AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   !66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=76546)

Seb October 15th 06 01:10 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

Hi,

My 166 has just completed 50K Miles and I noticed a few weeks ago that when
I start off and excelerate the car power delivery stutters, once I am at
cruising speed it seems fine.

Today I jumped in the car and the symptoms were much worse, the car was
really lumpy and was even giving blow back 'pops'.
As I got up the gears the car improved but when I excelerate you can really
feel the car 'dragging'.

As the car warms up the things gets much better and as I say at cruising
speed its not an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Seb

SteveH October 15th 06 01:45 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

Seb > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My 166 has just completed 50K Miles and I noticed a few weeks ago that when
> I start off and excelerate the car power delivery stutters, once I am at
> cruising speed it seems fine.
>
> Today I jumped in the car and the symptoms were much worse, the car was
> really lumpy and was even giving blow back 'pops'.
> As I got up the gears the car improved but when I excelerate you can really
> feel the car 'dragging'.
>
> As the car warms up the things gets much better and as I say at cruising
> speed its not an issue.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like the air-flow meter needs replacing to me.

Avoid the ones on ebay - they're cheaply made fakes.

Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

The Anstey October 15th 06 06:57 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
> Seb > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 166 has just completed 50K Miles and I noticed a few weeks ago that
>> when
>> I start off and excelerate the car power delivery stutters, once I am at
>> cruising speed it seems fine.
>>
>> Today I jumped in the car and the symptoms were much worse, the car was
>> really lumpy and was even giving blow back 'pops'.
>> As I got up the gears the car improved but when I excelerate you can
>> really
>> feel the car 'dragging'.
>>
>> As the car warms up the things gets much better and as I say at cruising
>> speed its not an issue.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.

> Sounds like the air-flow meter needs replacing to me.
>
> Avoid the ones on ebay - they're cheaply made fakes.

Thanks SteveH, I had an inkling that it might be that from searching Google
but I wanted to check that people thought my symptoms were conclusive with
the Air Flow prob.

What make should I make sure gets fitted, i.e. an actual Alfa part ?

Seb

SteveH October 15th 06 07:15 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

The Anstey > wrote:

> > Sounds like the air-flow meter needs replacing to me.
> >
> > Avoid the ones on ebay - they're cheaply made fakes.
> >

> Thanks SteveH, I had an inkling that it might be that from searching Google
> but I wanted to check that people thought my symptoms were conclusive with
> the Air Flow prob.
>
> What make should I make sure gets fitted, i.e. an actual Alfa part ?

They're made by Bosch. Any motor factor should be able to get one for
you - if they don't have it in stock - it's a generic part used by many
different manufacturers. If you order from Alfa, you'll just get the
same Bosch part anyway.

The ebay ones are sold as Bosch, but a friend bought one only to find it
was a cheap fake. He did get a refund, but it caused him lots of hassle.

Seb October 16th 06 12:29 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
> The Anstey > wrote:
>
>> > Sounds like the air-flow meter needs replacing to me.
>> >
>> > Avoid the ones on ebay - they're cheaply made fakes.
>> >

>> Thanks SteveH, I had an inkling that it might be that from searching
>> Google
>> but I wanted to check that people thought my symptoms were conclusive
>> with
>> the Air Flow prob.
>>
>> What make should I make sure gets fitted, i.e. an actual Alfa part ?

> They're made by Bosch. Any motor factor should be able to get one for
> you - if they don't have it in stock - it's a generic part used by many
> different manufacturers. If you order from Alfa, you'll just get the
> same Bosch part anyway.
>
> The ebay ones are sold as Bosch, but a friend bought one only to find it
> was a cheap fake. He did get a refund, but it caused him lots of hassle.
> --

Thanks for the info SteveH, I have just phoned around for a quote and told
£200.00 fitted. Is it the sort of job thats easy for an amateur to do?I dont
do lots of mechanics but I did change the front brake pads on my car. Is it
level of a job or should I just get it booked in?

Cheers
Seb

Seb October 16th 06 12:37 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

"Seb" > wrote in message

> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> Thanks SteveH, I had an inkling that it might be that from searching
>>> Google
>>> but I wanted to check that people thought my symptoms were conclusive
>>> with
>>> the Air Flow prob.
>>>
>>> What make should I make sure gets fitted, i.e. an actual Alfa part ?

>> They're made by Bosch. Any motor factor should be able to get one for
>> you - if they don't have it in stock - it's a generic part used by many
>> different manufacturers. If you order from Alfa, you'll just get the
>> same Bosch part anyway.
>>
>> The ebay ones are sold as Bosch, but a friend bought one only to find it
>> was a cheap fake. He did get a refund, but it caused him lots of hassle.
>> --

Thanks for the info SteveH, I have just phoned around for a quote and told
£200.00 fitted. Is it the sort of job thats easy for an amateur to do?
I don't do lots of mechanics but I did change the front brake pads on my
car. Is it that level of a job or should I just get it booked in?

Cheers
Seb

SteveH October 16th 06 12:39 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

Seb > wrote:

> > The ebay ones are sold as Bosch, but a friend bought one only to find it
> > was a cheap fake. He did get a refund, but it caused him lots of hassle.
> > --

> Thanks for the info SteveH, I have just phoned around for a quote and told
> £200.00 fitted. Is it the sort of job thats easy for an amateur to do?I dont
> do lots of mechanics but I did change the front brake pads on my car. Is it
> level of a job or should I just get it booked in?

Sounds about right for a fitted cost, however, if you can do brake pads
you're more than capable of doing the job yourself.

Should take no longer than half an hour.

SteveH October 16th 06 12:51 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

Seb > wrote:

> >> They're made by Bosch. Any motor factor should be able to get one for
> >> you - if they don't have it in stock - it's a generic part used by many
> >> different manufacturers. If you order from Alfa, you'll just get the
> >> same Bosch part anyway.
> >>
> >> The ebay ones are sold as Bosch, but a friend bought one only to find it
> >> was a cheap fake. He did get a refund, but it caused him lots of hassle.
> >> --

> Thanks for the info SteveH, I have just phoned around for a quote and told
> £200.00 fitted. Is it the sort of job thats easy for an amateur to do?
> I don't do lots of mechanics but I did change the front brake pads on my
> car. Is it that level of a job or should I just get it booked in?

As posted elsewhere..... if you can change brake pads yourself, an
airflow meter is an easy half hour DIY job.

Seb October 16th 06 02:00 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

"SteveH" > wrote in message

>> Thanks for the info SteveH, I have just phoned around for a quote and
>> told
>> £200.00 fitted. Is it the sort of job thats easy for an amateur to do?
>> I don't do lots of mechanics but I did change the front brake pads on my
>> car. Is it that level of a job or should I just get it booked in?

> As posted elsewhere..... if you can change brake pads yourself, an
> airflow meter is an easy half hour DIY job.

OK, I will save myself some money and have ago myself .
Do you have a link I can goto with step by step instructions of how to fit
it. I have had a Google and can't find specific instructions.
Thanks again for your help.
Seb

SteveH October 16th 06 02:15 PM

!66 V6 2.5 Power Delivery

Seb > wrote:

> > As posted elsewhere..... if you can change brake pads yourself, an
> > airflow meter is an easy half hour DIY job.

> OK, I will save myself some money and have ago myself .
> Do you have a link I can goto with step by step instructions of how to fit
> it. I have had a Google and can't find specific instructions.
> Thanks again for your help.

Google for '156 MAF replacement'

You can google 'MAF replacement' for just about any recent Alfa as
they're all the same.