AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rearview Mirror query (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=174539)

Pete[_11_] July 15th 07 04:29 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Probably a daft question I know but.....

Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to pull
it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare use
in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or should
I just go for it?!!

DogPoop \(mobile\) July 15th 07 04:33 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete > farted out
> Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
> Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed
> to pull it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force
> than I dare use in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a
> trick to be had, or should I just go for it?!!

Buy a new adhesive pad, but make sure you get it the right way round .......
one side is for the window, the other isn't. :)

--
Dog Poop

Stand by me,

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 04:38 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete wrote:
>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to pull
>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare use
>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or should
>I just go for it?!!

Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
son's survival.

Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
you'll perform on your vehicle.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

Tommy[_13_] July 15th 07 05:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>> Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>
>> Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed
>> to pull it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force
>> than I dare use in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a
>> trick to be had, or should I just go for it?!!

surface has to be "proper" clean and then a fast acting and very strong glue

Pete[_11_] July 15th 07 05:17 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>
>>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to
>>pull
>>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare
>>use
>>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or
>>should
>>I just go for it?!!

> Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
> son's survival.
>
> Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
> fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
> you'll perform on your vehicle.

Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
windscreen.

The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was trying
to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
not having it.

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 05:27 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete wrote:
>>>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>>
>>>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to
>>>pull
>>>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare
>>>use
>>>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or
>>>should
>>>I just go for it?!!

>> Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
>> son's survival.
>>
>> Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
>> fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
>> you'll perform on your vehicle.

>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>windscreen.
>
>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was trying
>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>not having it.

Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.

Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
base.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

bernard farquart July 15th 07 06:51 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>>

>>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Pete wrote:

>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>windscreen.
>>
>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>trying
>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>not having it.

> Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>
> Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
> the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
> Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
> ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
> base.

The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

Why would you be screwing around with repairing?

Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
(either phillips or allen)

Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.

Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)

mount mirror above, below or next to old button
(it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
(and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)

If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.

Bernard

(I sell alot of these at the parts store)

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 07:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete wrote:

>>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>>windscreen.
>>>
>>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>>trying
>>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>>not having it.

>> Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>>
>> Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
>> the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
>> Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
>> ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
>> base.
>>

>The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

I know.

>Why would you be screwing around with repairing?

Perhaps it might be more convenient to repair the thing than it would
be to make a trip to purchase the part to replaced it?

>Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
>(either phillips or allen)
>
>Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.
>
>Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)

True, or if it does, not for very long. :-)

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 07:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:
> "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> > wrote in message
>
>>Pete wrote:

>>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>>windscreen.
>>>
>>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>>trying
>>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>>not having it.

>>Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>>
>>Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
>>the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
>>Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
>>ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
>>base.
>>

> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.
>
> Why would you be screwing around with repairing?
>
> Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
> (either phillips or allen)
>
> Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.
>
> Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)
>
> mount mirror above, below or next to old button
> (it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
> (and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)
>
> If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
> too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.
>
> Bernard
>
> (I sell alot of these at the parts store)

yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.

good luck

nate

(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 07:16 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel wrote:
>yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
>Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
>chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
>"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
>compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
>serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
>an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.
>
>good luck
>
>nate
>
>(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

I wish I could send you some of ours. In fact, a lot of people
indigenous to the region like junk yards so much, they start them in
their yards.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 07:21 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
>>Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
>>chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
>>"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
>>compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
>>serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
>>an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.
>>
>>good luck
>>
>>nate
>>
>>(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

> I wish I could send you some of ours. In fact, a lot of people
> indigenous to the region like junk yards so much, they start them in
> their yards.

LOL I guess I have one of those, it's called "my garage" :)

nate

(yes, everything in public view runs, drives, and is properly registered.)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 07:25 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel wrote:
>> I wish I could send you some of ours. In fact, a lot of people
>> indigenous to the region like junk yards so much, they start them in
>> their yards.
>>

>LOL I guess I have one of those, it's called "my garage" :)
>
>nate
>
>(yes, everything in public view runs, drives, and is properly registered.)

