AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?............. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=293390)

EADGBE September 4th 08 04:52 AM

HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.

Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
the problem, but no success so far.

The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.

There is NO pattern to when this occurs. The car can go for weeks
with NO problem at all, and then I might experience the problem twice
in one day, only to have the car return to normal the next day.

It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. The problem has happened
when the car is first started up in the morning, AND it has also
happened in the middle of the day, when the car has been driven around
and the engine is nice and hot.

It has happened in wet weather and in dry weather.

Could it be my ignition switch? I know that it obviously sounds like
it might be the switch, but I am simply wondering if this has been a
somewhat common problem with other Mustangs or Fords.

I am also hesitant to spend the money on a new switch if someone has a
viable alternative. After all, I have already replaced other major
links in the chain and gotten nowhere.

So, even though it might obviously be the ignition switch, I wanted to
make this post just to get other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks could offer.....

jonezzzman[_2_] September 4th 08 05:43 AM

EADGBE wrote:
> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.
>
> Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
> the problem, but no success so far.
>
> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.
>
> There is NO pattern to when this occurs. The car can go for weeks
> with NO problem at all, and then I might experience the problem twice
> in one day, only to have the car return to normal the next day.
>
> It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. The problem has happened
> when the car is first started up in the morning, AND it has also
> happened in the middle of the day, when the car has been driven around
> and the engine is nice and hot.
>
> It has happened in wet weather and in dry weather.
>
> Could it be my ignition switch? I know that it obviously sounds like
> it might be the switch, but I am simply wondering if this has been a
> somewhat common problem with other Mustangs or Fords.
>
> I am also hesitant to spend the money on a new switch if someone has a
> viable alternative. After all, I have already replaced other major
> links in the chain and gotten nowhere.
>
> So, even though it might obviously be the ignition switch, I wanted to
> make this post just to get other opinions.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you folks could offer.....

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Check the battery connections
and the ground to the engine. Check for loose connections on the
solenoid wires.

Next time it happens, I'd try starting the engine by turning the
ignition switch to the on position and shorting the connections on the
solenoid (if you know which ones). I believe that would tell you if its
the ignition switch or not. Hope that helps.

Byron

.boB[_2_] September 4th 08 05:45 AM

--
This can be a tough one to check, since you have
to do the testing when the problem occurs.

The first thing I would want to know, is the
starter getting full power. You could hook up a
volt meter to the start circuit. Watch it every
time you turn the key. If it doesn't start, and
you don't have full power, then you can move the
voltmeter up the line, testing each component the
same way.

My first guess though, would be the starter
switch.

--------
..boB
2006 FXDI hot rod
2008 Mustang Coupe
2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

Bruce L. Bergman September 4th 08 08:12 AM

HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:45:32 -0600, ".boB" >
wrote:

>EADGBE wrote:
>> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang
>> GT.
>>
>> Over the past year, I have installed a new
>> battery, alternator, and
>> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated
>> the ignition lock
>> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring
>> in an attempt to solve
>> the problem, but no success so far.
>>
>> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when
>> I turn the key to
>> start the car, all I will get is a click.

>-- *

Hey, Bob! DO NOT put a signature cut-line like that /above/ your text
- a proper newsreader drops everything below that cut-line!! I had to
paste it back in by hand.

You put the dash-dash-return in the first line of the .sig file.

>This can be a tough one to check, since you have
>to do the testing when the problem occurs.
>
>The first thing I would want to know, is the
>starter getting full power. You could hook up a
>volt meter to the start circuit. Watch it every
>time you turn the key. If it doesn't start, and
>you don't have full power, then you can move the
>voltmeter up the line, testing each component the
>same way.
>
>My first guess though, would be the starter
>switch.

If you get a loud click from the starter, it's probably the starter
solenoid mounted on the starter. If you have a test light and a
voltmeter you can make sure you are getting a full 12V to the small
control line, and to the large battery line. And that it is NOT
switching on the large output lead to the starter motor.

(Old Ford starters with the wedge shaped cover on the side have a
moving pole on the motor that acts as the solenoid, the motor windings
pull it in. And a remote solenoid for power switching. Same idea,
different design.)

