AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tire Pressure (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=31597)

Lynn Martin May 2nd 05 04:53 PM

Tire Pressure

I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on
the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.

Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size tire?

Lynn
1974 Super

Hal May 2nd 05 06:00 PM

> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a
piece on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi

and Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock

size tire?

On my 74 super I usually run 35psi all around. I probably have the
fronts a little over-inflated, but I have never noted any abnormal wear
so I just leave it at 35.

I think(I could be mistaken) that the pressures listed on the glovebox
door are for bias-ply tires. All I've ever run is radial tires.

Chris

Jim O'Malley \(KCIT/KCPN\) May 2nd 05 06:09 PM

Nope, follow the recommended pressures -- and don't trust the tire boys to
remember!

Most Detroit iron has a fairly even weight distribution pattern, squaring
the car's weight between the front and rear. Beetles only have a third of
the curb weight riding on the front tires. Overinflating the fronts has the
effect of changing your 165/15s into 95/16s -- not enough weight to maintain
full footprint contact with the road.

This concept will be painfully obvious if you live anywhere with wind. You
think Chicago is the windy city? Try Amarillo TX. Last time I put new tires
on my '74 Super, I specifically asked them to inflate to 18psi/29psi. They
didn't, putting in 32psi all the way 'round. I hit the freeway and grabbed
the next exit as a relatively calm15mph crosswind made the car undriveable.

Jim O'Malley / http://vwfilms.net/

Dan Smith May 3rd 05 12:03 AM

"Lynn Martin" > wrote in message
> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size

tire?

> Lynn
> 1974 Super

Follow your Owner's Manual to the letter!

I've read too many warnings about how you should never inflate your tires to
a higher pressure than what VW says, ESPECIALLY THE FRONT TIRES!!! It's
DANGEROUS!!! You've been WARNED...TWICE.

Glenn May 3rd 05 12:09 AM

where on the web did find the tires?

Dan Smith May 3rd 05 12:28 AM

"Hal" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a

> piece on
> > the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
> >
> > Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> > pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi

> and Rear
> > 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
> >
> > Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock

> size tire?
>
> On my 74 super I usually run 35psi all around. I probably have the
> fronts a little over-inflated, but I have never noted any abnormal wear
> so I just leave it at 35.
>
> I think(I could be mistaken) that the pressures listed on the glovebox
> door are for bias-ply tires. All I've ever run is radial tires.
>
> Chris

GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
suicidal???

You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.

You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.

Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and the
car manufacturers recommendations???

Shag May 3rd 05 02:04 AM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 23:28:07 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
wrote:

>GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
>suicidal???
>
>You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
>you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
>
>You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
>than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
>driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
>
>Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
>Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and the
>car manufacturers recommendations???

Calm down, dude!!! Next step is for your post to be in ALL CAPS!!!
When you use multiple !!!!!!!s and ?????s you come off as frantic
and/or annoying!!! NOW EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO PUMP MY TIRES UP TO 40
PSI ALL AROUND!!!
ps- You misspelled "your."
Think about it... "you're" = "you are"
"You are tires are probably rated at....."
Question: Does that make sense?
Answer: No.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Lynn Martin May 3rd 05 02:24 AM

> where on the web did find the tires?

He

http://www.tirerack.com/

Kumho Power Star 758

for your 1974 Volkswagen Beetle Load Rating: SL

Size: 165/80TR15 Blackwall

TR Speed Rated Price: $26

Estimated Availability: In Stock

Kumho usually makes excellent racing tires, and I have heard good reviews of
them.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Lynn Martin May 3rd 05 02:33 AM

> Follow your Owner's Manual to the letter!
>
> I've read too many warnings about how you should never inflate your tires
> a higher pressure than what VW says, ESPECIALLY THE FRONT TIRES!!! It's
> DANGEROUS!!! You've been WARNED...TWICE.

Ok, Ok! I get it! :-)

I got them back from the auto place, and of course, they all had 32 psi in
them. I deflated the fronts to 18, and the backs to 29.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Mike64Bug May 3rd 05 02:41 AM

The 18/29 psi applies to the original equipment bias ply tires only.(which you
don't have anymore) Radial tires have always required more air pressure
than the same size bias ply tire. 18 psi in a radial tire would be dangerously
low. Radial tires are not supposed to have a bulge in the sidewall when you
look at them from the front or back like a lot of people seem to think.
On the other hand max pressure(35psi) for a radial tire that size would be a
bit too much unless you were carrying a ton of extra weight. You'll probably
find that mid twenties in the front works well.

