AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=22)

Tom Boltwood April 29th 04 03:22 PM

Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed

> From: "Emjay" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:13:15 +0100
> Subject: Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed
>
> Hello folks,
>
> Picked up the 164 today, and despite it just being MOT'd and passing, I
> can't help but think that the tyre pressures are low.
>
> The owners manual is missing, so I can't easily look it up.Anyone have any
> idea what they should be ??
>
> For reference:
>
> Alfa 164 2.0 TS
>
> Tyres are Michelin Pilot Primacy 195/65 R15
>
> Thanks for looking
>
> Best regards
>
> Marcus

I'll have a look at the manual when I get a minute, but I always just have
30 psi all round. I've put 205s on mine, and it's made a big difference to
the understeer.

Emjay April 29th 04 09:09 PM

Thanks Tom

I checked them in the garage, and 3 were around 27 to 29 psi. Then new tyre
that the garage had fitted to get it thro the MOT was at 35 !

Anyway, I've set them all to 30. You're right about the understeer ! :-)

Cheers

Marcus

Jacopo April 30th 04 08:39 AM

On my 164 I had 205/55/R16 91W, and the pressure was 2.5 bar (handbook), but
for long travels @ maximum speed there was written to increase the pressure
of 0.5 bar. Mine were about 2.8 bar.
Bye

--
Jacopo
Bolzano, Italia

Emjay April 30th 04 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the info - very much appreciated.

I've checked the tyre size again - they are definately 195 / 65 R15
Michelin Pilot Primacy

Has the previous owner fitted wrong rubber?

Best regards

Marcus

MarkK April 30th 04 10:20 PM

"Emjay" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all the info - very much appreciated.
>
> I've checked the tyre size again - they are definately 195 / 65 R15
> Michelin Pilot Primacy
>
> Has the previous owner fitted wrong rubber?

No. It definitely says 195/60R15 in my manual (from a 1992 2.0TS), but I've
just checked some sales brochures for both pre- and post- facelift (1993)
models. All say 195/65R15 in the tech spec. I had a 2.0TS a few years ago,
and I've just checked my records - it had 195/65R15 tyres, so you're OK!
Sorry if I caused concern, but I blame the manual... I'm not sure you can
trust the pressures I gave either.

I got the manual I have from a stallholder at Spring Alfa Day a few years
ago. I bought it as a memento. It's possible that it was disposed of by the
importer due to misprints... who knows!

Mark

Emjay April 30th 04 11:06 PM

Phew - that's a relief - didnt fancy having to fork out so soon on new
tyres !

Ah well - I can rest easy for now.

Many thanks

Marcus

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:20:31 +0100, "MarkK" >
wrote:

.. .