Well, until you get to the point where the neighborhood kids are using
the engine blocks suspended by chains slung from trees for swings,
you've got a way to go to play catch-up. :-)

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

Steve Firth July 15th 07 07:49 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart > wrote:

> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.

What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

**** off spammer (trad.)

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 08:37 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Steve Firth wrote:
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>

>>The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>
> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

Perhaps you should hang out with Graham, your condescending xenophobia
matches his nicely.

>>(I sell alot of these at the parts store)

> **** off spammer (trad.)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know
that Bernard is a regular poster and not in the habit of peddling
anything to other NG'ers.

nate

Steve Firth July 15th 07 09:01 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel > wrote:

> Perhaps you should hang out with Graham, your condescending xenophobia
> matches his nicely.

Who the flyng **** is "Graham"? OTOH don't answer, I realy don't care.
Perhaps you parochial clods could wake up to the fact that the dollar is
sliding downhill faster than any of the competitors in the Winter
Olympics and that observation has **** all to do with xenophobia?

I can see plenty of justification for being condescending towards a
country that can't even manage a balance sheet. One day they will all
wake up to discover that China owns them, lock stock and barrel, black
poweder, shot, underwear and my doesn't your Mrs look fine BTW bend over
this barrel and take it like a man, hog boy.

> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know
> that Bernard is a regular poster and not in the habit of peddling
> anything to other NG'ers.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're too thick
to realise he's never posted here before.

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 09:06 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Steve Firth wrote:
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>>Perhaps you should hang out with Graham, your condescending xenophobia
>>matches his nicely.

> Who the flyng **** is "Graham"? OTOH don't answer, I realy don't care.
> Perhaps you parochial clods could wake up to the fact that the dollar is
> sliding downhill faster than any of the competitors in the Winter
> Olympics and that observation has **** all to do with xenophobia?
>
> I can see plenty of justification for being condescending towards a
> country that can't even manage a balance sheet. One day they will all
> wake up to discover that China owns them, lock stock and barrel, black
> poweder, shot, underwear and my doesn't your Mrs look fine BTW bend over
> this barrel and take it like a man, hog boy.
>

>>I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you don't know
>>that Bernard is a regular poster and not in the habit of peddling
>>anything to other NG'ers.

> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're too thick
> to realise he's never posted here before.

Ah, I see...

does the phrase "**** right off" mean anything to you? I'm sorry I
tried to help anyone as unpleasant as yourself.

nate

Steve Firth July 15th 07 09:22 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel > wrote:

> Ah, I see...
>
> does the phrase "**** right off" mean anything to you? I'm sorry I
> tried to help anyone as unpleasant as yourself.

I'm sorry you draw breath you pustulent gob****e. However this side of
Judge Dredd handing out mercy to drooling ****wads who don't check which
newsgroups they are posting their drivel to, I suppose I shall have to
put up with you. Or at least laugh at you as I laugh at the other
village idiots.

Perhaps next time you decide to come over all condescending, or indeed
decide to jump in in an attempt to be the heroic rescuer of your current
boyfriend you will look at the headers of your post. Somehow I doubt it.
Stupid is as stupid does and in your case that's standing on a hill in
lightning season flying a kite from a copper wire and shouting "I'm a
****ing atheist you *******!"

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 09:42 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Steve Firth wrote:
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>>Ah, I see...
>>
>>does the phrase "**** right off" mean anything to you? I'm sorry I
>>tried to help anyone as unpleasant as yourself.

> I'm sorry you draw breath you pustulent gob****e. However this side of
> Judge Dredd handing out mercy to drooling ****wads who don't check which
> newsgroups they are posting their drivel to, I suppose I shall have to
> put up with you. Or at least laugh at you as I laugh at the other
> village idiots.
>
> Perhaps next time you decide to come over all condescending, or indeed
> decide to jump in in an attempt to be the heroic rescuer of your current
> boyfriend you will look at the headers of your post. Somehow I doubt it.
> Stupid is as stupid does and in your case that's standing on a hill in
> lightning season flying a kite from a copper wire and shouting "I'm a
> ****ing atheist you *******!"

