AutoBanter

-   Corvette (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   VATS Decoder Module No-Start Failure (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=2707)

Lily A. Sullivan August 10th 04 08:47 PM

VATS Decoder Module No-Start Failure

My 88 ran great but now it will not crank.
The diagnostic read-out code indicates that the VATS (vehicle anti-theft
system) decoder module has failed.
I live in Hawaii and the local GM dealership cannot be trusted to fix the
problem.
Can I bypass the decoder module somehow?
Other than replacing the decoder module and the lock cylinder, is there any
way to get the car to start?
I am desperate

I welcome any advice and am grounded in Hawaii
Frank Sullivan

---

Wayne Johnson August 11th 04 03:05 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 03:47:32 +0800, "Lily A. Sullivan"
> wrote:

>My 88 ran great but now it will not crank.
>The diagnostic read-out code indicates that the VATS (vehicle anti-theft
>system) decoder module has failed.
>I live in Hawaii and the local GM dealership cannot be trusted to fix the
>problem.
>Can I bypass the decoder module somehow?
>Other than replacing the decoder module and the lock cylinder, is there any
>way to get the car to start?
>I am desperate
>
>I welcome any advice and am grounded in Hawaii
>Frank Sullivan

Same thing happened on my '88 - took it to JD Corvette, and they put
in a VATS bypass kit. Cost me about $50.

It's a common problem, and I would imagine most Vette outfits have the
kits, but you can contact JD Corvette he

http://www.jdcorvette.com/

(800) 838-8353

Cool people.

-Wayne

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)