AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   trickle charger recommendations (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=375660)

Doug[_12_] March 6th 13 05:03 PM

trickle charger recommendations

I want to store a car with battery connected for perhaps a month or
two during winter. What is a good trickle charger to keep hooked up
on it to keep the battery from dying ? Will it matter if the battery
is not at full charge when I put it on? Since I never had one, do
they use alligator clips like a regular charger? Recommendations for
a "good" one regardless of price? Thanks all.

uncle_vito March 6th 13 05:21 PM

"Doug" > wrote in message
>I want to store a car with battery connected for perhaps a month or
> two during winter. What is a good trickle charger to keep hooked up
> on it to keep the battery from dying ? Will it matter if the battery
> is not at full charge when I put it on? Since I never had one, do
> they use alligator clips like a regular charger? Recommendations for
> a "good" one regardless of price? Thanks all.

I have used the Battery Tender Plus for about 10 years. Two leds tell the
state of charge.
Has both alligator clamps and round terminal ends with a connector in the
charging cable. With the round terminal ends, you can wire your car and
have a hidden connector that is easy to access when the car is parked in the
garage.

http://batterytender.com/?gclid=CLHn...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw

Dad[_2_] March 6th 13 05:26 PM

"uncle_vito" > wrote in message

> "Doug" > wrote in message
>>I want to store a car with battery connected for perhaps a month or
>> two during winter. What is a good trickle charger to keep hooked up
>> on it to keep the battery from dying ? Will it matter if the battery
>> is not at full charge when I put it on? Since I never had one, do
>> they use alligator clips like a regular charger? Recommendations for
>> a "good" one regardless of price? Thanks all.

> I have used the Battery Tender Plus for about 10 years. Two leds tell
> the state of charge.
> Has both alligator clamps and round terminal ends with a connector in the
> charging cable. With the round terminal ends, you can wire your car and
> have a hidden connector that is easy to access when the car is parked in
> the garage.
>
> http://batterytender.com/?gclid=CLHn...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw

Second that, even the Junior will do the job on a good battery. Works even
after you run over it. ;-))

Doug[_12_] March 6th 13 07:12 PM

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:26:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"uncle_vito" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Doug" > wrote in message
>>>I want to store a car with battery connected for perhaps a month or
>>> two during winter. What is a good trickle charger to keep hooked up
>>> on it to keep the battery from dying ? Will it matter if the battery
>>> is not at full charge when I put it on? Since I never had one, do
>>> they use alligator clips like a regular charger? Recommendations for
>>> a "good" one regardless of price? Thanks all.

>> I have used the Battery Tender Plus for about 10 years. Two leds tell
>> the state of charge.
>> Has both alligator clamps and round terminal ends with a connector in the
>> charging cable. With the round terminal ends, you can wire your car and
>> have a hidden connector that is easy to access when the car is parked in
>> the garage.
>>
>> http://batterytender.com/?gclid=CLHn...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw
>>

>Second that, even the Junior will do the job on a good battery. Works even
>after you run over it. ;-))

Thanks "Uncle Vito and Dad".... I didn't hesitate to take your
advice and just ordered the Battery Tender Plus. Should have it by
late Friday. Thanks again to both of you !!

Rufus March 6th 13 08:02 PM

Doug wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:26:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>>> I have used the Battery Tender Plus for about 10 years. Two leds tell
>>> the state of charge.
>>> Has both alligator clamps and round terminal ends with a connector in the
>>> charging cable. With the round terminal ends, you can wire your car and
>>> have a hidden connector that is easy to access when the car is parked in
>>> the garage.
>>>
>>> http://batterytender.com/?gclid=CLHn...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw
>>>

>> Second that, even the Junior will do the job on a good battery. Works even
>> after you run over it. ;-))
>>

> Thanks "Uncle Vito and Dad".... I didn't hesitate to take your
> advice and just ordered the Battery Tender Plus. Should have it by
> late Friday. Thanks again to both of you !!

One more neat trick that I do with these on my Harleys is to install the
quick disconnect lead for the charger and throw the clamp-on leads in my
saddle bag...makes for a quick hookup jumper cable set that fits in a
pocket.

No reason that wouldn't work for a car, unless the wire gauge isn't
sufficient.

--
- Rufus

Unquestionably Confused March 7th 13 02:37 PM

On 3/6/2013 2:02 PM, Rufus wrote:

> One more neat trick that I do with these on my Harleys is to install the
> quick disconnect lead for the charger and throw the clamp-on leads in my
> saddle bag...makes for a quick hookup jumper cable set that fits in a
> pocket.
>
> No reason that wouldn't work for a car, unless the wire gauge isn't
> sufficient.

I have both the Schauer (sp?) battery tender and a Black & Decker. Both
work quite well and the wire gauge will not be a problem. Both have the
LED's and circuitry that keep the battery topped off (no more, no
less)by cycling it on and off as needed. I don't think either one cost
more than $25 - $27.

The Black & Decker comes with both the clips and the round terminals AND
a polarized quick disconnect plug with a little rubber seal. As a
result, the Black & Decker was "assigned" to the Corvette and if the
roads are clear and dry in December and I want to take a spin it's quite
easy to hit the road and reconnect upon my return.

