AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Computer for iRacing (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=369973)

Mario Petrinovic August 1st 11 10:20 PM

Computer for iRacing

I would like first class computer for iRacing (I buy computer every
3 years, but it must be first class).
Anybody knows which graphic card (Nvidia or Ati) and which
processor. Is 4 MB of memory enough. Any other issue?
For example, it'll be top graphic card. I'll prefer a single card. I
heard that GTX 590 overheat. Anybody knows is this so?
Any issues with SSD?
Also I would like top processor.
It'll be for one HDTV, but later possibly to update with another two
HDTVs.
Of course, regarding price, I expect to pay high price, but my
second name isn't Rockfeller, so, if something is 2% better, but 50% more
expensive, well, I am not in such a high class, : ).
Thanks

Tony R August 3rd 11 08:06 PM

Computer for iRacing

On 01/08/2011 22:20, Mario Petrinovic wrote:
> I would like first class computer for iRacing (I buy computer every 3
> years, but it must be first class).
> Anybody knows which graphic card (Nvidia or Ati) and which processor. Is
> 4 MB of memory enough. Any other issue?
> For example, it'll be top graphic card. I'll prefer a single card. I
> heard that GTX 590 overheat. Anybody knows is this so?
> Any issues with SSD?
> Also I would like top processor.
> It'll be for one HDTV, but later possibly to update with another two HDTVs.
> Of course, regarding price, I expect to pay high price, but my second
> name isn't Rockfeller, so, if something is 2% better, but 50% more
> expensive, well, I am not in such a high class, : ).
> Thanks

Having used both ATI and nVidia I am very happy with an ATI 6970 running
eyefinity and 3 screens which has proven more reliable than my previous
GTX285 wth a TH2Go.

Processor wise I use an Intel i7 920. I get good results with iRacing
with this combo running three screens.

Won't HDTVs possibly induce some lag? Not sure these days.

Using a 64 bit OS and 6Gb RAM allows for replays to be saved in entirety
though I think there is a spooling option now so this may not be an
advatntage.

Good luck
Tony

Mario Petrinovic August 3rd 11 11:57 PM

Computer for iRacing

Tony R:
>Mario Petrinovic:
>> I would like first class computer for iRacing (I buy computer every 3
>> years, but it must be first class).
>> Anybody knows which graphic card (Nvidia or Ati) and which processor. Is
>> 4 MB of memory enough. Any other issue?
>> For example, it'll be top graphic card. I'll prefer a single card. I
>> heard that GTX 590 overheat. Anybody knows is this so?
>> Any issues with SSD?
>> Also I would like top processor.
>> It'll be for one HDTV, but later possibly to update with another two
>> HDTVs.
>> Of course, regarding price, I expect to pay high price, but my second
>> name isn't Rockfeller, so, if something is 2% better, but 50% more
>> expensive, well, I am not in such a high class, : ).
>> Thanks

> Having used both ATI and nVidia I am very happy with an ATI 6970 running
> eyefinity and 3 screens which has proven more reliable than my previous
> GTX285 wth a TH2Go.
>
> Processor wise I use an Intel i7 920. I get good results with iRacing with
> this combo running three screens.
>
> Won't HDTVs possibly induce some lag? Not sure these days.
>
> Using a 64 bit OS and 6Gb RAM allows for replays to be saved in entirety
> though I think there is a spooling option now so this may not be an
> advatntage.

Thanks Tony.
Well, I am used to Nvidia, never used ATI before, I hope they look
the same on screen.
I need at least 100 fps on three screens, I think I'll go for two
cards (ATI 6950, or GTX 560) with possible addition of another one, if I
decide to go 3 HDTVs.
Regarding procesor. I'll go for the best, i7 2600. I'll go for 2x4GB
of RAM, and 120GB SSD. Right now I have 416 GB free on my, IIRC, 500GB disk
(says 465GB in Windows), so this should be enough.
Regarding lag, I don't know if you know, but some kind of lag
menagement is built in iRacing. This is "cockpitLookDeadZone" in app.ini
file, and the default is 0.050000. Well, I am all over the place with this
lag, but I managed to determine "the right" lag for my system, and it isn't
actually far away from iRacing's default. It is 0.062000.
Regarding all this, too bad that I have to find everything by
myself. Why don't somebody inform people a bit. This way or that way, yes, I
researched all this, and yes, I FOUND the answers I was looking for. Without
anybody's help. Regarding everybody else, well I can say that, who didn't
look for answers, well, he didn't find them.

Thanks again, : )
Mario

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] August 4th 11 10:15 AM

Computer for iRacing

(Mario Petrinovic) wrote:

> Well, I am used to Nvidia, never used ATI before, I hope they
> look the same on screen.

I think fanboys exaggerate the differences. When I moved from Nvidia to ATI I
noticed no obvious differences. They both work. I think anal retentive types might
disagree, but this machine has my old GTX260 in it, and my games machine has a 5870.
The biggest difference between the two machine is the quality of the monitors, not
the graphics cards.

> I need at least 100 fps on three screens, I think I'll go
> for two cards (ATI 6950, or GTX 560)

I'm not sure how well iRacing deals with two cards. In general I always think you
are better going with one faster card than two slower ones. Life is so much simpler
then, because driver support is guaranteed.

> Regarding procesor. I'll go for the best, i7 2600.

Remember you want the K version of whatever processor you buy, for overclocking.
Personally I'm not convinced there's any need for the i7. The only time I'd
appreciate it is probably when editing video.

> I'll go for 2x4GB of RAM

That seems sensible. I have 12Gb in my machine because I thought it might give me
more room when editing, but in truth I have never seen more than 4.1GB of RAM being
used at any time. Fortunately RAM is very cheap now, so I don't mind the fact my
extra 8GB was a waste of money. :-)

> and 120GB SSD.

I remain unconvinced by SSDs for most use. Nice luxury item, but you can get a much
cheaper boot speed increase by reinstalling Windows regularly. :-) I have an SSD
(bought in a moment of weakness!), but I took it out of my desktop and put it in my
CULV laptop, where it made a much bigger difference to my normal use. On my desktop
machine I just don't need applications or iRacing tracks to load more quickly. They
all load quick enough already.

But obviously SSDs are nice to have. They're just not -- in my experience -- worth
the money yet.

> Right now I have 416 GB free on my, IIRC,
> 500GB disk (says 465GB in Windows), so this
> should be enough.

You might want to consider a Z68 motherboard, buy a 64Gb SSD, and use that for
caching your 500GB drive. Essentially the 64GB drive disappears and you gain a much
faster 500GB drive once caching drive had learned your patterns of data use.

Andrew McP