AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=175329)

Luke Packard July 19th 07 06:42 AM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

Greetings all,

I have an '02 Town & Country limited and discovered today I have a locked
ignition. I tried a couple different keys but it won't unlock. What's
interesting is that the brake pedal seems as if its already depressed.
Anyone have a clue as to what the issue is and if I can take care of it
myself?

Thanks,
Luke

damnnickname July 19th 07 10:56 AM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

If what you are referring to is the ignition switch wont turn, try tapping
on the key with a heavy object while trying to turn it. If it turns have
the key cylinder replaced and recoded.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

KYHighlander July 19th 07 12:28 PM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

Turn the wheel slightly, sometimes mine does that if the steering wheel gets
in a bind.

Luke Packard July 20th 07 06:40 AM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

A couple taps on the key and the ignition turned with ease. Thanks for the
tip Glenn.

Luke

lkaboutautos.com...

maxpower July 20th 07 06:35 PM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

"Luke Packard" > wrote in message
. ..
> A couple taps on the key and the ignition turned with ease. Thanks for

the
> tip Glenn.
>
> Luke
>

> "damnnickname" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > If what you are referring to is the ignition switch wont turn, try

tapping
> > on the key with a heavy object while trying to turn it. If it turns have
> > the key cylinder replaced and recoded.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

Now you need to get it replaced because it could get to the point where that
wont allow the key to turn at all
Glenn

§qu@re Wheels[_5_] July 22nd 07 07:06 PM

Ignition locked in 02 Town & Country Limited

On this particular day of this month, in the Year Of The Golden Pig, KYHighlander did state:

> Turn the wheel slightly, sometimes mine does that if the steering wheel gets
> in a bind.

Happens all the time on my '01 Trep.

It's what they call an 'undocumented feature.' ;^)

I know this is gonna sound like you're driving a Windows machine, but
pump the brake and turn the wheel /while/ turning the ignition.

Works every time, at least on a Canadian R/T.

Courtesy of Roadside Assistance, who saved us both us a hassle by telling
me this over the 'phone.

SW