AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   engine pull (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=78254)

Jeff Barnes November 12th 06 03:48 PM

engine pull

Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the motor. ARE
THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves connected to the
heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the old tubes for 120,000
miles

Olli Lammi November 12th 06 04:07 PM

engine pull

Jeff Barnes wrote:
> Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the motor. ARE
> THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves connected to the
> heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the old tubes for 120,000
> miles

The two bottom _nuts_ are accessible from the bottom of the car. They
are in front of the engine. Look above the transmission mount "horns" in
the back portion of the transmission case.

---
Olli

Dennis[_4_] November 12th 06 04:14 PM

engine pull

I would suggest purchasing John Muirs " Idiot's Guide " as it has a lot
of illustrations and clear instructions on engine removal. Works for
me...Dennis

Speedy Jim November 12th 06 04:34 PM

engine pull

Jeff Barnes wrote:

> Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the motor. ARE
> THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves connected to the
> heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the old tubes for 120,000
> miles

Puff, puff.... Gotta post this before Jan does:
http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/pull_it.html

Ahhhhhh. Made it! :-)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Jan[_3_] November 12th 06 06:42 PM

engine pull

Speedy Jim kirjoitti:
> Jeff Barnes wrote:
>
>> Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the
>> motor. ARE THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves
>> connected to the heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the
>> old tubes for 120,000 miles
>>

> Puff, puff.... Gotta post this before Jan does:
> http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/pull_it.html
>
> Ahhhhhh. Made it! :-)
>

> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Sheesh, I was JUST going to do that!

ARGH!

Jan

[email protected][_1_] November 12th 06 06:51 PM

engine pull

://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/pull_it.html

Is it time for Jan to write an updated version of Muirs "Idiots Guide"

Not taking anything away from John Muirs, some one like Jan should wite
an updated version to help out an ever growing interest. As the
vehicles are getting older there is much more involved in getting them
road worthy and for reasons I can understands more shops catering to
aircooled VW's shutting down. I believe the hoodride thing is just
because alot of the kids getting in to the aircooled scene are only
finding very poor conditioned cars and just throwing them together to
drive.

I had a kid stop by in a 65 that was setting on a foot locker looking
for a starter so he didn't have to push start his car. No interior no
speedo (why is the alt. not charging?) and a leaking master cylinder.

Yes I took his last $50 and gave him a new master cylinder and a
speedo, gave him the name of a few books and online sites and sent him
on his way.
I was reminded that NC doesn't require inspections any more ..:oP

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Jan[_3_] November 12th 06 06:52 PM

engine pull

Speedy Jim kirjoitti:
> Jeff Barnes wrote:
>
>> Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the
>> motor. ARE THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves
>> connected to the heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the
>> old tubes for 120,000 miles
>>

> Puff, puff.... Gotta post this before Jan does:
> http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/pull_it.html
>
> Ahhhhhh. Made it! :-)
>

> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

I guess I should get those typos fixed one of these days, too :)

And I still haven't written that article on engine rebuild. I'm STILL
"thinking" about it, but if I do it, it will be LONG and detailed. And
it would probably **** of some people who do it for a living, giving
away "secrets" of the trade. Like, uh, myself :) Why give step by step
instructions if it means losing customers who are brave enough to try it
themselves... LOL ;)

Jan

AYBABTU November 13th 06 04:05 PM

engine pull

In article >,
Olli Lammi A> wrote:

> Jeff Barnes wrote:
> > Jeff 1974 vw bug looking for the bottom engine bolts to pull the motor. ARE
> > THEY on to of the engine tin that protects the valves connected to the
> > heater boxes? lots of oil and junk leaking from the old tubes for 120,000
> > miles

> The two bottom _nuts_ are accessible from the bottom of the car. They
> are in front of the engine. Look above the transmission mount "horns" in
> the back portion of the transmission case.
>
> ---
> Olli

Let's hope they are there. not left off.
a "crime" in engine pull contests at Bug Ins.
btw. what is the record time for an engine pull & replace?
three and a half minutes start to finish line. I've heard, anyone better
that?

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"

anton[_1_] November 13th 06 06:24 PM

engine pull

there used to be a video on youtube with guinness record on engine
swap. Can't find it anymore :(

Anton

Olli Lammi November 13th 06 08:13 PM

engine pull

anton wrote:
> there used to be a video on youtube with guinness record on engine
> swap. Can't find it anymore :(

You see how easy the engine pull is ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bCS34-rZuY

---