Lynn Martin May 3rd 05 03:05 AM

The Bentley Manual (1970-79) sez:

Conventional Tire Inflation Pressures (Bias ply):

Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 16 psi
Front, 24 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 17 psi Front, 26 psi Rear

Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 16
psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear;
Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear

--------------------------------------

Radial Tire Inflation Pressures (Radial ply)

Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi
Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 18
psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear

All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear;
Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear

- NOTE: Increase the pressures in conventional bias ply tires by 3 psi for
prolonged high speeds but never exceed the maximum tire inflation pressure
designated on the tire sidewall.

Glove compartment in my 74 super sez 18/29 for bias and radial. I was just
wondering if these values were right or not. Probably wouldn't hurt to have
mid 20's pressures. But it would probably drive like a tractor any higher.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

ink.net...

Joey Tribiani May 3rd 05 04:21 AM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> suicidal???
>
> You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
>
> You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for more
> than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
>
> Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to do???
> Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

the
> car manufacturers recommendations???

dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your sidewall
sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set with
a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the pressure
goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure is
designed for...sheesh...)

Dan Smith May 3rd 05 04:42 AM

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> > suicidal???
> >
> > You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> > you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
> >
> > You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for

more
> > than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> > driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
> >
> > Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

do???
> > Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

> the
> > car manufacturers recommendations???
> >

> dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

sidewall
> sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set

with
> a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
> to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
> manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
> wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

pressure
> goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure

is
> designed for...sheesh...)

So Joey, are you saying the tire manufacturer knows more about the air
pressure I should have in my tires than the car manufacturer knows? Hardly!

My point is 35psi is a lot of pressure over the recommended front tire
pressure on the car. Are you saying this is OK? Because it's not. It's
flat out dangerous. It's almost double the recommended pressure. It's
unsafe. It's WRONG!

So don't tell me my point is wrong.

Dan Smith May 3rd 05 04:45 AM

"Lynn Martin" > wrote in message
t...
> The Bentley Manual (1970-79) sez:

> Conventional Tire Inflation Pressures (Bias ply):
>
> Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 16

psi
> Front, 24 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 17 psi Front, 26 psi Rear
>
> Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 16
> psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi

Rear;
> Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> Radial Tire Inflation Pressures (Radial ply)
>
> Beetle, Ghia, to December 1972; 1970 Convertible; With 1-2 persons - 18

psi
> Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> Super Beetle, Convertible from 1971 up to Dec. 1972; With 1-2 persons - 18
> psi Front, 27 psi Rear; Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 27 psi Rear
>
> All models, from Jan. 1973; With 1-2 persons - 18 psi Front, 29 psi

Rear;
> Fully loaded - 18 psi Front, 29 psi Rear
>
> - NOTE: Increase the pressures in conventional bias ply tires by 3 psi for
> prolonged high speeds but never exceed the maximum tire inflation pressure
> designated on the tire sidewall.
>

> Glove compartment in my 74 super sez 18/29 for bias and radial. I was

just
> wondering if these values were right or not. Probably wouldn't hurt to

have
> mid 20's pressures. But it would probably drive like a tractor any

higher.

> Thanks for everyone's help!
>
> Lynn
> 1974 Superbeetle
>

> "Mike64Bug" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > The 18/29 psi applies to the original equipment bias ply tires

only.(which
> > you
> > don't have anymore) Radial tires have always required more air pressure
> > than the same size bias ply tire. 18 psi in a radial tire would be
> > dangerously
> > low. Radial tires are not supposed to have a bulge in the sidewall when
> > you
> > look at them from the front or back like a lot of people seem to think.
> > On the other hand max pressure(35psi) for a radial tire that size would

be
> > bit too much unless you were carrying a ton of extra weight. You'll
> > probably
> > find that mid twenties in the front works well.

Lynn, the pressures you posted are right. Mike is making up nonsense.

Jim Adney May 3rd 05 05:24 AM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:27 -0500 "Lynn Martin"
> wrote:

>I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on
>the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
>Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
>pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
>29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
that they have so little weight on them.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Dan Smith May 3rd 05 05:33 AM

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> > suicidal???
> >
> > You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> > you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
> >
> > You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for

more
> > than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're probably
> > driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
> >
> > Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

do???
> > Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires and

> the
> > car manufacturers recommendations???
> >

> dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

sidewall
> sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set

with
> a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not uncommon
> to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
> manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
> wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

pressure
> goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure

is
> designed for...sheesh...)

