AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1986 Fifth Avenue-Cold Start-crank 3 times-Start on 4th try (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=371482)

Bob AZ December 17th 11 04:52 AM

1986 Fifth Avenue-Cold Start-crank 3 times-Start on 4th try

My 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue takes 4 trys to start in the morning.
Simply does not start on the first 3 tries. Starts right up on the 4th
try. Starts and runs throughtout the day without problems. Then after
sitting all night back to the 4 crank mode.

New plugs and wires, rebuilt carburetor and distributor.

I think it might be the ECM module (Spark Control Computer) but am not
sure.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob AZ

sctvguy1[_2_] December 17th 11 03:30 PM

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:52:05 -0800, Bob AZ wrote:

> My 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue takes 4 trys to start in the morning.
> Simply does not start on the first 3 tries. Starts right up on the 4th
> try. Starts and runs throughtout the day without problems. Then after
> sitting all night back to the 4 crank mode.
>
> New plugs and wires, rebuilt carburetor and distributor.
>
> I think it might be the ECM module (Spark Control Computer) but am not
> sure.
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Bob AZ

Is that the one that still has the "Lean Burn System"? My mother had
one, and had it taken off and replaced the carb with an older model.
That Lean Burn System gave her constant problems with OK weather.

rob December 18th 11 05:26 AM

1986 Fifth Avenue-Cold Start-crank 3 times-Start on 4th try

sounds like the fuel in the fuel line is bleeding back to the tank during
the night.

check the pressure at the carb. in the morning after it has sat all night,

u c coskun January 9th 12 03:30 AM

On Dec 17 2011, 11:26*pm, "Rob" > wrote:
> sounds like the fuel in the fuel line is bleeding back to the tank during
> the night.
>
> check the pressure at the carb. in the morning after it has sat all night,
>
> "Bob AZ" > wrote in message

> > My 1986 Chrysler Fifth Avenue takes 4 trys to start in the morning.
> > Simply does not start on the first 3 tries. Starts right up on the 4th
> > try. Starts and runs throughtout the day without problems. Then after
> > sitting all night back to the 4 crank mode.

> > New plugs and wires, rebuilt carburetor and distributor.

> > I think it might be the ECM module (Spark Control Computer) but am not
> > sure.

> > Any input would be appreciated.

> > Thanks
> > Bob *AZ

if it is the fuel pressure problem, you can just test it by turn on
the key, take it off and turn on again. you can do this a couple of
times to activate the fuel pump for couple of times before cranking.
if the fuel pressure builds up, the car will fire up immediately. if
the car starts immediately, you might have leaky fuel pressure
regulartor, or weak fuel pump. if the car has carburator maybe some of
the jets might be clogged.
ps.: I assume this is a fuel injected/throttle body car. if it has
carburator, that might be totally different story.