AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1950 Buick Special starts, idles, but dies when given gas... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=280660)

ClubHabel July 7th 08 09:22 AM

1950 Buick Special starts, idles, but dies when given gas...

From an idle, the car dies if I give it a lot of gas; however, if I
slowly try to get the RPM’s up, it’ll run and I can rev the engine so
long as the rpm’s are up.

Any thoughts on my problem?

I had the carburetor rebuilt, tank resealed, no work to fuel pump,
could use new plugs and wires, did put on new points, distributor cap,
coil. But I am by no means an expert mechanic.

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.AutoForumz.com/1950-Buick...ict229133.html

Dave Young July 7th 08 01:56 PM

1950 Buick Special starts, idles, but dies when given gas...

My bet is that the accelerator pump in the carb is not functioning
properly, even though the carb was rebuilt

I've cut and pasted (and paraphrased) the below found on the Internet to
explain its operation:

Dave

"A carburetors require a vacuum (created by the engine) to pull fuel
through the jetting. The accelerator pump is a mechanical rubber-tipped
piston that richens up the mixture to get things cooking until the
whirling pistons creates a vacuum strong enough to keep the fuel flowing
on its own. Sound complicated? It shouldn’t. The basic idea works
something like this:

An additional jet (called a leak jet) provides a very small amount of
fuel to the pump. When you tap the throttle, this rod-driven plunger
pushes a small supply of fuel into the intake track of the engine.
Kicking (or pushing the little button) ignites this fuel, which, of
course, begins the piston motion that creates the vacuum that replaces
the need for the pump. The core idea of the accelerator pump is to
provide a more stable starting procedure."

Stude July 8th 08 01:03 AM

On Jul 7, 5:56*am, Dave Young > wrote:
> My bet is that the accelerator pump in the carb is not functioning
> properly, even though the carb was rebuilt
>
> I've cut and pasted (and paraphrased) the below found on the Internet to
> explain its operation:
>
> Dave
>
> "A carburetors require a vacuum (created by the engine) to pull fuel
> through the jetting. The accelerator pump is a mechanical rubber-tipped
> piston that richens up the mixture to get things cooking until the
> whirling pistons creates a vacuum strong enough to keep the fuel flowing
> on its own. Sound complicated? It shouldn’t. The basic idea works
> something like this:
>
> An additional jet (called a leak jet) provides a very small amount of
> fuel to the pump. *When you tap the throttle, this rod-driven plunger
> pushes a small supply of fuel into the intake track of the engine.
> Kicking (or pushing the little button) ignites this fuel, which, of
> course, begins the piston motion that creates the vacuum that replaces
> the need for the pump. The core idea of the accelerator pump is to
> provide a more stable starting procedure."
>

> ClubHabel wrote:
> > From an idle, the car dies if I give it a lot of gas; however, if I
> > slowly try to get the RPM’s up, it’ll run and I can rev the engine so
> > long as the rpm’s are up.

> > Any thoughts on my problem?

> > I had the carburetor rebuilt, tank resealed, no work to fuel pump,
> > could use new plugs and wires, did put on new points, distributor cap,
> > coil. *But I am by no means an expert mechanic.- Hide quoted text -

My thinking was along the same lines, but for ease, I'd check the fuel
pump and filter if the bowl is easy to see. If you have the nerve,
shoot some gas into the carb inlet to see what happens. NB If you're
silly enough to do this and things fo wrong, don't blame me!

Dave D August 5th 08 07:24 AM

"ClubHabel" > wrote in message
news:1122654_2043ae3653d19ff794f7d54ed1a1deeb@auto forumz.com...
> From an idle, the car dies if I give it a lot of gas; however, if I
> slowly try to get the RPM's up, it'll run and I can rev the engine so
> long as the rpm's are up.
>
> Any thoughts on my problem?
>
> I had the carburetor rebuilt, tank resealed, no work to fuel pump,
> could use new plugs and wires, did put on new points, distributor cap,
> coil. But I am by no means an expert mechanic.
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com
> interface
> Thread archive:
> http://www.AutoForumz.com/1950-Buick...ict229133.html

You have gotten several excellent suggestions but try this. If it has a
manual choke, pull the knob out about halfway and see if that affects the
symptoms. If so, then the motor is starving. Too much air, not enough gas.
If it doesn't change anything, check the gap on your points. If they
misgapped or the set screw has loosened up then the points could be the
culprit... Good luck

Dave D