:
> lol - i think you have evolutionary and revolutionary confused with each
> other - based on your sentence composition.
>
> if the vette is to remain front-engine, rwd...then that'd be revolutionary;
> to be evolutionary...it'd need to be mid-engine

No, a revolutionary design would require a radical change, like mid-
engine. Evolution is more like the way the 911 has changed (or not
changed) over time. I think you are mixing up mutation (abrupt change
in form) with evolution (gradual, progressive change).

Whatever words are chosen, the Corvette is likely to retain its
current configuration if only to keep cost down. I can't see GM
investing in another sports car platform until they can regain some
market share and profitability.

But a mid-engined Corvette would shake the industry if GM could pull
it off at a low price point. Let the old farts put their golf clubs
into a Camaro, I say.

Lawrence Lugar October 28th 07 04:27 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

i say the vette should remain front-engine, rwd.
but if the brass is so insistant on entering the exotic market with this
mid-engine vette...than make two, two versions.

one should be the vette as its configuration is now.

and one should be a limited production, 'exotic' version, mid-engine
configuration, more horses, track-tuned suspension, chasis, and an improved
interior - all at a premium price...for the american exotic-seekers

by the way, americans suck at trying to be exotic...just look at their last
attempt, with the ford gt (lol)

ps.com...

Bob I October 28th 07 02:54 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

And what is the criteria for supercar? As for power to weight, the
regular 'vette matches the the 911. Top speed, same. Balance? The 'vett
is better balanced AND has the engine mid-mounted instead of hanging
off the rear end of the differential. And it doesen't come with all the
other compromises like no trunk to speak of, silly little seats in the
package compartment, gas guzzler fuel mileage, extremely intrusive
maintenance schedule. and on an on. Stand where you will, it doesn't
change reality.

Lawrence Lugar October 28th 07 09:01 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

you're right - that's why the Vette is dubbed america's sportscar, because
everything considered...it Is a great value for performance, good mpg, truck
space, relatively high on reliability.

but if you have change to spare, the 911 Turbo is ever soooo, sooo lovely.

by the way, the 911 Turbo get's an avg. of 20mpg (i believe) and It's very
reliable(german).
it's a sportscar, you don't need large backseats and truckspace anyways
(it's not a station wagon)

if you drive both for a week, in the street and track...i can almost
guarantee you although the Vette is great, the 911 (preferably the Turbo
model) will merge with your soul like no other car, or woman, can

Bob I October 28th 07 11:22 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

Humm, guess you are one of those "believers". Considering the 911 came
in 5th in the satisfaction survey, it was below the Honda S2000, Mazda
MX-5 Miata and Mini Cooper S. And I'll give you one guess as to what car
topped the list. By the way 20mpg is dismal. Reliable? I suppose as long
as you give it back to the dealer every 30k miles to have the belts and
other flapping pieces replaced. And a while a sports car isn't a station
wagon, it still should enough room to pack some bags and souvenirs for a
vacation or outing. So basically you desire it even if it's not as good
at doing anything as well as a Corvette. Spare change? I suppose if you
are intimating that if money is no object, well a Porsche would be the
last thing I would consider ****ing it away on.

Bob I October 29th 07 01:40 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

Pretty simple Yes or No, you bought a car, would you buy it again?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q... oogle+Search

Unfortunately, your logic says if you paid MORE it MUST be better, which
is a fallacy all by itself. So in your world if it costs less it must be
inferior. In reality, I see a lot more advertising hype, than car when
it comes to Porsche, but hey, believe what you will.

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 02:17 AM

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 06:04 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

lol - i won't disagree with you on the advertising...porsche sells emotion
in their advertising, while corvette sells its performance stats.
i see it all the time in the car magazines i read.

there's four levels of sportscars:

1.) asian brands
2.) corvette
3.) porsche
4.) ferrari

they're all fine and great cars, in their respective price categories.
but one should ultimatey start from 1 and go all the way up through 4, if
possible

the vette people always say the vette can match, if not beat, the italians
and germans.
maybe or maybe not...but there's sooo much more else than just what 0-60 and
other common stat measures tells.

Lawrence Lugar October 29th 07 06:08 AM

Thought about returning in a c5

the ferrari will make you hot and horny.
the porsche will make your soul dance.
the corvette will make you feel like the lead actor.
and the asian sportscars, lol..will make you feel karatey and chinese foody

JimH[_2_] October 29th 07 07:21 PM

Bob I wrote:
> Pretty simple Yes or No, you bought a car, would you buy it again?
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q... oogle+Search

Well, I prefer the Corvette, but to be honest, the survey that you
linked to shows that both cars scored very high, and within a few
percent points of each other. Based on that, and the text that goes with
the table, both got a thumbs up rating. They both ranked below the
Toyota Prius, but I'm not considering one to replace my Corvette.

lab~rat >:-)[_2_] October 30th 07 12:40 PM

Thought about returning in a c5

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:29:06 -0700, "Lawrence Lugar"
> puked:

>a mid-engine vette won't decrease weight, nor increase 0-60 time
>it says so in the article....if anything, it'll just add cost for the sake
>of being 'exotic'
>
>i think it was the latest isssue of Road and Track. (forgot which magazine
>specifically, i subscribe to many)
>
>pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

Wouldn't the mid engine be RWD? And the engine placement is for
overall balance of the car.

--
lab~rat >:-)
Stupid humans...