I fully realize that you're posting from the YooKay, and have for quite
some time. Might I remind you that the empire is no more, your cars are
****, your own government apparently doesn't trust you, and you don't
really have any grounds whatsoever to look down your nose and pretty
much any country outside of central Africa? Your accusing *me* of
condescension is quite rich, coming from a snotty prick like yourself.
Now go back you your precious little uk-specific groups and don't let
the door hit you in the ass - I mean arse - on the way out.

It's not like *I* barged into *your* little NG and immediately started
insulting the regulars, unlike some people.

nate

Steve Firth July 16th 07 02:54 AM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel > wrote:

What do you call someone who ****s with follow-ups because he's scared
of beign shown up (again) in front of his drooling circle of chums?
Halfwit would seem to be an exaggeration of your cranial capacity.

> I fully realize that you're posting from the YooKay, and have for quite
> some time.

> Might I remind you that the empire is no more,

Try to keep up, the empire was dissolved decades ago. Does news travel
slowly in your part of the world?

> your cars are ****,

Oh indeed they are which is why so many of you merkins aspire to own
one.

> your own government apparently doesn't trust you,

Does the USA PATRIOT Act ring any bells? A president dumber than my cat
signed away all your rights in just 45 minutes. About the same time he
reckoned that Saddam's non-existent weapons could be got ready.

> and you don't really have any grounds whatsoever to look down your nose
> and pretty much any country outside of central Africa?

Says the person living in a country whose economy has gone down the
toilet leaving the currency in freefall, where business are busy
collapsing and the only way to keep the cretins who form a majority of
the population from rioting is to persuade them to go and get killed in
a desert.

> Your accusing *me* of condescension is quite rich,

Let's face it, we have people on the dole who are rich compared to most
of your citizens.

Here's a clue bozo, ****ing with follow-ups doesn't work.

> It's not like *I* barged into *your* little NG and immediately started
> insulting the regulars, unlike some people.

Aww bless, you look so funny when you pout and stamp your foot.

bernard farquart July 16th 07 07:06 AM

Rearview Mirror query

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>

>> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>
> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?
>
>> (I sell alot of these at the parts store)

> **** off spammer (trad.)

Wouldn't I have to tell you where to purchase
something to be a spammer?

Since I did not mention
where he should buy his parts, just that he should,
I don't get the spammer comment.

Unless you are just inbred.

For a few hundred years or so.

That would explain it.

Bernard

bernard farquart July 16th 07 07:11 AM

Rearview Mirror query

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>

>> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>
> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

I don't know if you can get to the part of
the internet that we call "Google" from whatever
rock you live under, but it can answer really
simple questions like that fairly quickly, so you
look less stupid than you otherwise might.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dolla...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

or

http://tinyurl.com/38w3xc

If you are having trouble working your

"internet machine"

Bernard

Hooch July 16th 07 07:50 AM

Rearview Mirror query

On Jul 15, 7:49 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>
> > The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>
> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?
>
> > (I sell alot of these at the parts store)

> **** off spammer (trad.)

Uncalled for, grocerboi.

GK July 16th 07 05:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:
> "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
>> bernard farquart > wrote:
>>
>>> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

>> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>>
>> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

> I don't know if you can get to the part of
> the internet that we call "Google" from whatever
> rock you live under, but it can answer really
> simple questions like that fairly quickly, so you
> look less stupid than you otherwise might.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=dolla...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/38w3xc
>
> If you are having trouble working your
>
> "internet machine"
>
> Bernard

Avoid using or patronizing Google whenever possible. They are extremely
prejudice and anti-neegroes for starters.

Try a better search engine such as http://www.dogpile.com

Boycott Google, save the world's freedom.

GK

bernard farquart July 16th 07 06:08 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"GK" > wrote in message
> bernard farquart wrote:

>>> Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.
>>>
>>> What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

>> I don't know if you can get to the part of
>> the internet that we call "Google" from whatever
>> rock you live under, but it can answer really
>> simple questions like that fairly quickly, so you
>> look less stupid than you otherwise might.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=dolla...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/38w3xc
>>
>> If you are having trouble working your
>>
>> "internet machine"
>>
>> Bernard

> Avoid using or patronizing Google whenever possible. They are extremely
> prejudice and anti-neegroes for starters.

