AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   tool thread spinoff: 12 pt vs 6 pt (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=375221)

AD[_2_] December 26th 12 07:24 AM

tool thread spinoff: 12 pt vs 6 pt

What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
damage bolt heads I got to ask!)

I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
wrenches
and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.

Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

Garrett[_3_] December 26th 12 12:42 PM

"AD" wrote in message

What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
damage bolt heads I got to ask!)

I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
wrenches
and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.

Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

Six points are useless on Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Lockheed etc. Lot's of
12 point bolts/nuts on
commercial aircraft. I haven't got a six point socket in my flight line
tool bag.

Garrett Fulton

Steve W.[_6_] December 26th 12 01:29 PM

AD wrote:
> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>
> I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
> wrenches
> and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.
>
> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

12 point allows more positions for the wrench to move in tight quarters.
There are also many areas where 12 point fasteners are used for
increased torque for a small diameter.

--
Steve W.

AD[_2_] December 26th 12 03:43 PM

On Dec 26, 2:42*pm, "Garrett" > wrote:
> "AD" *wrote in message

> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>
> I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
> wrenches
> and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.
>
> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???
>
> Six points are useless on Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Lockheed etc. *Lot's of
> 12 point bolts/nuts on
> commercial aircraft. *I haven't got a six point socket in my flight line
> tool bag.

meaning that you can't use open end of the combo wrench on those
fasteners, right?

Steve W.[_6_] December 26th 12 07:12 PM

AD wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2:42 pm, "Garrett" > wrote:
>> "AD" wrote in message

>> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
>> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>>
>> I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
>> wrenches
>> and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.
>>
>> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???
>>
>> Six points are useless on Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Lockheed etc. Lot's of
>> 12 point bolts/nuts on
>> commercial aircraft. I haven't got a six point socket in my flight line
>> tool bag.

> meaning that you can't use open end of the combo wrench on those
> fasteners, right?

Correct. Just like you cannot use the two flat open end on Torx, Spline,
or any of the special drives out there.

If you started working on OLD items you would have a set of open end
wrenches and sockets would be 8 points.
Then came the hex head so now you added the "normal" combination
wrenches with 12 point box and 12 and 6 point sockets.
Then spline drive for industrial uses. Then came metric sizes, then the
specialties like Torx and more.

--
Steve W.

Nate Nagel[_2_] December 26th 12 07:18 PM

On 12/26/2012 02:24 AM, AD wrote:
> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>
> I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
> wrenches

They're more useful in tight quarters. I do have a set of 6 pt. combo
wrenches however for "high torque required" situations.

> and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.
>
> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

I haven't a clue on this one. I again have them for one specific need -
12 pt. bolt heads or nuts (e.g. as used by ARP for some applications)
but why they seem to be the default with 6 pt. being the "special
application" I haven't any idea. My rule is to use the 6 pt. sockets
typically unless there is an overriding reason to use something else.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

AD[_2_] December 27th 12 12:08 PM

On Dec 26, 10:12*pm, "Steve W." > wrote:
> AD wrote:
> > On Dec 26, 2:42 pm, "Garrett" > wrote:
> >> "AD" *wrote in message

> >> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> >> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)

> >> I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
> >> wrenches
> >> and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.

> >> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

> >> Six points are useless on Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Lockheed etc. *Lot's of
> >> 12 point bolts/nuts on
> >> commercial aircraft. *I haven't got a six point socket in my flight line
> >> tool bag.

> > meaning that you can't use open end of the combo wrench on those
> > fasteners, right?

> Correct. Just like you cannot use the two flat open end on Torx, Spline,
> or any of the special drives out there.
>
> If you started working on OLD items you would have a set of open end
> wrenches and sockets would be 8 points.
> Then came the hex head so now you added the "normal" combination
> wrenches with 12 point box and 12 and 6 point sockets.
> Then spline drive for industrial uses. Then came metric sizes, then the
> specialties like Torx and more.

what was the reason for the torx?

AD[_2_] December 27th 12 12:11 PM

On Dec 26, 10:18*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 12/26/2012 02:24 AM, AD wrote:
>
> > What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> > damage bolt heads I got to ask!)

> > I nearly always see them on box end of open closed combination
> > wrenches

> They're more useful in tight quarters. *I do have a set of 6 pt. combo
> wrenches however for "high torque required" situations.
>
> > and 12pt sockets are not uncommon also.

> > Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

> I haven't a clue on this one. *I again have them for one specific need -
> 12 pt. bolt heads or nuts (e.g. as used by ARP for some applications)
> but why they seem to be the default with 6 pt. being the "special
> application" I haven't any idea.

to keep the costs for airplane mechanics lower by avoiding the need
to buy special application 12 pt wrenches ;-)

> My rule is to use the 6 pt. sockets
> typically

good for you and your fasteners

gpsman December 27th 12 01:31 PM

On Dec 26, 2:24*am, AD > wrote:
> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>
> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

In close quarters you might get a 6 point on, but can't turn it, or a
6 point won't clock to where the ratchet will fit in the socket.
-----

- gpsman

Nate Nagel[_2_] December 27th 12 01:42 PM

On 12/27/2012 08:31 AM, gpsman wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2:24 am, AD > wrote:
>> What's the purpose of 12 points? (given that they are more likely to
>> damage bolt heads I got to ask!)
>>
>> Why would anyone need a 12pt socket???

> In close quarters you might get a 6 point on, but can't turn it, or a
> 6 point won't clock to where the ratchet will fit in the socket.
> -----
>
> - gpsman

that's an argument for fine tooth and/or gearless "zero degree"
ratchets, not 12 point sockets IMHO.

nate