AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Airbag light (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=30055)

R. Sewtahal April 14th 05 05:10 PM

Airbag light

The airbag light of my e36 320iA has lid up,
dealer said it's the seat sensor under the driversseat.
They said it would cost aroud 180 euro's.

Does anyone know how I can fix the seatsensor myself, or is it something the
dealer shoud do.

Thanks

Raj

Jeff Strickland April 14th 05 05:37 PM

My airbag light came on to alert me that the airbag light doesn't work. I
had the system reset and the light has not come back on.

V April 16th 05 07:11 AM

Depends on how friendly and helpful your dealer is, you might be able
to ask them to do the work under BMW Serive Information Bulletin #65
0296 (046). A lot of dealer would not do it because they can't charge
you much otherwise. This work should be done under half an hour.
Bewarned though, if you do this, both airbag will deploy when accident
happen, even when no body is sitting in the passenger seat.

The point of having a seat sensor is that the airbag won't deploy when
there's no one sitting on the seat and save repair cost. (although if
the accident is serious enough to have air-bag deployed, it would most
likely be totalled anyway)

My dealer won't do that work for me, so I had an auto-electrician to
make a circuit to fool the computer that the seat is always occupied
and by-passed the sensor. That has the same effect, but takes a bit
longer.

Best of Luck.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:10:40 +0200, "R. Sewtahal"