If the battery cable is going bad the solenoid pulls in but you
don't have +12V to the big leads on the solenoid - the "clamp-on"
replacement battery terminals can go bad (high-resistance connection)
from internal corrosion and still look fine.

The ignition switch contacts are less likely. If the +12V doesn't
get to the small terminal on the starter when you turn the key to
Start, you trace that back.

--<< Bruce >>--

dwight[_3_] September 4th 08 12:21 PM

"EADGBE" > wrote in message

> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.
>
> Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
> the problem, but no success so far.
>
> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.

If it were my car, the problem would be that the battery posts were so
corroded that the cables weren't drawing enough juice to start the car.

That reminds me... It's time to clean my connectors. I went to start CFrog
the other day, and all I got was a click. A couple of taps with a hammer on
the battery cable connectors created enough of a connection to start the
car, though, so I just threw the hammer in the trunk and went off to work.

dwight

Bob Shuman[_2_] September 4th 08 02:16 PM

HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

Guitar Man,

If you are getting a click, then the ignition switch is almost certainly
functioning properly. From what you describe, it is clear that there is a
resistive voltage drop somewhere between the battery and the starter motor.
The starter demands very high start up current and even the slightest
resistance in this path will cause the symptom you describe (insufficient
current delivered to the starter)

I'd check the battery connections, cables, starter relay (if there is one on
that vehicle), starter solenoid (most likely culprit given the age assuming
other stuff looks/tests out good), battery connection to the solenoid, power
connection from solenoid to starter, and the engine ground (return path from
the starter is through the metal starter case through the engine, back
through the ground to the battery).

Good luck.

Bob

Puddin' Man September 4th 08 05:00 PM

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:52:10 -0700 (PDT), EADGBE > wrote:

>The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
>start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
>over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
>start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.

It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
and the conditions at the time.

There is a mechanical click when the ig. switch crosses the
boundary to fire the starter.

There is normally an electrical click when 12v current reaches the
solenoid.

Did you hear only the one? Both?

Also, when you turned the ignition on, did any elec. components
work (dash lights, horn, <anything>)? Was anything on the car
powered?

My '94 Tbird LX V8 went totally dead for about 20 min. 2 years
ago. I checked most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.
Never did find the culprit.

"I Ain't Blind, I Just Don't Wanna See"
- the title of a tune by Little Joe Blue, maybe 1966

Frank ess September 4th 08 05:20 PM

Puddin' Man wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:52:10 -0700 (PDT), EADGBE
> > wrote:
>
>> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
>> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
>> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
>> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.

> It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
> and the conditions at the time.
>
> There is a mechanical click when the ig. switch crosses the
> boundary to fire the starter.
>
> There is normally an electrical click when 12v current reaches the
> solenoid.
>
> Did you hear only the one? Both?
>
> Also, when you turned the ignition on, did any elec. components
> work (dash lights, horn, <anything>)? Was anything on the car
> powered?
>
> My '94 Tbird LX V8 went totally dead for about 20 min. 2 years
> ago. I checked most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.
> Never did find the culprit.

I had a Vega that showed the same symptoms, minus the click. It turned
out to be a switch problem: shorting the starter started it every
time.

I had a Dodge Dart with the same symptoms. The solenoid had a copper
disk that was supposed to rotate and distribute wear around the
circumference whenever it was brought into play, but most didn't, and
eventually wore an edge off the disk so there was no 12v contact to
pass current to the starter.

--
Frank ess

EADGBE September 4th 08 08:54 PM

On Sep 4, 12:00*pm, Puddin' Man > wrote:

> It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
> and the conditions at the time.

The click I hear is located at the starter. I'm positive about this.
I have replaced the starter -- twice -- and re-verified all of the
connections at the starter and at the battery.

Big Al[_3_] September 5th 08 12:21 AM

"EADGBE" > wrote in message
On Sep 4, 12:00 pm, Puddin' Man > wrote:

> It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
> and the conditions at the time.

The click I hear is located at the starter. I'm positive about this.
I have replaced the starter -- twice -- and re-verified all of the
connections at the starter and at the battery.

If you hear a click every time you twist the key, it's not the ignition
switch.

Al