AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rear speakers in my C3 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=23963)

79VetteNJ February 11th 05 08:46 PM

Rear speakers in my C3

I would like to install 6"x9" speakers in the rear. Any premade boxes, not
too big. I would like to still store my T-Tops back there.

Jim M February 11th 05 09:15 PM

"79VetteNJ" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I would like to install 6"x9" speakers in the rear. Any premade boxes, not
> too big. I would like to still store my T-Tops back there.

Hello,

I recently installed an Alpine stereo system (cd/tuner/receiver) in my
1977 and put 6X9 speakers in the back. Just go to any stereo store and buy
the speaker wedges. Speakers were like 200 dollars (JBL) and a pair of
speaker wedges went for about 25 bucks. Still left lots of room for the
T-tops... You CAN buy specialty made wedges for the rear of a C3 at any web
based corvette parts supplier like www.corvetteamerica or
www.corvettecentral but is much cheaper to just buy regular wedges
....depends what you want though Hope that was of some
help....Jim

BDragon February 12th 05 05:06 AM

"Jim M" <jim> wrote in message ...

> "79VetteNJ" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> >I would like to install 6"x9" speakers in the rear. Any premade boxes,

not
> > too big. I would like to still store my T-Tops back there.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed an Alpine stereo system (cd/tuner/receiver) in my
> 1977 and put 6X9 speakers in the back. Just go to any stereo store and buy
> the speaker wedges. Speakers were like 200 dollars (JBL) and a pair of
> speaker wedges went for about 25 bucks. Still left lots of room for the
> T-tops... You CAN buy specialty made wedges for the rear of a C3 at any

web
> based corvette parts supplier like www.corvetteamerica or
> www.corvettecentral but is much cheaper to just buy regular wedges
> ...depends what you want though Hope that was of

some
> help....Jim

I just cut a formed faceplate from a nice piece of quality hardwood, sound
deadened the hole, mounted the speaker in the faceplate and snugged it in.
From the outside, almost no sound escapes. I also replaced my three storage
door lids with wood, and on the one behind the passenger seat, I sealed the
hole and put a 10 subwoofer in it. I put a small 200 w amp in the middle
compartment. I rebuilt the kicker panels with wood and put two 3-way 4x6
speakers up front. The final sound is crisp, great bass, and will blow the
doors off if I want, which I don't. The speakers in the back are almost
invisible, and the same goes for the ones in the kick panels. I've never
liked the ones in the dash, so I didn't bother with those. I have just as
much room as ever which in a C3 means pretty much enough for a necktie at
best anyway.