AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Backing Up GPL to DVD (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=72278)

BRH August 14th 06 03:53 PM

Backing Up GPL to DVD

I want to free up some space in my hard drive and have decided to remove
GPL for now. Since GPL has nothing in the registry, I'm trying to just
back-up the GPL folder. With all of the add-ons, etc, my GPL folder is
about 2.8 Gigs.

Therefore, I'd like to back it up to a DVD. I tried simply copying it
over to my DVD Recorder using WindowsXP Drag-and-Drop, but I get a
message saying that "Windows encountered a problem."

Can someone explain the procedure to back-up to a DVD? This should be
pretty simple, but maybe I'm missing a step or two.

Thanks!

LuvrSmel August 14th 06 04:40 PM

Backing Up GPL to DVD

your dvd has to be formatted before drag and drop will work.
I wouldn't use the windows program.
Use a third party app such as Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator's "drag to disc"
Nero has their own too.

PlowBoy August 14th 06 05:42 PM

Backing Up GPL to DVD

Wizip it, that way there is not one problem with file names, If I were you
then burn that file (wont be much smaller than not zipped) to the DVD.
Trust me.
LuvrSmel enlightened us with:

Famille Leclerc August 14th 06 10:23 PM

Backing Up GPL to DVD

That's exactly what I'm doing and it's working great.
I used a direct copy before and your stuck with read only files when you
copy it back :-(.

BRH August 15th 06 02:00 AM

Backing Up GPL to DVD

LuvrSmel wrote:
> your dvd has to be formatted before drag and drop will work.
> I wouldn't use the windows program.
> Use a third party app such as Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator's "drag to disc"
> Nero has their own too.
>
> <BRH> wrote in message . ..
>
>>I want to free up some space in my hard drive and have decided to remove
>>GPL for now. Since GPL has nothing in the registry, I'm trying to just
>>back-up the GPL folder. With all of the add-ons, etc, my GPL folder is
>>about 2.8 Gigs.
>>
>>Therefore, I'd like to back it up to a DVD. I tried simply copying it
>>over to my DVD Recorder using WindowsXP Drag-and-Drop, but I get a message
>>saying that "Windows encountered a problem."
>>
>>Can someone explain the procedure to back-up to a DVD? This should be
>>pretty simple, but maybe I'm missing a step or two.
>>
>>Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I used Nero's Back-Up program and worked fine.