Oh, and the max pressure isn't listed as a cold temp, it's listed as a max
pressure. Max means max.

The normal car manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is the cold
inflation pressure you're thinking of.

Yes, while driving it's not uncommon for the tire to gain pressure in the
summer weather or in cold weather either. And that was my point. If
someone is foolish enough to air up their tires to the maximum then they
have no leeway for normal pressure increases due to load and friction.

You also said, ""put yourself in the car the pressure
goes up" is incorrect ".

Who are you trying to BS? Of course the tire pressure goes up as the load
increases. You're talking nonsense.

Since you don't think tire pressure goes up as the load goes up you
definitely don't know what you're talking about.

If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure goes
up.

tricky May 3rd 05 08:58 AM

I may have been wrong for years... I learned ( I think from the AA
(AAA) ) that before a long journey, to put a couple of extra pounds in
your tyres. When they warm up, they soften and need more air.

As for loading up your car, 'my' thoughts were, a given volume of air in
a given space, give a constant pressure. For it to go up 'much' when
you load the car, you would have to see a serious flat spot (less space)
on the bottom of the tyre.

I havent looked recently, but I thought the MAX pressure was like 135psi
or something way up there ?

Just my thoughts

Rich

Jan Andersson May 3rd 05 10:09 AM

tricky wrote:

> I may have been wrong for years... I learned ( I think from the AA
> (AAA) ) that before a long journey, to put a couple of extra pounds in
> your tyres. When they warm up, they soften and need more air.

Air is a gas, which when heated, expands.
On race cars, tire pressures are sometimes critical. You put a certain
pressure in the tires before the race,
and when you immediately measure the tire pressure during the first
seconds of pitstop, you will find that the tire pressures have increased
by 50% easily.
Granted, in that environment the race slicks also get much hotter than
you'd ever see your street tires get...

Jan (Race car mechanic)

Tim Rogers May 3rd 05 11:04 AM

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message

> The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
> especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
> as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
> that they have so little weight on them.

....................Correct! And if the front tires are larger than the std.
165's, they should have less pressure, not more. My '77 has 185/65-15's on
the front and I've been running 16 psi for about 10,000 miles now. These
tires are wearing evenly and handle superbly even when cornering and braking
hard. With no front bumper, There is only about 425 lbs. load on each front
tire which is way way below the load rating of these tires. A tire's
cross-section shape is determined by the load and the pressure working to
counteract the other and less load always requires less pressure to maintain
the optimal shape that maximises the contact patch on the pavement while not
sacrificing the structural integrity of the tire. Formula 1 racing cars use
less than 25 psi on the front tires I read somewhere because they have large
profiles and only 200 lbs. load per front tire at rest and still only about
800 lbs. load per tire from the downforce generated by the wings & spoilers
that are used to increase traction at 200 mph! The worst aspect of this
'theory' that the front tires on a bug should be inflated to the twenty or
thirty psi range is that the tread's grip during braking and cornering goes
way down. I've done a lot of 'seat of the pants' experimenting with this
question over the years and I drive like a maniac sometimes. This goes
beyond everyone's right to their own opinion for me because I've seen
through direct experience that overinflated front tires on a bug are a
direct cause for loss of control at high speeds when cornering and braking.
When the road is wet, this loss of tire grip from overinflated tires is even
worse.

Tom Nakashima May 3rd 05 03:49 PM

"Jim Adney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:53:27 -0500 "Lynn Martin"
> > wrote:
>
> >I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

on
> >the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
> >
> >Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> >pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and

Rear
> >29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.

> The sticker is correct. You could add a couple of pounds to each,
> especially if the car is heavily loaded, but don't inflate it the same
> as your Chevy. The reason the front tires get so little pressure is
> that they have so little weight on them.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

It was overwhelming for me when I first saw the listed tire pressure for my
'66 bug. I had to question the settings also, when I was used to inflating
the tires on my other vehicles at 32 psi. I'm putting in 20 psi front, and
28 psi rear in my Bug. My car handles better and rides a lot smoother at
these tire pressures, however I'm not a racer and never intended to drive
the VW fast.
Rob and Dave's VW website have experimented with tire pressures, I also got
to speak with Rob by phone not only on tires but other related VW matters as
well. I really like Rob for his expertise and honesty on VW's. Since he's
done most of the research, I'll trust his recommendations.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tires.html#pressure
-tom

tricky May 3rd 05 08:52 PM

Ok checked today.

