AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Trick for swollen inner brake hoses (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=374338)

Viet Vet August 17th 12 11:55 PM

Trick for swollen inner brake hoses

those flexible rubber hoses that run to the wheel, swell up inside and
tho the brakes may go on, they don't release.
How to tell, the brakes get hot!
my trick is to saw them off at the rubber /metal end. and use a deep
socket wrench to loosen them. works like a charm. esp. at the junction
block in the rear.
--
Karma, What a concept!

Jan Andersson[_4_] August 18th 12 12:24 PM

On 8/17/2012 6:55 PM, Viet Vet wrote:
> those flexible rubber hoses that run to the wheel, swell up inside and
> tho the brakes may go on, they don't release.
> How to tell, the brakes get hot!
> my trick is to saw them off at the rubber /metal end. and use a deep
> socket wrench to loosen them. works like a charm. esp. at the junction
> block in the rear.

100% true. I would not even try an open wrench on them if the hose (or
hard line) is getting replaced, you just risk rounding off the nut. Cut
it first, then you can get a snug fitting 6-point deep socket on it.

John[_28_] August 22nd 12 02:41 AM

Trick for swollen inner brake hoses

Gotta do that when I get a bit of time ( ie when I,m not looking after
Grandkids!). Was wondering about job with lousy access. Good idea.