AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1991 Roadster Headlamps stay up (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=53782)

Debaser January 11th 06 03:39 PM

1991 Roadster Headlamps stay up

I just got this as a second car but am tempted to get rid of my other
car and just keep this now! The only problem I have after fixing an
electric wondow issue is the headlamps.

They dont always go down after I switch the lights off. Sometime they
do, sometimes they dont. I also need to press the lights button on the
centre console to get the lights up/down sometimes. Its all very weird,
and I have yet to identify a pattern.

Does anyone know of a common fault/something to check?

Many thanks,

Neil

Zog The Undeniable January 11th 06 08:40 PM

Debaser wrote:

> I just got this as a second car but am tempted to get rid of my other
> car and just keep this now! The only problem I have after fixing an
> electric wondow issue is the headlamps.
>
> They dont always go down after I switch the lights off. Sometime they
> do, sometimes they dont. I also need to press the lights button on the
> centre console to get the lights up/down sometimes. Its all very weird,
> and I have yet to identify a pattern.
>
> Does anyone know of a common fault/something to check?

Do you get the same problem when flipping them up and down using the
centre console switch? If not, it's the combination switch (stalks).
They usually respond well to being removed and cleaned with electrical
switch cleaner, I hear.

pws January 12th 06 04:41 AM

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Debaser wrote:
>
>> I just got this as a second car but am tempted to get rid of my other
>> car and just keep this now! The only problem I have after fixing an
>> electric wondow issue is the headlamps.
>>
>> They dont always go down after I switch the lights off. Sometime they
>> do, sometimes they dont. I also need to press the lights button on the
>> centre console to get the lights up/down sometimes. Its all very weird,
>> and I have yet to identify a pattern.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a common fault/something to check?

> Do you get the same problem when flipping them up and down using the
> centre console switch? If not, it's the combination switch (stalks).
> They usually respond well to being removed and cleaned with electrical
> switch cleaner, I hear.

Not tying to repeat your advice, Zog, but it looks like you missed the
part in the original post where they said that they are already using
the center console switch to raise and lower the lights sometimes.

The question is, does using the center console switch work every time?

If so, then it almost has to be the combination switch as Zog suggested.
If not, then it is some other problem in the electrical system.

Pat