I was way off on the max pressures !!!

My bug/beetle tyres have a max PSI of 44 and my bus 65.

Still more than 35 though :-)

Rich

Joey Tribiani May 3rd 05 10:08 PM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> Oh, and the max pressure isn't listed as a cold temp, it's listed as a max
> pressure. Max means max.

*before* you try to "call someone out" you should study up....i was
certified years ago for suspensions....alignment/brakes/tires/etc...i have
been to school and trained....the max pressure is measured at ambient
temperature, I.E. *COLD*....

> The normal car manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is the cold
> inflation pressure you're thinking of.

no buttlips it is a "standard"....just as you do not check your engine oil
with the engine runing you check air pressure "cold"...

> Yes, while driving it's not uncommon for the tire to gain pressure in the
> summer weather or in cold weather either. And that was my point. If
> someone is foolish enough to air up their tires to the maximum then they
> have no leeway for normal pressure increases due to load and friction.

load does not increase pressure....not air pressure...surface pressure yes,
but not the internal air pressure

i'm talking from education and training...you are spouting off bull****....

> Since you don't think tire pressure goes up as the load goes up you
> definitely don't know what you're talking about.
>
> If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
> then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure

goes
> up.

there are two ways to increase pressure...to add it(through more air or
heat ) or to make the space smaller....you will not resize your tires by
adding weight...you only displace air in the tire from one area to another
when it is loaded down....so to quote you "you definitely don't know what
you are talking about"....get educated before you spout off...

Joey Tribiani May 3rd 05 10:08 PM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> > >

> > > GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> > > suicidal???
> > >
> > > You're tires are probably rated at a maximum of 35psi. That's fine if
> > > you're just going to leave it parked in the garage or in the shade.
> > >
> > > You put yourself in the car and the pressure goes up. You drive for

> more
> > > than a couple of minutes and the pressure goes up more. You're

probably
> > > driving around with close to 38psi in tires rated at 35psi.
> > >
> > > Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

> do???
> > > Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires

and
> > the
> > > car manufacturers recommendations???
> > >

> > dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

> sidewall
> > sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is set

> with
> > a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not

uncommon
> > to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the tire
> > manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not only
> > wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

> pressure
> > goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max pressure

> is
> > designed for...sheesh...)
> >

> So Joey, are you saying the tire manufacturer knows more about the air
> pressure I should have in my tires than the car manufacturer knows?

Hardly!

learn to comprehend what you read...i never said anything remotely similar
to what you said above...

> My point is 35psi is a lot of pressure over the recommended front tire
> pressure on the car. Are you saying this is OK? Because it's not. It's
> flat out dangerous. It's almost double the recommended pressure. It's
> unsafe. It's WRONG!
>
> So don't tell me my point is wrong.

your point was wrong...exactly what i responded to was wrong....couldn't get
anymore wrong...re-read it and don't take it personal...ignorance is lack of
knowledge and apparently when it comes to tires you do lack that
knowledge...putting weight in the vehicle will not increase pressure....and
every "point" i wrote is true and verifiable....and as i said read the side
of tires sometime you may be enlightened....

Dan Smith May 4th 05 12:59 AM

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Dan Smith" > wrote in message

if

> > more

> probably

> > do???

> and
> > > the
> > > >

> > > dude calm down..its obvious you are no tire tech so maybe read your

> > sidewall
> > > sometime...the max psi is listed as a cold temp....this pressure is

set
> > with
> > > a tollerance for an increase in pressure due to heat....it is not

> uncommon
> > > to gain up to 5-6 psi in summer weather on the interstate, and the

tire
> > > manufacturers know it.....so don't have a stroke, your point is not

only
> > > wrong, but basically pointless....(BTW "put yourself in the car the

> > pressure
> > > goes up" is incorrect too...the max weight is also what the max

pressure
> > is
> > > designed for...sheesh...)
> > >

> > So Joey, are you saying the tire manufacturer knows more about the air
> > pressure I should have in my tires than the car manufacturer knows?

> Hardly!
>
> learn to comprehend what you read...i never said anything remotely similar
> to what you said above...
>

> > My point is 35psi is a lot of pressure over the recommended front tire
> > pressure on the car. Are you saying this is OK? Because it's not.

