AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...?? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=282154)

[email protected][_2_] July 16th 08 04:16 AM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

I just purchased my first BMW... 1994 525i right hand drive (stationed
in Japan).

Love it so far, but the AC, on high, does not blow very hard at all.
Are there any particular things in the AC equipment string that I
could check/replace in order to increase the strength of the fan? The
AC runs cold like it is supposed to, just not very hard at all. Could
I replace just the actual fan? It is very hot and humid here and
stronger AC would be marvelous.

Not very experienced with AC systems, so if anyone could give some
advice or pointers I woul appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Floyd Rogers[_1_] July 16th 08 04:24 AM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

> wrote
>I just purchased my first BMW... 1994 525i right hand drive (stationed
> in Japan).
>
> Love it so far, but the AC, on high, does not blow very hard at all.
> Are there any particular things in the AC equipment string that I
> could check/replace in order to increase the strength of the fan? The
> AC runs cold like it is supposed to, just not very hard at all. Could
> I replace just the actual fan? It is very hot and humid here and
> stronger AC would be marvelous.

Try replacing the microfilter (hvac system filter).

FloydR

admin[_5_] July 17th 08 08:08 PM

wrote:

> Not very experienced with AC systems, so if anyone could give some
> advice or pointers I woul appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

Given the age of the car - it's very likely the microfilter on the AC
has never been changed and is causing the low airflow problem.

On US cars it is accessed by having extra joints in your limbs, and
getting in the right seat upside down so your head is down under the
glove-box area (and you remove the glove-box) - then you pull out some
carpeted trim panels, look for a tiny door, open it and wiggle the old
filter out. Expect to find dead birds, lots of bugs, mold and other nasties.

Dunno how the access is on right-side-drive cars. Perhaps from the left
foot well.

Whatever - it's a royal unmitigated PITA to do. You might consider
taking it to a dealer and let them deal with it.

[email protected][_2_] July 18th 08 06:51 AM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

Thanks for the Input... this seems like the answer because the fan
"sounds" like it is blowing a lot harder than it actually is. I am in
Japan, so the odds of me finding a BMW dealer close to me that speaks
a little english are slim. I will be forced to try it myself. I hope
the right-hand drive doesn't cause too much of an problem. I ordered
a bentley BMW repair manual, hopefully it can help me out.

Dave Plowman (News) July 18th 08 10:27 AM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

In article
>,
> wrote:
> Thanks for the Input... this seems like the answer because the fan
> "sounds" like it is blowing a lot harder than it actually is. I am in
> Japan, so the odds of me finding a BMW dealer close to me that speaks
> a little english are slim. I will be forced to try it myself. I hope
> the right-hand drive doesn't cause too much of an problem. I ordered
> a bentley BMW repair manual, hopefully it can help me out.

Luckily UK cars are RHD too - so you can get advice from an English
speaking group.
I agree with the others - a blocked microfilter will reduce the flow.
Heating as well as cooling.

--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jeff Strickland July 18th 08 11:32 PM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

I would suggest you replace (or just remove) the cabin air filter.

[email protected][_2_] July 21st 08 12:38 AM

1994 525i AC blower fan... maybe...??

Found a local Japanese BMW dealer over the weekend... He is ordering
the filter and will change it out next weekend, and for about $100.
Hopefully that corrects the issue. I will let everyone know how it
turns out.