Cite?

Hooch July 16th 07 06:26 PM

Rearview Mirror query

On Jul 16, 7:11 am, "bernard farquart"
> wrote:
> "Steve Firth" > wrote in message

> > bernard farquart > wrote:

> >> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

> > Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.

> > What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

> I don't know if you can get to the part of
> the internet that we call "Google" from whatever
> rock you live under, but it can answer really
> simple questions like that fairly quickly, so you
> look less stupid than you otherwise might.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=dolla...microsoft:en-u...
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/38w3xc
>
> If you are having trouble working your
>
> "internet machine"

Please ignore Steve Firth. He's what you people over there refer to
as an "asshole". It's usually prompted by envy.

bernard farquart July 16th 07 06:51 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Hooch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 16, 7:11 am, "bernard farquart"
> > wrote:

>> > Sorry we don't deal in currencies from third world nations.

>> > What's a dolar worth nowadays? About 25p isn't it?

>> I don't know if you can get to the part of
>> the internet that we call "Google" from whatever
>> rock you live under, but it can answer really
>> simple questions like that fairly quickly, so you
>> look less stupid than you otherwise might.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=dolla...microsoft:en-u...
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/38w3xc
>>
>> If you are having trouble working your
>>
>> "internet machine"

> Please ignore Steve Firth. He's what you people over there refer to
> as an "asshole". It's usually prompted by envy.

Gotcha!

Steve Firth July 16th 07 07:00 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Hooch > wrote:

> Please ignore Steve Firth. He's what you people over there refer to
> as an "asshole". It's usually prompted by envy.

Please ignore Hooch, he's usually getting shafted up the Gary by his
White Aryan Brotherhood chums and the constant poking has dislodged his
brain and given him an arsehole fixation.

Ad absurdum per aspera July 16th 07 11:29 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Just what came off and what remains on which piece?

There are multiple ways of affixing the things, but in the one I
usually see, a keystone shaped metal or plastic thing, a bit bigger
than your thumbnail and roughly the same shape, is glued to the
windshield (directly or with an adhesive pad). The stem of the mirror
has a part that fits over the keystone. So you put up the keystone
by itself, wait a specified interval for the glue to dry, and slide
the mirror over the keystone thing and fasten it down with a
setscrew.

If you just try fastening the whole schmear up there, it'll probably
fall off -- it takes a while for the cement to set well enough to bear
the weight of the mirror. So if my bet is right and the keystone is
still in the mirror assembly, take it out and put it up alone, then
hang the mirror.

There are doubtless "crazy glues" that will do the job, but you're
probably best advised to get rearview mirror cement at the auto parts
store. They usually have at least one kind in stock because that's
an intentional weak point, sort of like a mechanical fuse -- when
subjected to one of life's small violent indignities, like the one
inflicted by Junior, it comes apart (well, most of the time anyway)
right there, without breaking either the windshield or the mirror.

The other important thing is to make sure the windshield surface is
excruciatingly clean -- usually an alcohol wipe or two comes with the
adhesive kit.

Cheers,
--Joe

Matthew T. Russotto July 17th 07 09:49 PM

Rearview Mirror query

In article >,
Pete > wrote:
>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to pull
>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare use
>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or should
>I just go for it?!!

The breakaway fitting is one-way, you can't just push it back on.
Some disassembly is required.

Unless you're talking about a glue-on, in which case you need more
glue.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Hooch July 19th 07 08:18 PM

Rearview Mirror query

On Jul 16, 7:00 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Hooch > wrote:
>
> > Please ignore Steve Firth. He's what you people over there refer to
> > as an "asshole". It's usually prompted by envy.

> Please ignore Hooch, he's usually getting shafted up the Gary by his
> White Aryan Brotherhood chums and the constant poking has dislodged his
> brain and given him an arsehole fixation.

Too scared to reply to my post directly, grocerboi? Now why would I
have "chums" such as the White Aryan Brotherhood? They're a bunch of
****ing liberals!