It's
> > flat out dangerous. It's almost double the recommended pressure. It's
> > unsafe. It's WRONG!
> >
> > So don't tell me my point is wrong.
> >

> your point was wrong...exactly what i responded to was wrong....couldn't

get
> anymore wrong...re-read it and don't take it personal...ignorance is lack

of
> knowledge and apparently when it comes to tires you do lack that
> knowledge...putting weight in the vehicle will not increase

pressure....and
> every "point" i wrote is true and verifiable....and as i said read the

side
> of tires sometime you may be enlightened....

Wrong!

Dan Smith May 4th 05 01:01 AM

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
>
> > Oh, and the max pressure isn't listed as a cold temp, it's listed as a

max
> > pressure. Max means max.

> *before* you try to "call someone out" you should study up....i was
> certified years ago for suspensions....alignment/brakes/tires/etc...i have
> been to school and trained....the max pressure is measured at ambient
> temperature, I.E. *COLD*....
> >
> > The normal car manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is the cold
> > inflation pressure you're thinking of.

> no buttlips it is a "standard"....just as you do not check your engine oil
> with the engine runing you check air pressure "cold"...
> >
> > Yes, while driving it's not uncommon for the tire to gain pressure in

the
> > summer weather or in cold weather either. And that was my point. If
> > someone is foolish enough to air up their tires to the maximum then they
> > have no leeway for normal pressure increases due to load and friction.

> load does not increase pressure....not air pressure...surface pressure

yes,
> but not the internal air pressure
>

> > You also said, ""put yourself in the car the pressure
> > goes up" is incorrect ".
> >
> > Who are you trying to BS? Of course the tire pressure goes up as the

load
> > increases. You're talking nonsense.

> i'm talking from education and training...you are spouting off

bull****....

> > Since you don't think tire pressure goes up as the load goes up you
> > definitely don't know what you're talking about.
> >
> > If I air up my tires to the car manufacturer's recommended pressures and
> > then I put 400 pounds of people in the car obviously the tire pressure

> goes
> > up.
> >

> there are two ways to increase pressure...to add it(through more air or
> heat ) or to make the space smaller....you will not resize your tires by
> adding weight...you only displace air in the tire from one area to another
> when it is loaded down....so to quote you "you definitely don't know what
> you are talking about"....get educated before you spout off...

What are you smoking???

According to what you're saying I can't pop a balloon by stepping on it.

Dream on!

Shag May 4th 05 01:01 AM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:59:13 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
wrote:

>Wrong!

Well... it's tough to argue with an intelligent argument like that.
*watches tumbleweed blow by*

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Dan Smith May 4th 05 01:51 AM

"Shag" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:59:13 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
> wrote:
>
> >Wrong!

> Well... it's tough to argue with an intelligent argument like that.
> *watches tumbleweed blow by*
>
> "Stupid people are funny." - me

I prefer the following:

"Stupid people are dangerous."

Shag May 4th 05 02:06 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:51:03 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 23:59:13 GMT, "Dan Smith" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Wrong!

>> Well... it's tough to argue with an intelligent argument like that.
>> *watches tumbleweed blow by*
>>
>> "Stupid people are funny." - me

>I prefer the following:
>
>"Stupid people are dangerous."

You are funny.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Joey Tribiani May 4th 05 02:39 AM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> What are you smoking???
>
> According to what you're saying I can't pop a balloon by stepping on it.
>
> Dream on!

no sir...your reading comprehension and single digit IQ have comdemned you
to ignorance....the balloon thing is actually a very good example of what i
am saying....if you step on the balloon it will pop...we all know this...but
its not due to pressure increasing....so as you say "dream on"....(hint just
for you dip****, you displace the air(as i stated in the actual *RELEVANT*
reply) and it distorts/thins the balloon which is why the failure
happens...has a big fat ZERO thing to do with your dreamworld
statements....the air pressure in the balloon remains constant....and it
overpowers the surface strength....if you would like your ASE certifications
in suspension/brakes/etc, you will have to do the time and classes as *I*
did...now take your lumps and move on you ignorant little troll....

Joey Tribiani May 4th 05 02:40 AM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> Wrong!

i say i'm correct...if you feel otherwise the "burden of proof" falls on
you...so put up or shut up..i prefer you put up so i can continue laughing
at the puppy that came off the porch....you are a ****ing amateur and not
even a shadetree grade "mechanic"..... what a dumb****

Joey Tribiani May 4th 05 02:42 AM

"Dan Smith" > wrote in message

> I prefer the following:
>
> "Stupid people are dangerous."

you are not dangerous...except to society if you reproduce...and im sure you
will/have as most ignorant ****s are too ignorant to use proper birth
control....

