AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Radio shuts itself off (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=154433)

Al Williams May 9th 07 04:13 PM

Radio shuts itself off

98 Explorer EB with high-end "Mach" radio (the one with the display issue)
with Tape/CD/CD changer and steering wheel controls.

Recently the radio has begun shutting itself off all by itself. I turn it
back on and it comes back but then shuts off a while later.

I don't think it's getting hot as it isn't on long or turned up too high.
It seems to only happen sometimes but when it does happen it is persistent.
IE: I took it out for a short trip and it shut off 6+ times. After it was
parked and restarted it worked fine all the way home.

I was thinking the steering controls (sometimes they glitch) but there isn't
an "off" button on there.

Any idea what could cause this?

Are there any "codes" on the radio I could look for (and how)?

Thanks.

--
Allan Williams

Steven Hilgendorf May 9th 07 11:57 PM

Radio shuts itself off

Had the same problem with mine awhile back, '98 EB also. Well, actually
both problems. Once with the display and once with the 'shutting-off'.
Both times replaced under warranty. So far so good with the second,
or third??, replacement...

Good luck,

Steven