AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   VW Trikes (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=374301)

Phoghat August 14th 12 09:33 AM

VW Trikes

I am a VW and motorcycle enthusiast and have just had a LAK amputation.
Prior to that I was thinking of building a VW engined trike but now I don't know if that's possible in my condition.
I know some VWs (and Porsche) were made with auto/semi-auto tranny, but don't know if they would hold up with a modified motor, or if they would be adaptable.
All suggestions welcomed.

Jan Andersson[_4_] August 16th 12 03:38 AM

VW Trikes

On 8/14/2012 4:33 AM, Phoghat wrote:
> I am a VW and motorcycle enthusiast and have just had a LAK amputation.
> Prior to that I was thinking of building a VW engined trike but now I don't know if that's possible in my condition.
> I know some VWs (and Porsche) were made with auto/semi-auto tranny, but don't know if they would hold up with a modified motor, or if they would be adaptable.
> All suggestions welcomed.

Hi,

From what I understand (Without having worked on them myself) the
auto/semi-auto trans requires engine vacuum to operate correctly. High
performance engines do not always make as much vacuum, or it behaves a
little different. In conjunction with a very differently behaving
engine, some people say the auto/semi auto trans does not work well with
high perf engine vacuum signal.

There are full auto transmissions that were used in other aircooled VW's
I think, that would mate to a VW beetle engine with somewhat minor
mods.. The beetle "automatic" was a semi-auto, it was a manual
transmission but it did not have a clutch pedal. The clutch was operated
automatically, relying on engine vacuum and some sort of sensor at the
shifter. But you still had to switch gears like you do in a manual, and
there still is a clutch.

Jan