Doug[_12_] March 12th 13 12:51 PM

trickle charger recommendations

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:12:45 -0600, Doug >
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:26:19 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>>> I have used the Battery Tender Plus for about 10 years. Two leds tell
>>> the state of charge.
>>> Has both alligator clamps and round terminal ends with a connector in the
>>> charging cable. With the round terminal ends, you can wire your car and
>>> have a hidden connector that is easy to access when the car is parked in
>>> the garage.
>>>
>>> http://batterytender.com/?gclid=CLHn...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw
>>>

>>Second that, even the Junior will do the job on a good battery. Works even
>>after you run over it. ;-))
>>

>Thanks "Uncle Vito and Dad".... I didn't hesitate to take your
>advice and just ordered the Battery Tender Plus. Should have it by
>late Friday. Thanks again to both of you !!

UPDATE:
Started to use it on Sunday and by Monday I could see the storage
light now on solidly. It appears to work great. I guess I should
hold back and give it more time but at this point, it appears to work
just as it's supposed to.

Thanks again to both of you.

uncle_vito March 12th 13 07:11 PM

"Doug" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:12:45 -0600, Doug >
> wrote:

>>>Second that, even the Junior will do the job on a good battery. Works
>>>even
>>>after you run over it. ;-))
>>>

>>Thanks "Uncle Vito and Dad".... I didn't hesitate to take your
>>advice and just ordered the Battery Tender Plus. Should have it by
>>late Friday. Thanks again to both of you !!

> UPDATE:
> Started to use it on Sunday and by Monday I could see the storage
> light now on solidly. It appears to work great. I guess I should
> hold back and give it more time but at this point, it appears to work
> just as it's supposed to.
>
> Thanks again to both of you.

One little detail that I noticed with my battery on the trickle charger and
it could be a characteristic of all trickle chargers (Battery Tender Plus)
.. After being attached for about 3 years, showing full charge the entire
time (green light), I found my battery did not start my car. Found the
cells had gone dry. Took it back to the auto store where I bought it to
get credit on a new one. I refilled the cells with distilled water so that
it looked like I had taken good care of the battery (was a no maintenance
battery, anyway). They tested the battery at full load and it tested good.
Took it back home for another 3 years of use, also using the trickle
charger. Finally car would not start, cells were dry, and filling with
water would not recover the batter. New battery then after 6 years.

Just periodically check the water level. After a long period of time, it
can drop.

Vito

Doug[_12_] March 12th 13 08:22 PM

trickle charger recommendations

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:11:38 -0700, "uncle_vito"
> wrote:

>"Doug" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:12:45 -0600, Doug >
>> wrote:

.. .

>>>Thanks "Uncle Vito and Dad".... I didn't hesitate to take your
>>>advice and just ordered the Battery Tender Plus. Should have it by
>>>late Friday. Thanks again to both of you !!

>> UPDATE:
>> Started to use it on Sunday and by Monday I could see the storage
>> light now on solidly. It appears to work great. I guess I should
>> hold back and give it more time but at this point, it appears to work
>> just as it's supposed to.
>>
>> Thanks again to both of you.

>One little detail that I noticed with my battery on the trickle charger and
>it could be a characteristic of all trickle chargers (Battery Tender Plus)
>. After being attached for about 3 years, showing full charge the entire
>time (green light), I found my battery did not start my car. Found the
>cells had gone dry. Took it back to the auto store where I bought it to
>get credit on a new one. I refilled the cells with distilled water so that
>it looked like I had taken good care of the battery (was a no maintenance
>battery, anyway). They tested the battery at full load and it tested good.
>Took it back home for another 3 years of use, also using the trickle
>charger. Finally car would not start, cells were dry, and filling with
>water would not recover the batter. New battery then after 6 years.
>
>Just periodically check the water level. After a long period of time, it
>can drop.
>
>Vito

Thanks for the tip. I probably should do this now because I haven't
checked it in a long time. Now I don't have any excuse to forget.

Thanks again Vito....

Doug[_12_] March 13th 13 05:16 PM

trickle charger recommendations

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:22:36 -0500, Doug >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:11:38 -0700, "uncle_vito"
> wrote:
>

>>"Doug" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
. ..

>>> UPDATE:
>>> Started to use it on Sunday and by Monday I could see the storage
>>> light now on solidly. It appears to work great. I guess I should
>>> hold back and give it more time but at this point, it appears to work
>>> just as it's supposed to.
>>>
>>> Thanks again to both of you.

>>One little detail that I noticed with my battery on the trickle charger and
>>it could be a characteristic of all trickle chargers (Battery Tender Plus)
>>. After being attached for about 3 years, showing full charge the entire
>>time (green light), I found my battery did not start my car. Found the
>>cells had gone dry. Took it back to the auto store where I bought it to
>>get credit on a new one. I refilled the cells with distilled water so that
>>it looked like I had taken good care of the battery (was a no maintenance
>>battery, anyway). They tested the battery at full load and it tested good.
>>Took it back home for another 3 years of use, also using the trickle
>>charger. Finally car would not start, cells were dry, and filling with
>>water would not recover the batter. New battery then after 6 years.
>>
>>Just periodically check the water level. After a long period of time, it
>>can drop.
>>
>>Vito
>>

>Thanks for the tip. I probably should do this now because I haven't
>checked it in a long time. Now I don't have any excuse to forget.
>
>Thanks again Vito....

Just checked this vehicle and my other. Both needed some water in the
battery. I thought it was a coincidence that both battery's end caps
needed the most water.