C. E. White[_1_] July 19th 07 08:23 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Pete" > wrote in message
> Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
> Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed
> to pull it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force
> than I dare use in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a
> trick to be had, or should I just go for it?!!

Are you trying to push it straight on, or slid it over the clip?

Ed

Steve Firth July 19th 07 09:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Hooch > wrote:

> On Jul 16, 7:00 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> > Hooch > wrote:
> >
> > > Please ignore Steve Firth. He's what you people over there refer to
> > > as an "asshole". It's usually prompted by envy.

> > Please ignore Hooch, he's usually getting shafted up the Gary by his
> > White Aryan Brotherhood chums and the constant poking has dislodged his
> > brain and given him an arsehole fixation.

> Too scared to reply to my post directly, grocerboi?

No dingus, that's why I replied to your post, directly.

Sheesh but you're dumb.

Hooch July 20th 07 07:44 PM

Rearview Mirror query

On Jul 19, 9:03 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Hooch > wrote:

> > > Please ignore Hooch, he's usually getting shafted up the Gary by his
> > > White Aryan Brotherhood chums and the constant poking has dislodged his
> > > brain and given him an arsehole fixation.

> > Too scared to reply to my post directly, grocerboi?

> No dingus, that's why I replied to your post, directly.

While obviously addressing someone else, grocerboi.

> Sheesh but you're dumb.

You're the most pitiful individual I've come across on this group so
far. And that's saying something. One can only hope you have a head-
on collision with a lorry.

Steve Firth July 20th 07 08:50 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Hooch > wrote:

> On Jul 19, 9:03 pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
> > Hooch > wrote:

> > > Too scared to reply to my post directly, grocerboi?

> > No dingus, that's why I replied to your post, directly.

> While obviously addressing someone else, grocerboi.

Too scared to reply to my post directly, asshole?

> > Sheesh but you're dumb.

> You're the most pitiful individual I've come across on this group so
> far. And that's saying something. One can only hope you have a head-
> on collision with a lorry.

One can only hope that you receive the sort of consideration and
treatment that you give and wish to give to others.

bernard farquart July 20th 07 09:42 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
.. .
> Too scared to reply to my post directly, asshole?

Seems fair since you still haven't explained how telling someone to
buy the thing they need wherever they want to is "spamming"

Bernard

Steve Firth July 20th 07 09:50 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart > wrote:

> Seems fair since you still haven't explained how telling someone to
> buy the thing they need wherever they want to is "spamming"

There's a braincell out there, waiting for you to connect with it.

I'm sure, well almost sure.

bernard farquart July 20th 07 11:15 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
. ..
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>
>> Seems fair since you still haven't explained how telling someone to
>> buy the thing they need wherever they want to is "spamming"

> There's a braincell out there, waiting for you to connect with it.
>
> I'm sure, well almost sure.

So you are unable to explain your own statements?

If not you, then who would?

Bernard

Steve Firth July 20th 07 11:32 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart > wrote:

> "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > bernard farquart > wrote:
> >
> >> Seems fair since you still haven't explained how telling someone to
> >> buy the thing they need wherever they want to is "spamming"

> > There's a braincell out there, waiting for you to connect with it.
> >
> > I'm sure, well almost sure.

> So you are unable to explain your own statements?

I'm perfectly capable of explaining my statements.

> If not you, then who would?

What a silly question. Have you stopped beating your wife?

bernard farquart July 21st 07 12:03 AM

Rearview Mirror query

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> bernard farquart > wrote:
>
>> "Steve Firth" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > There's a braincell out there, waiting for you to connect with it.
>> >
>> > I'm sure, well almost sure.

>> So you are unable to explain your own statements?

> I'm perfectly capable of explaining my statements.

Then I refer you to my question.

How is it spam to tell someone to go get something
they need, but not tell them where to get it?

This is, of course the third time I have asked you this,
so I won't hold my breath.

Bernard

Steve Firth July 21st 07 12:30 AM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart > wrote:

> This is, of course the third time I have asked you this,
> so I won't hold my breath.

Do you think there's some sort of trigger level at which I start
answering questions from morons? I'll not take anything said by someone
who chooses to name themselves "****wad" seriously.