Joey Tribiani May 4th 05 02:55 AM

$sy6.563@lakeread04...

> "Dan Smith" > wrote in message
> >

> > What are you smoking???
> >
> > According to what you're saying I can't pop a balloon by stepping on it.
> >
> > Dream on!
> >

> no sir...your reading comprehension and single digit IQ have comdemned

you
> to ignorance....the balloon thing is actually a very good example of what

> am saying....if you step on the balloon it will pop...we all know

this...but
> its not due to pressure increasing....

as a follow up, please Dan-d-man tell me why a helium balloon will burst
when you release it into the "sky"?....the pressure inside the balloon
decreases the higher it goes..but it still ruptures....or can you not wrap
your brain cell around this either?

Lynn Martin May 4th 05 03:44 AM

Nobody even noticed that I spelled Kumho wrong! hee hee

I am glad I take Zoloft. We all should after this thread! haha!

Lynn
1974 Super

Scott H May 4th 05 04:18 AM

"Lynn Martin" wrote ...
> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece on
> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>
> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size tire?

I run 19 front/27 rear, just like the glovebox sticker says.
165/80 tires on a '72 Super.

--
Scott

Jan Andersson May 4th 05 06:16 AM

Kuhmo is the largest (by surface area) city in Finland :)

Jan

Adam May 4th 05 11:48 AM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:55:52 -0400, Joey Tribiani wrote:

> as a follow up, please Dan-d-man tell me why a helium balloon will burst
> when you release it into the "sky"?....the pressure inside the balloon
> decreases the higher it goes..but it still ruptures....or can you not wrap
> your brain cell around this either?

A bird flew into it?

Tom Nakashima May 4th 05 02:37 PM

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Kuhmo is the largest (by surface area) city in Finland :)
>

> Jan
>

> Lynn Martin wrote:
> >
> > Nobody even noticed that I spelled Kumho wrong! hee hee
> >
> > I am glad I take Zoloft. We all should after this thread! haha!

All this time, I thought Kuhmo was a sushi.
I have four of those Kuhmo's and a beer please.
-tom

Joey Tribiani May 4th 05 05:09 PM

"Adam" > wrote in message
. net...
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 21:55:52 -0400, Joey Tribiani wrote:
>
> > as a follow up, please Dan-d-man tell me why a helium balloon will burst
> > when you release it into the "sky"?....the pressure inside the balloon
> > decreases the higher it goes..but it still ruptures....or can you not

wrap
> > your brain cell around this either?

> A bird flew into it?

Adam i hope you are just kidding...the above example can be found in most
grade school science books....

Joao Eliseu May 4th 05 05:27 PM

"Scott H" > wrote:
>"Lynn Martin" wrote ...
>> I just got some new Kuhmo Tires, 165/80/15, (great deals for $26 a piece

>on
>> the net!) for my 1974 Superbeetle.
>>
>> Anyhow, I am going to get them mounted/etc. The "recommended tire
>> pressure" listed on the glove compartment door says Front - 18 psi and Rear
>> 29 psi. This seems too low to me, especially in the front tires.
>>
>> Just wondering what pressures everyone else is running in a stock size tire?

>I run 19 front/27 rear, just like the glovebox sticker says.
>165/80 tires on a '72 Super.
>
>--
>Scott

I run 21 front/30 on rear. Best setup I found...
Joao

Hal May 4th 05 05:38 PM

> GEEEEZ!!! You're running at 35psi all the way around??? Are you
> suicidal???

No Dan, I am not suicidal. ;) The sidewall on my tires says maximum
inflation 44psi.

> Where in the world did you get the idea that this was an OK thing to

do???
> Why are you intentionally ignoring the safety ratings of your tires

and the
> car manufacturers recommendations???

I'm not ignoring anything. I have seen tires rated for a maximum of
35psi in the past, but I do not presently have any on any of my
vehicles. Of the 20 tires I presently own, all say 44psi maximum.

I will try running a lower pressure in the front and run a mileage
check and see what the result is. After my recent carb overhaul I am
measuring out at 24.5 miles per gallon. That seems a little low, but
one possible explanation is that the supers weigh more than the
standard if I am not mistaken. I would imagine my mileage will drop
slightly if I run a lower pressure in the front.

Chris