AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tire Question From Sr. Citizen (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=439398)

Bob[_53_] October 9th 17 05:45 PM

Tire Question From Sr. Citizen

Hello,

Thanks again for previous help. Very nice of you all.
Sr. Citizen now, so please bear with me a bit.

Have to get new tires for my 2009 Buick LaCrosse (4 door sedan)

Live outside of Boston. "Fair" amount of snow in the winter.
I leave my tires on all year round, even though I agree it's not the
smartest thing to do; but just too much of a hassle to change it these days.

So, I would like to put on Nokian WR G3 tires.
Have really liked them in the past.

Sticker on the car door frame says: 225/60 R16
Nothing else.

**Present tires are Michelin, and embossed on the tire is:
225/60 R16 98H

I have no idea what the 98 H means ?

**The closest that Nokian now offers for their WR G3 is:
225/60 R16 102 V XL

Again, I have no idea what the 102 V XL means ?

What do all these symbols mean, please ?
XL
and the 102

Think the Nokian's with the 102 V XL will be good for my 2009 Buick ?

Any caveats re handling, snow capability etc. ?

Thanks,
Bob

The Real Bev[_5_] October 9th 17 10:23 PM

On 10/09/2017 09:45 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks again for previous help. Very nice of you all.
> Sr. Citizen now, so please bear with me a bit.
>
> Have to get new tires for my 2009 Buick LaCrosse (4 door sedan)
>
> Live outside of Boston. "Fair" amount of snow in the winter.
> I leave my tires on all year round, even though I agree it's not the
> smartest thing to do; but just too much of a hassle to change it these days.
>
> So, I would like to put on Nokian WR G3 tires.
> Have really liked them in the past.
>
> Sticker on the car door frame says: 225/60 R16
> Nothing else.
>
> **Present tires are Michelin, and embossed on the tire is:
> 225/60 R16 98H
>
> I have no idea what the 98 H means ?
>
> **The closest that Nokian now offers for their WR G3 is:
> 225/60 R16 102 V XL
>
> Again, I have no idea what the 102 V XL means ?
>
> What do all these symbols mean, please ?
> XL
> and the 102
>
> Think the Nokian's with the 102 V XL will be good for my 2009 Buick ?
>
> Any caveats re handling, snow capability etc. ?

More than you wanted to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

--
Cheers, Bev
"Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which

micky October 16th 17 01:53 AM

Tire Question From Sr. Citizen

In rec.autos.tech, on Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:45:24 -0400, Bob
> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Thanks again for previous help. Very nice of you all.
>Sr. Citizen now, so please bear with me a bit.
>
>Have to get new tires for my 2009 Buick LaCrosse (4 door sedan)
>
>Live outside of Boston. "Fair" amount of snow in the winter.
>I leave my tires on all year round, even though I agree it's not the
>smartest thing to do; but just too much of a hassle to change it these days.
>
>So, I would like to put on Nokian WR G3 tires.
>Have really liked them in the past.
>
>Sticker on the car door frame says: 225/60 R16
>Nothing else.
>
>**Present tires are Michelin, and embossed on the tire is:
> 225/60 R16 98H
>
>I have no idea what the 98 H means ?
>
>**The closest that Nokian now offers for their WR G3 is:
> 225/60 R16 102 V XL
>
>Again, I have no idea what the 102 V XL means ?

I don't know either, but it seems like a subset of what the door frame
says to use, so I'm sure it's fine.

Except for XL. I think that means Extra Large. Have you gained
weight? JK, just kidding.