AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   rear brake shoes (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=152029)

leslie May 2nd 07 12:23 PM

rear brake shoes

Hello. I have a 2003 jeep wrangler - great vehicle! I took it to the
shop yesterday to have the oil changed, tires rotated and brakes
checked. All looked good, but the mechanic told me he'd never seen
brake shoes like I had on the rear, and I'm wondering if this is
normal or if they need to be changed...the rear brake shoes have a
"cut" down the middle. There is no metal-on-metal sound when brakes
are applied, but they do making a low "thumping" kind of noise. Since
these are the original brake shoes, I don't know if this is normal or
if they've deteriorated and should be replaced? Any help on this is
greatly appreciated.

Leslie

SnoMan May 2nd 07 01:20 PM

rear brake shoes

On 2 May 2007 04:23:43 -0700, leslie > wrote:

>Hello. I have a 2003 jeep wrangler - great vehicle! I took it to the
>shop yesterday to have the oil changed, tires rotated and brakes
>checked. All looked good, but the mechanic told me he'd never seen
>brake shoes like I had on the rear, and I'm wondering if this is
>normal or if they need to be changed...the rear brake shoes have a
>"cut" down the middle. There is no metal-on-metal sound when brakes
>are applied, but they do making a low "thumping" kind of noise. Since
>these are the original brake shoes, I don't know if this is normal or
>if they've deteriorated and should be replaced? Any help on this is
>greatly appreciated.

The thumping noisy you hear is likely from warped drums thatcause the
brake shoes to "walk" around in drum a bit when brakes are applied. I
would not worry about groove is there is plenty of pad left but do not
try to run pads down to bitter end, When I inspect pads and find about
40% or less pad left, I change the pads. Granted I am spending a bit
more in the long run doing this but then I also have more reserve wear
in them if I do not check them again for a while.
TheSnoMan.com

Earle Horton[_15_] May 2nd 07 03:13 PM

rear brake shoes

You mean like cut on purpose? That mechanic must be pretty green if he's
never seen anything like that. Drum brakes can thump a little if they are
too loose, or if someone else has said the drums are out of round.

Earle

ups.com...